Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Funcom.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Oh hell yeah, survival game number 3427, I cant wait...
    Well it's either that or Korean f2p junk number 554465

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    If you only know Funcom from mmo's your loss.
    How so? I have seen there list of games and I am not impressed. TSW was ok-ish but Conan (The MMO) was shit.

The only other game they got from this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funcom#Developed_games was Anarchy Online and it was boring as hell.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    How so? I have seen there list of games and I am not impressed. TSW was ok-ish but Conan (The MMO) was shit.

The only other game they got from this list (removed) was Anarchy Online and it was boring as hell.
    Age of Conan was way ahead of it's time graphics wise. WOW ripped a lot of their stuff from Anarchy Online, and TSW is the only "horror" adventure MMO out there, since Funcom dared trying to create something new, as they always do. There's a lot of Funcom haters out there, many of those had crappy computers when AOC was released.

When it comes to other games, Funcom has these titles:
    * The Longest Journey.
    * Dreamfall.
    * Speed Freaks.
    * CMX.

Along with other titles for Sega and Playstation back in the days. They've returned to their roots now, and according to their strategy, they will develop 2 smaller, single player games, pr. year, in addition to one larger game - which in this case is Conan Exiles.

Just because they released a game which your computer couldn't handle, doesn't mean that this game will suck. Funcom haters always gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ConanTheBarbarian View Post
    Age of Conan was way ahead of it's time graphics wise. WOW ripped a lot of their stuff from Anarchy Online, and TSW is the only "horror" adventure MMO out there, since Funcom dared trying to create something new, as they always do. There's a lot of Funcom haters out there, many of those had crappy computers when AOC was released.

When it comes to other games, Funcom has these titles:
    * The Longest Journey.
    * Dreamfall.
    * Speed Freaks.
    * CMX.

Along with other titles for Sega and Playstation back in the days. They've returned to their roots now, and according to their strategy, they will develop 2 smaller, single player games, pr. year, in addition to one larger game - which in this case is Conan Exiles.

Just because they released a game which your computer couldn't handle, doesn't mean that this game will suck. Funcom haters always gonna hate.
    Funcom gets + for inovation but the - out weighs it and the - is execution. They fail hard on executing their shit one after another.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a good computer to run AoC at release. The graphics are still good today but the game was never great. The combo system that they talked about during development became extremely watered down to the point of tedious. They also avoided answering questions about the development of AoC combat system, they same way they are doing now.

The engine of Age of Conan was updated a few years ago. Along with the game receiving a lot of design overhaul. It's a fairly well designed game compared to release- as tends to be the case with all games in active live development.

Funcom are terrific game designers. They just don't have tons of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played a few years ago. The combo system was still the same watered down one, and it felt a bit p2w since only subscribers get access to dungeons. Unless this update happened afterwards.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't really understand the hate Funcom gets. Secret World is an amazing game and Age of Conans biggest fuck up was a buggy release, that game is and has been actually quite solid for years now but lost a good portion of its population and had trouble bringing it back with Unchained. If they had OCE servers I would've continued to play AoC for years

Most people only remember the very start of AoC and continually use that as a reason to hate on an entire company, much like people who still hate on Diablo 3 today for what it was at release.

That being said this game looks pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Don't really understand the hate Funcom gets. Secret World is an amazing game and Age of Conans biggest fuck up was a buggy release, that game is and has been actually quite solid for years now but lost a good portion of its population and had trouble bringing it back with Unchained. If they had OCE servers I would've continued to play AoC for years

Most people only remember the very start of AoC and continually use that as a reason to hate on an entire company, much like people who still hate on Diablo 3 today for what it was at release.

That being said this game looks pretty fun.
    Both TSW and AoC had rocky releases. AoC's rocky release was entirely on them. It had a reasonably solid starting experience and then dropped the player in a pre-WoWVanilla grind that's simply not meant for the general public and quite frankly, neither for this aging gamer. With age came less time and dedication. I wish it weren't so. Funcom then took several years, not months, years, to update their content to a reasonable baseline.

TSW was a terrible grind as well and had massively clunky combat. If you picked the wrong primary weapon and the wrong set of skills (define wrong, but at least less efficient) and you would be stuck in reroll limbo, having to grind your way through early game again and again. Thats said, TSW had and has a pretty solid artistic direction and lacks no creativity. Reducing the grind (waaay too late) and opening it as 'Buy to Play', should have been done at release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

The only other game they got from this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funcom#Developed_games was Anarchy Online and it was boring as hell.
    You have seen the list of games. Okay so again if you only know their mmo's your loss. Anarchy Online being boring for you does not speak of how good or bad of a game it was you are no authority on gaming sorry, which is rather obvious by your statements.

Plenty of titles got awarded, as controversial as some were especially the mmo's. TLJ got adventure game of the year award for example.

All you did was confirm what i just said as you purely speak of the mmo's

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    I had a good computer to run AoC at release. The graphics are still good today but the game was never great. The combo system that they talked about during development became extremely watered down to the point of tedious. They also avoided answering questions about the development of AoC combat system, they same way they are doing now.
    The combo system the original one, if you were among the first beta testers never really saw the light of day in beta. It was already shot down by internal testers in alpha and what was said of it was that it was a very random system where you had little to no control of which combo triggered when.

