Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post
    Funny, everything I read lately says kids are living with their parents longer, getting married later, having kids later, etc.

I'd say you're ahead of the game if you have most of that stuff figured out by the time your 20s are over.
    Yeah it's really embarrassing but I still live with my parents. I mean I'm no lazy basement dwelling good for nothing, I have a full time job and I pay my share for living there but I just can't afford a place of my own right now. If I were to get my own apartment I would be barely getting by and I would probably be losing more money than I can save.

I feel like it's also an old expectation of society that is put on people that are 18-25 like me (24). I remember as a kid I kept hearing that at 18 you should be out on your own and seeing how today is that's pretty much impossible unless you live in a wealthy family where they can just support you or you were lucky enough to get yourself a career type job that pays you well. I am not that fortunate as the area I live in doesn't have many high paying jobs unless I go to school and I can't afford that right now either. I mean, I probably can but I really don't feel like being in debt right now just to graduate and be stuck in the same shitty job I was just in. Only this time I have more bills to pay.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Yeah it's really embarrassing but I still live with my parents. I mean I'm no lazy basement dwelling good for nothing, I have a full time job and I pay my share for living there but I just can't afford a place of my own right now. If I were to get my own apartment I would be barely getting by and I would probably be losing more money than I can save.

I feel like it's also an old expectation of society that is put on people that are 18-25 like me (24). I remember as a kid I kept hearing that at 18 you should be out on your own and seeing how today is that's pretty much impossible unless you live in a wealthy family where they can just support you or you were lucky enough to get yourself a career type job that pays you well. I am not that fortunate as the area I live in doesn't have many high paying jobs unless I go to school and I can't afford that right now either. I mean, I probably can but I really don't feel like being in debt right now just to graduate and be stuck in the same shitty job I was just in. Only this time I have more bills to pay.
    I moved out of my parents' house when I was 18. You just need roommates.

I'm not disparaging your choice to live with your parents, but in most cities in the US anyway, you can get a shitty 2 bedroom apartment for around $1200. $600/month per person should be something you can afford on a full time wage.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Of course they are. While life doesn't end at 30 (in fact, mine's gotten noticeably better), but your 20s are key from a number of standpoints. They're the time when you establish your education, develop a skill set, and your first (and half) of your opportunity to find a great marriage partner. It's not that you can't get your shit together later, it's that handling business during your 20s sets you up for a great life in your 30s.

I've heard from many different people that your time in high school and university are the best days of your life and also the most important days of your life.

Where I live, that's about from 14-25 (unless you spend your whole life trying to finish an university/college), so yes, I guess your 20's are critical. Atleast for your education and the start of your career.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Of course they are. While life doesn't end at 30 (in fact, mine's gotten noticeably better), but your 20s are key from a number of standpoints. They're the time when you establish your education, develop a skill set, and your first (and half) of your opportunity to find a great marriage partner. It's not that you can't get your shit together later, it's that handling business during your 20s sets you up for a great life in your 30s.
    Or in my case, the first half of my opportunity to remain a cub before having to take up the 'bear' mantle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    I've heard from many different people that your time in high school and university are the best days of your life and also the most important days of your life.

Where I live, that's about from 14-25 (unless you spend your whole life trying to finish an university/college), so yes, I guess your 20's are critical. Atleast for your education and the start of your career.
    People who say that high school years are the best years of your life live very boring lives.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

32 here. Multiple occupations in multiple industries.

There's no hurry any longer. You don't have to chase the same carrot the boomers did.

Mostly because there is no carrot. Just running, hoping there will be a carrot left.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Nah, i'm turning 21 soon and i'm already dead inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    People who say that high school years are the best years of your life live very boring lives.
    They are probably the easiest years of your life.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I'll weigh in on this as a man who's 25th birthday is nigh:

I'm an engineer who has had 3 years of steady professional employment. On my salary alone, I can live a decent life, but I've been absolutely anal about spending the money I have on investments that will pay off for me in the long run. I'll give some examples:

1) My college room mate got a $5000 graduation gift from his grandparents and decided to scrounge EVERY penny he had to put the down payment on a water damaged foreclosure. This thing was bonafide shit. I told him I'd pay his bills at the college place for the 3 1/2 months after graduation so that he would be able to put money into the house, with the tradeoff that I would live for free in his place, helping him fix it up. I lived there for a year, we spent about $25k between us to fix it up ($7k out of my pocket, 10k total) and the value doubled. He sold it off for double the price, profited 60k, and cut me a check for the money I spent on the house.

2) With a year's savings plus the refund, I bought into my own rental property. I have owned a duplex in a good part of town for almost 2 years now and run a $800/mo profit while living cheaply with some friends in a house. This cost me a good portion of my savings but I am now in a positive position because of it.

3) In the last 6 months I have began to develop a few side businesses, stuff that can automate itself with little management after awhile. Once these have settled in and I've hired someone to manage each of them (do most of the time consuming work), they should net about 25k a year while bringing in massive tax benefits.

Long story short, I am constantly panicked by the idea of not being financially stable and want to have a net worth of $1m by 30 so that if everything goes to shit, I can live off a small 3% interest investment until things get back together.

That being said, I need to travel more and will put money aside to go to Europe for 2 weeks this year.

yes they are.. though i'd say teenage years are more so.... teenage years set up for which colleges u can get into, which leads to job options opening up etc... also just hope when when u hit 30 life doesn't yank the rug out of everything u have built and u have to start over.. it sucks i know first hand.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22