Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Politics has certainly turned into an us vs them game much more than it was in the past.
    Not particularly. Politics in the US been adversarial for most of its existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    There are, admittedly, some situations where compromise isn't possible, and in an ideal world neither party stands for denying a group rights.

Because that is why it was a with us or against us war; there was no compromise that gave them the same rights as everyone else while denying them those same rights that didn't violate the law (separate but equal is not a valid compromise, and was the only thing that was offered).
    Compromise is also in the eye of the beholder.

Hyperbolic example. Let's say some of those people would settle for not having gays kiss in public over a full ban. To them, that's a compromise. To others, it isn't

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blomster View Post
    Well, if I vote for a left-wing party and they're the government, I don't want a centrist policy or right-wing policy because they had to comrpomise with right-wing parties. ._.
    Stop voting for left wing parties then and vote for centre right parties. Problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

Hyperbolic example. Let's say some of those people would settle for not having gays kiss in public over a full ban. To them, that's a compromise. To others, it isn't
    Some things shouldn't be compromised on.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    When a group gets themselves a big ole heap o Jeebus in them, they are right by default. No compromises. Because God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

That's still a denial of rights, unless the ban extends to *all* people kissing.

I have no idea...i was ranting about this to family earlier this week...I look for politicians that understand the power of compromise. in the real world no one gets something for nothing. has to be an exchange, yet our elected officials seem to think that they should just get their way and dick those who disagree with them.

One of my friends mentioned Bernies plan and my thoughts were essentially that it's an all well and good plan, but when congress is run by the banks/wealthy/big business, you aren't going to get them to go along with it, unless part of your plan is to compromise with them and give them something in exchange for taking more of their money.

Here in ohio recently the sierra club brokered a deal with our local power company and the state government that they would phase out a few coal plants and replace them with solar plants. what they gave them in return was more money to help them hire solar power experts to implement it and train the current coal employees to work in solar, so there wouldnt be a mass layoff or loss of profit. city wins, environment wins, company wins. That's how i like seeing it done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Stop voting for left wing parties then and vote for centre right parties. Problem solved.
    I want left-wing policies. ._.

That's still a denial of rights, unless the ban extends to *all* people kissing.
    I'd accept the full ban on pda. It would still be painted as an attack on gays and not a compromise. That's the part about "eye of beholder" I was talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people decided to stop focusing on governing and start focusing on winning.
    This pretty much summarizes the US government today. They are so focused on competing with each rather than actually solving problems. Just look at this presidential candidacy. All that's being done is them bickering at each other to see who can bicker the loudest and get the most applause. It's a joke. This country is so divided it's crazy. No one wants to work together anymore we're always butting heads over opinions and never...compromising.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's come to mean weakness.

I'd accept the full ban on pda. It would still be painted as an attack on gays and not a compromise. That's the part about "eye of beholder" I was talking about.
    Only by crazed fanatics, and it'd be equally denounced as an attack on straights. or pansexuals. or pandering to asexuals.

listening to fringe is never a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blomster View Post
    Well, we've not had many minority governments, so there's not been much compromising but now the left-wing is just compromosing all the time and abandoning their policies. The social democrats are at a record low now, partially because of this. People who vote for the social democrats don't want the moderate parties policies, that's why they voted for the social democrats instead of the moderate party. >.<

The moderate party being a conservative party means like, everyone voting left-wing doesn't want their policies. Works to some extent with the centre party and the liberals, but the christian democrats and moderate party are like, conservative parties that are pretty contrary to the social democrats policies. :l
    Doesn't help Social Demokraterna that Stefan Löfven is quite bland, he doesn't strike me as the leader type.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Only by crazed fanatics, and it'd be equally denounced as an attack on straights. or pansexuals. or pandering to asexuals.

listening to fringe is never a good idea.
    I don't see how. Most places banned pda from the start.

And about fringe. Why do we listen to college based feminism then? (AAAAAY)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Sometimes compromise waters down the original intent so much that the policy becomes pointless.

Compromise can be seen as a weakening of your stance on a position, but it depends entirely on what is being discussed, so it's virtually impossible to give an answer to your question unless you give numerous examples.

It's not always the right approach but American politics is so toxic, people act like it's always the wrong approach
    Putin khuliyo

And about fringe. Why do we listen to college based feminism then? (AAAAAY)
    Because people who want to be victims will always find a way to make themselves victims.

And I don't know, why DO people pay so much attention to it? 99% of their power is people shrieking in outrage because college people did things they don't agree with.

10+ Year Old Account

And about fringe. Why do we listen to college based feminism then?
    Because most collegiate feminists are not fringe extremists.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    (Disclaimer, this may apply more to the U.S as I am a U.S citizen and my perspective on this is U.S)

Compromise:

Why is this word a bad word in politics? To me its because they use the other definition

But compromise is what we should want out of our politicians. They should be willing to discuss, but i don't blame our politicians. I blame the voters. I believe we are too obsessed over the idea of compromising ourselves, that we are unable to reach compromise.
    Compromise only has value insofar as the mutually conceded objectives are both desirable outcomes in and of themselves. So, no, political compromise is not always a good thing, and is indeed a pointless and myopic exercise if two antithetical political theories are in competition.

Because people who want to be victims will always find a way to make themselves victims.

And I don't know, why DO people pay so much attention to it? 99% of their power is people shrieking in outrage because college people did things they don't agree with.
    You just answered your own question. It's the shrieking. That's how college rape laws and safe spaces have gotten where they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    You just answered your own question. It's the shrieking. That's how college rape laws and safe spaces have gotten where they are.
    A non issue that people keep bitching about? I agree.