Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Changing GTX 960 to GTX 970 will cost additional 120$
    Changing to i7-6700k more than doubles the price - additional 230$
    Z170 Motherboard - 70$ more.
    So it's more than 400$ to add to already more than 1000$.
    I'm really starting to wonder how I'm playing now on Ultra with 60 fps in raids and streaming.
    I mean, without sarcasm, really, I have to put 1500$ to have (maybe) the same thing that I already have on my old toaster?
    Is it right that if I'll move from my old comp to the new i5-6500 with GTX 960, I wouldn't be able to play on Ultra anymore and my fps will decrease? Because right now it feels like this

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you don't need Z170 motherboard since you won't OC. This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

The i7 is expensive as shit and only justifiable because you do streaming hence the HT is useful and because it goes at 4ghz stock.

And the 960 -> 970 was just to be absolutely sure, the 960 should be fine. Specially if you turn off useless things at the settings, if you do so even a 950 is fine.

You won't really gain anything significant by going from a i5 2500 to a i5 6500, the only upgrade path here is going with a i7 for the HT or a Xeon.

And if you choose to go with a Xeon, you can re-use your current RAM. Just buy a new mobo, a 960/970 and a new PSU if you're not sure if yours will be safe for 3 more years and you're good to go.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-01-31 at 05:36 PM.

After more reading up about different hardware, I came up with this build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake Box 3.2GHz 6MB FCLGA1151 (990 nis)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE (684 nis)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR4 2400MHz דגם HX424C15FB/8 (290 nis)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM (265 nis)
    Video Card: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce Gaming GTX970 4GB GDDR5 (1795 nis)
    or Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX960 WINDFORCE 2X Gaming 4GB GDDR5 (1250 nis)
    Case: Corsair 330R Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case (520 nis)
    Power Supply: Seasonic G-550 550W Active PFC, 80+ Gold (435 nis)

Games needed: WoW only on Ultra. I may or may not play some other MMOs like Wildstar or GW2, but nothing like modern simulators or action games.
    Streaming is optional - if it will go with the current config - fine, if not - I don't care.
    Live time for the system: 3 years
    Reusing parts in a new PC after 3 years: no
    Overclocking: no

The only thing I can't decide, whether I need GTX970 or GTX960 will work fine on Ultra during next 3 years. The price difference between them is serious enough.

Is this build okay or something is missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandacho View Post
    Changing GTX 960 to GTX 970 will cost additional 120$
    Changing to i7-6700k more than doubles the price - additional 230$
    Z170 Motherboard - 70$ more.
    So it's more than 400$ to add to already more than 1000$.
    I'm really starting to wonder how I'm playing now on Ultra with 60 fps in raids and streaming.
    I mean, without sarcasm, really, I have to put 1500$ to have (maybe) the same thing that I already have on my old toaster?
    Is it right that if I'll move from my old comp to the new i5-6500 with GTX 960, I wouldn't be able to play on Ultra anymore and my fps will decrease? Because right now it feels like this
    Well, the reason you are able to get Ultra already is that your CPU does not need an upgrade. What you are proposing to upgrade to will not be that big of a an increase over what you have already. If you are not going to go for at least a 6500K and overclock or an i7 for the higher stock clock, there is really no reason for you to upgrade anything other than your GPU. This is the reason all the suggested upgrades seem so pricey, that's what it is going to take to actually be a noticeable upgrade over what you have.

You keep calling the 2500 an old toaster, but it is still one of the best CPUs on the market. If I had one, I would not be looking to upgrade, I'd simply look at OCing it.

- - - Updated - - -

After more reading up about different hardware, I came up with this build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake Box 3.2GHz 6MB FCLGA1151 (990 nis)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE (684 nis)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR4 2400MHz דגם HX424C15FB/8 (290 nis)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM (265 nis)
    Video Card: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce Gaming GTX970 4GB GDDR5 (1795 nis)
    or Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX960 WINDFORCE 2X Gaming 4GB GDDR5 (1250 nis)
    Case: Corsair 330R Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case (520 nis)
    Power Supply: Seasonic G-550 550W Active PFC, 80+ Gold (435 nis)

Games needed: WoW only on Ultra. I may or may not play some other MMOs like Wildstar or GW2, but nothing like modern simulators or action games.
    Streaming is optional - if it will go with the current config - fine, if not - I don't care.
    Live time for the system: 3 years
    Reusing parts in a new PC after 3 years: no
    Overclocking: no

The only thing I can't decide, whether I need GTX970 or GTX960 will work fine on Ultra during next 3 years. The price difference between them is serious enough.