The other part was the combo's had to made shorter, one of the biggest complaints of melee classes was the time it took to land a combo. Imagine trying to stay in range as melee for 8 hits to get one special ability off. I played a hox and combined with animation speed, server performance and time to land a combo yeah in PvE it felt like you always had to plan too far ahead to don't miss the finisher and in PvP well, either you could burst or you wouldn't kill a thing sustain damage as melee in PvP against ranged forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You have seen the list of games. Okay so again if you only know their mmo's your loss. Anarchy Online being boring for you does not speak of how good or bad of a game it was you are no authority on gaming sorry, which is rather obvious by your statements.

Plenty of titles got awarded, as controversial as some were especially the mmo's. TLJ got adventure game of the year award for example.

All you did was confirm what i just said as you purely speak of the mmo's
    Allow me to counter your counter with a c... response;

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey 2006 Adventure PC, Xbox
    Anarchy Online 2001 MMORPG PC
    CMX 1999 Racing PlayStation Developed by Funcom Dublin
    The Longest Journey 1999 Adventure PC
    Speed Freaks 1999 Racing PlayStation Developed by Funcom Dublin
    NBA Hangtime 1997 Sports Mega Drive/Genesis
    Casper 1996 Puzzle Adventure Sega Saturn
    Impact Racing 1996 Racing PlayStation, Sega Saturn Developed by Funcom Dublin
    Conan Exiles 2016 Survival PC Developed by Funcom Oslo
    The Park 2015 Adventure PC Developed by Funcom Oslo
    Lego Minifigures Online 2014 MMORPG PC, Android, iOS
    Pets vs. Monsters 2012 MMORPG PC, Mac OS X
    Fashion Week Live 2012 Facebook Game Facebook Fashion based social game
    The Secret World 2012 MMORPG PC
    Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer 2010 MMORPG PC The first expansion pack for Age of Conan
    Age of Conan: Unchained 2008 MMORPG PC
    So, what can we conclude here? Since (after) 2006, every single game Funcom has made, has either never seen the spotlight, or turned out to be a disappointment. Even though the direction is the same (AoC = Didrik Tollefsen, Longest Journey=Didrik Tollefsen), people lose their touch.

Is the first 10 years of fame really enough to diminish the last 10 years of poor results?

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Allow me to counter your counter with a c... response;

So, what can we conclude here? Since (after) 2006, every single game Funcom has made, has either never seen the spotlight, or turned out to be a disappointment. Even though the direction is the same (AoC = Didrik Tollefsen, Longest Journey=Didrik Tollefsen), people lose their touch.

Is the first 10 years of fame really enough to diminish the last 10 years of poor results?
    I haven't played any of the others, but how is The Secret World a disappointment? I'm having a blast with it. Not every game has to compete for top5 in order to be considered a success, though in this case TSW does make the top 5 for me in terms of mmorpgs

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAccuracy View Post
    I haven't played any of the others, but how is The Secret World a disappointment? I'm having a blast with it. Not every game has to compete for top5 in order to be considered a success, though in this case TSW does make the top 5 for me in terms of mmorpgs
    The way TSW currently plays, compared to how it played at launch. As I said before; Rocky launch, quickly declining userbase, F2P transition (though arguably too late) and the recent news that there was some form of financial trouble at Funcom. If anything, TSW is the best Funcom has made in 10 years. And it's good, but it's not great.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way TSW currently plays, compared to how it played at launch. As I said before; Rocky launch, quickly declining userbase, F2P transition (though arguably too late) and the recent news that there was some form of financial trouble at Funcom. If anything, TSW is the best Funcom has made in 10 years. And it's good, but it's not great.
    Has the best atmosphere and story of any mmo I've played imo.

Funcom always have amazing ideas and plans and fail on polish. They're like the inverse of Blizzard.

Their recent projects are also all over the place, they have no real developer identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Has the best atmosphere and story of any mmo I've played imo.
    Absolutely, but it has other issues, elsewhere, like clunky combat. Like having to do the tutorial every single character you roll, like... plenty of issues. It's the best storytelling MMO in a horror setting around, but it also has no competition. They put in the effort, but the end-result simply wasn't perfect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    /runs far away
    This.

Not only that, but early access open world survival is an obvious cash grab scheme and an opportunity to keep the game in development indefinitely. Why actually finish a game and be forced to be held accountable for problems when you can hide behind the claim of "it's not done yet!" while still charging money for it?

Early access is a blight upon gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely, but it has other issues, elsewhere, like clunky combat. Like having to do the tutorial every single character you roll, like... plenty of issues. It's the best storytelling MMO in a horror setting around, but it also has no competition. They put in the effort, but the end-result simply wasn't perfect.
    Also that difficulty curve at launch... what were they thinking in a game that allows you to freely pick your skills.

I also agree that early access and Funcom might be an awful combination, given their track record of lack of polish.

Looks like Rust meets Far Cry Primal meets Age of Conan?

Has potential. Glad they aren't trying to shoehorn an MMO in this day and age. But after AoC and The Secret World I don't have a lot of faith left in Funcom. But this seems like a significant departure from their attempts at making an MMO so I'm willing to give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I also agree that early access and Funcom might be an awful combination, given their track record of lack of polish.
    Who knows? Maybe it's exactly what Funcom needs.

Don't anyone hold their breath though.

Deleted
    a multiplayer open-world survival game
    Almost as promising as a "First person horror game on Steam"