Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mythic Specific Encounter Advice

Greetings all.

So I've read through the guides and gotten a general feeling on how to play the specs. My guild is currently 4/13 mythic and progressing nicely. My question is, are there any threads/discussions that specifically talk about detailed strats of certain mythic encounters? I'll throw out a few examples.

I usually perform well on Iron Reaver & Council (+75% percentile) but under-perform on Assault and Kormrok (<25% percentile). My question is, for Assault and Kormrok, are people taking Cata + destro? If so when do you cata on Assault phase? Also as afflic, when trinket is popped on opener, do you guys spread dots to other 2 targets or make sure you get a full channel on main target, just on opener.

If someone could point me to an encounter specific discussion it would be much appreciated.

Doubt there's gonna be that kind of discussion around, hopefully someone proves me wrong.

Assaults parses are done by cheesing because the fight sucks ass. How well you do will be based on how much of the AoE you manage to snipe.

For kormrok locks tend to play aff these days because you burst the fight down similar to iron reaver. But if you wanted to parse a destro or demo its the same thing, you just need to snipe as much of the aoe as possible or have a guild that allows you to pad.

Oh and you always use CR as destro, to answer that question.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Percentiles for Kormrok are really dependent on fight duration and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some sub-30s kills there already (7 Arcane mages or some shit). And yes, Affliction with Cata is a popular spec there if you're still doing it the "normal" way. But more popular these days is just pulling to the purple pool and super ST nuking the boss as fast as possible with no hands.

The only time I ended up with a half decent parse on Assault was when I joined a pretty undergeared pug and just had an insane amount of AoE since there were just so many adds up all the time and the executes were mine for the taking. It was a field day. That's not going to happen in any reasonably competent guild these days - unless of course you go with a group of 10 or something.

Not sure what you're asking about Affliction/Trinket/Pull - but probably your best bet to find some encounter specific stuff is just searching this forum or the class-specific stickies.

Great thanks for the input guys. I just won't worry about assault and Kormrok since they seem to be bullshit bosses anyway.

For the affliction/trinket/pull question, mainly what's your opener look like on a fight like Council? I usually just precast haunt -> UA-> SB:SS dots -> dark soul -> spam full channel, but I'm thinking of asking raid lead to delay ring pop for 5 sec so I can get 3 sets of dots up. Doesn't really matter much just wondering.

What's the general playstyle for Kilroog/Gorefiend where you have to snipe adds. Does anyone play afflic? We have a very strange raid setup, usually running 4-5 hunters so I really don't need to chip in any add damage. There's already 4-5 people fishing for a kill shot.

Only reason to play Affl on Kilrog or Gore is for speed kills since affl burst is much higher so it pulls ahead on short fights, destro is for progression and if your raid needs u to take care off adds or go down on kilrog...destro aoe is too good so u can stack the buff up really fast + u can pad a lot of dps inside which makes u look good on meters

Uh, I usually multi-dot on the opener of council but tbh that's probably maybe wrong I just don't care tbh on the umpteenth week of farm so I'm not the best person to ask for that fight specifically.

for kilrogg / gorefiend it depends on what your strat / what your raid needs.

If your raid has a lot of pro-active people who will be on top of mechanics like killing adds, then you can just aff and tunnel the boss, if not then you want to destro so you can carry that dmg on the adds. Personally I prefer to just go for mechanics because I care more about killing the boss than my own dmg.

if you dont stack all inside the hitbox on komrok, pay a melee to taunt the boss into the group you can precast aoe-chaosbolt on the boss

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptolemay View Post
    go down on kilrog
    Thankfully my guild has never asked me to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxxa View Post
    Thankfully my guild has never asked me to do that.
    Its amazing, I love going in visions...with current gear u one shot everything anyway

Hey bud like the others have said burst aoe fights are always being to be a bit sketchy to rank well but with that said you're doing something wrong on Kormrok and Assault.Nobody ever takes cata as destro you need to stay with CR like Bacon said.

Because there are no logs i'm going to make some assumptions so please correct me if i'm wrong.

First off in my exp Assault you want to use class trinket and DSI, the main point to Assault is when to FnB and when not to as well as shadowburn havoc the adds. Assault is the best example in HFC imo of a warlock being able to show case that they know how to roll embers ie always having enough embers to aoe and generate that 1 ember into many or rolling the shadowburns around.

If you run into a situation where you think to yourself "man there is 3-4 targets + i could aoe incin " or "that target is low i should shadowburn it" but you have no embers then you need to work on ember management but keep in mind when i was progressing on this fight i felt with class trinket i could somewhat maintain aoe incin on 3 targets with 5 stack trinket.

Kormrok is going to come down to hand dps, now there are a few different ways you can do this fight, affliction with cata (if your hand dps is a just a tiny bit behind),destro (normal CR) or demon with cata.
    Demon is just going to blow away the hands between double CW and cata and felstorm, but since you mentioned destruction im going to give you my 2 cents on that spec for this fight.

Destruction this is what i like to do but i am no means a expert but i have cleared mythic hfc, take DS glyph so you have a DS for every hand.
    0: before hands have 3 embers so when you precast FnB cb you have 1 ember to do step 2.
    1st : you want to 2-3 second DS and pre cast FnB cb on the boss so when hands spawn you hit them
    2nd : FnB conflag to recharge embers to full
    3rd : FnB chaos bolt
    4th: if hands are still not close to dead aoe incin and aoe cb again , if they are scattered and low, havoc the boss and sb (you should be taking glyph of havoc so you can 6x sb cleave onto the boss)

- - - Updated - - -

Just a tip as affliction for council, again this is just imo but SB:SS is bad for the pull.