Is this build okay or something is missing?
    As stated, the 6500 will not be any noticeable upgrade over your 2500. Maybe a 10% increase in performance? You could get better gains in performance OCing what you already have. That is really, the only way you will see any performance increase over your 2500. OC it, get a newer CPU that is capable of OCing and OC it, or got with an i7-K Series for the higher stock clocks. Yes, increasing clock speed is the only way you will get better performance in WoW than what you already have. You will basically be throwing money away on everything except the GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($297.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $710.45
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-02 11:27 EST-0500

Keep everything else, PSU and CPU coolers are optional.

Maybe I wasn't clear when started the thread: I'm not upgrading because of lack of performance but I just need a new PC because my motherboard and GPU are physically almost dead. I just can't keep them no matter how good they are in theoretical performance and I can't keep the old PC.
    Last edited by Moredo; 2016-02-02 at 05:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I wasn't clear when started the thread: I'm not upgrading because of lack of performance but I just need a new PC because my motherboard and GPU are physically almost dead. I just can't keep them no matter how good they are in theoretical performance and I can't keep the old PC.
    That's why I'm telling you to buy a new mobo and a new GPU. And while you're at it a new CPU too.

There's no reason to buy a I5 6500 if you don't get any performance increase for what you do, at least with the Xeon you get HT and can keep the current RAM.

Deleted
    Tbh the setup you got at OP is pretty much fine. If you want to save or maybe just get better for your money you'd have to give us link(s) from the webshop(s) you are buying from, Israel right? I'd would get a little better case depending on prices and whats available.

what is it that makes you think they are almost dead? Those parts should last closer to 10 years, not only 3-4. By last I mean still physically running, obviously not going to be able to play the latest stuff 10 years later, but it should still be working just fine. Most parts have a 3 year manufacturer warranty, so if they really are dead/dieing, you might be able to get replacement parts for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    what is it that makes you think they are almost dead? Those parts should last closer to 10 years, not only 3-4. By last I mean still physically running, obviously not going to be able to play the latest stuff 10 years later, but it should still be working just fine. Most parts have a 3 year manufacturer warranty, so if they really are dead/dieing, you might be able to get replacement parts for free.
    Maybe something related to the sandstorms but I honestly doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Tbh the setup you got at OP is pretty much fine. If you want to save or maybe just get better for your money you'd have to give us link(s) from the webshop(s) you are buying from, Israel right? I'd would get a little better case depending on prices and whats available.
    I'm having doubts regarding 6600K CPU and Z170M MoBo in the OP setup - do I really need them? They are very expensive.

This is the list I'm using: en (dot) ksp (dot) co (dot) il / ? uin = 16014 & store = KSP03 (can't post links yet). We have only 2 big comp dealers, prices are pretty much equal but the second one doesn't use English at his site.

I chose this case because I want something silent and it was between R100 (many people wrote that it has problematic inside space) and R500 that is quite expensive. We don't have Fractal Design in Israel.

And guys, it's really doesn't matter why do I want a new PC - because of sandstorms, because I'm dumb, because my cat peed into the old one or because I'm going to throw it out of the window - I asked for the help with a new PC that I would be able to use for WoW on Ultra during next 3 years without overclocking, or changing anything, or reusing old parts so, please, "use old everything except for MoBo and GPu" or "just OC your current CPU" isn't helpful. My comp is 4 years old so 3 years warranty wouldn't work either.
    Last edited by Moredo; 2016-02-03 at 06:26 AM. Reason: typos

If buying a new monitor becomes relevant..personally i would recommend a IPS flicker free quality 1560 x 1440 screen. fantastic for wow. I don`t state its the best, because I haven`t tried all possible combos and I'm not an expert. but of all the setups ive had...my 27` 1560 x 1440 are by far superior. great for all other purposes as well, except maybe fps games
    Last edited by wooters; 2016-02-03 at 06:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're not going to OC the 6600K then no, you don't need it. And you also don't need the Z170 mobo.

This is a complete waste of koney. And the cheaper 6500 isn't that much better at this aspect because your CPU already performs the same or 95% the same.

You haven't answered us on why you got to the conclusion that your hardware is dying, but if it really is, I'd still say to just buy CPU+mobo+graphics card and reuse everything else.

And guys, it's really doesn't matter why do I want a new PC - because of sandstorms, because I'm dumb, because my cat peed into the old one or because I'm going to throw it out of the window - I asked for the help with a new PC that I would be able to use for WoW on Ultra during next 3 years without overclocking, or changing anything, or reusing old parts so, please, "use old everything except for MoBo and GPu" or "just OC your current CPU" isn't helpful. My comp is 4 years old so 3 years warranty wouldn't work either.
    So, when you're told what it will take, quit arguing. Quit being ungrateful, and quit complaining about the price and trying to cut corners.

You've already been told what kind of rig it will take if you new-build.