Open with pre cast SB:Haunt as usual and just apply your dots to everything , with ds rolling and a bit of luck i can get haunts all on targets and maintain it for a while by using drain soul and tabbing to each target (with DS active) to keep haunt on all 3 targets for some dank damage. I do the same with on tyrants first add but on tyrant i double DS back to back from the pull to maintain haunt for ages but you cannot do this iirc on council since you should probably save it for burning the first target when you hero + exe but i could be wrong its been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoblade View Post
    Hey bud like the others have said burst aoe fights are always being to be a bit sketchy to rank well but with that said you're doing something wrong on Kormrok and Assault.Nobody ever takes cata as destro you need to stay with CR like Bacon said.

Because there are no logs i'm going to make some assumptions so please correct me if i'm wrong.

First off in my exp Assault you want to use class trinket and DSI, the main point to Assault is when to FnB and when not to as well as shadowburn havoc the adds. Assault is the best example in HFC imo of a warlock being able to show case that they know how to roll embers ie always having enough embers to aoe and generate that 1 ember into many or rolling the shadowburns around.

If you run into a situation where you think to yourself "man there is 3-4 targets + i could aoe incin " or "that target is low i should shadowburn it" but you have no embers then you need to work on ember management but keep in mind when i was progressing on this fight i felt with class trinket i could somewhat maintain aoe incin on 3 targets with 5 stack trinket.

Kormrok is going to come down to hand dps, now there are a few different ways you can do this fight, affliction with cata (if your hand dps is a just a tiny bit behind),destro (normal CR) or demon with cata.
    Demon is just going to blow away the hands between double CW and cata and felstorm, but since you mentioned destruction im going to give you my 2 cents on that spec for this fight.

Destruction this is what i like to do but i am no means a expert but i have cleared mythic hfc, take DS glyph so you have a DS for every hand.
    0: before hands have 3 embers so when you precast FnB cb you have 1 ember to do step 2.
    1st : you want to 2-3 second DS and pre cast FnB cb on the boss so when hands spawn you hit them
    2nd : FnB conflag to recharge embers to full
    3rd : FnB chaos bolt
    4th: if hands are still not close to dead aoe incin and aoe cb again , if they are scattered and low, havoc the boss and sb (you should be taking glyph of havoc so you can 6x sb cleave onto the boss)

- - - Updated - - -

Just a tip as affliction for council, again this is just imo but SB:SS is bad for the pull.

Open with pre cast SB:Haunt as usual and just apply your dots to everything , with ds rolling and a bit of luck i can get haunts all on targets and maintain it for a while by using drain soul and tabbing to each target (with DS active) to keep haunt on all 3 targets for some dank damage. I do the same with on tyrants first add but on tyrant i double DS back to back from the pull to maintain haunt for ages but you cannot do this iirc on council since you should probably save it for burning the first target when you hero + exe but i could be wrong its been a while.
    Thanks everyone for all of the advice. Great point regarding the Council opener, I'll definitely have to try that, triple haunt uptime is sexy lol.

One random game play question. My computer sometimes stalls on hands during Kormrok and on Archimonde when a lot of fire is out. Does anyone else have this problem or have a recommendation on how I can improve performance? I have a really good machine (Lenovo - Ideapad) and run on ultra settings. If I turn my settings down to get more performance, which have you guys noticed makes the biggest difference? I like pretty things and dont want to turn it all the way down lol.

Its amazing, I love going in visions...with current gear u one shot everything anyway
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=go+down

Regarding the stutter, i think everyone gets that on some level. I have shadows on medium same with particle effects.

hence why i didnt say that specific phrase :P

First off in my exp Assault you want to use class trinket and DSI
    Lolwut. Assault is like the worst fight in all of HFC to use the class trinket since nothing will live long enough to get 5 stacks, you'll be lucky to get 2 on most targets. Use GSR if you have it, UGoS or Piston if you don't.

Regarding hands, I've always been aff for that fight but imo it's better to just get 40 embers before they spawn and use 2x FnB CB, if they live long enough for cb -> incin -> cb then you should make sure the rest of your group is nuking the hands effectively.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dont think to much about your percentile on progress. Make sure you do damage where it is needed and dont take unnecessary damage. Ranks is something you can go for when youre done with progress.
    Former highend raider. Now highend moron

Quick update,

We are flying through content, 3 weeks of raiding and we are 5/13. First night of Gorefiend attempts was ROUGH. Any suggestions? I flip flopped between afflic and destro. Would like to go afflic for fester phase but we weren't even making it so I swapped destro to help adds.

Go destro, make it your #1 priority to top the meters on constructs and essences. There is nothing more important that you'll be doing on that fight besides killing those 2 adds.

That fight has a lot of moving parts that require lots of coordination and that's usually what gets guilds. The entire fight is about managing the constructs / essences, and if you get behind on either you will wipe. If people fall behind downstairs people will fall behind upstairs and you'll wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Go destro, make it your #1 priority to top the meters on constructs and essences. There is nothing more important that you'll be doing on that fight besides killing those 2 adds.
    Agreed, Destro is undoubtedly the better spec for progression on Snorefiend. There's so much room for cleaving Shadowburn onto the boss that can focus on adds while your boss damage ticks away. The feast phase is quite easy, just make sure you enter it with full embers and everything off CD, with the ring Destro is still capable of doing really good damage in this phase.

hence why i didnt say that specific phrase :P
    Yea, but the guy who replied to was making a joke about the use of that phrase which was amusing to me.