Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen, there are a couple of things that are linked to higher IQ's. One of them is knowing multiple languages, and the other is being able to play a musical instrument. I know that a lot of (pre-college) schools out there are already requiring a second language in order to advance, and maybe learning a musical instrument should be another thing that is required.

However, it's easy for me to say this because I graduated High School a while ago. When I WAS in High School you had to take a second language (mine was Spanish). Personally, I'm terrible at learning second languages. I've tried on multiple occasions and have not done very well. I was only able to pass Spanish because my teacher was not very good and mostly passed everyone.

Still, in Grade School every student at the school I went to was required to learn how to play the recorder. I was okay at it, but if I picked one up today (almost 20 years later) I would barely know which end to blow (insert joke here). I can imagine that there are many students out there that simply wouldn't be able to do well in music classes... and for them I don't know what the alternative would be.

The only alternative I can think of is that a music class for Grade School and High School could be a pass/fail class that wouldn't impact the students GPA, and if a student simply is not able to do well in a music class then perhaps there can be another class they can take instead. This could create several other problems, but it might be something to consider.

TL;DR - I think it's an interesting idea that could potentially lead to smarter students, but not all students will excel at this so maybe it shouldn't be required. Still, leaning yes on it being a requirement.
    Trying not to screw things up too badly since 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    At my school nobody skipped band.
    Well, I'm honestly glad that you enjoy it and I hope that it continues to bring you happiness. I can see and understand how it brings people joy to be able to express themselves in creative ways like playing music.

Perhaps my experience with band class has something to do with the small population of the town that I lived in (26,000) and 800 in the high school.

Quote Originally Posted by techgeek View Post
    Well, I'm honestly glad that you enjoy it and I hope that it continues to bring you happiness. I can see and understand how it brings people joy to be able to express themselves in creative ways like playing music.

Perhaps my experience with band class has something to do with the small population of the town that I lived in (26,000) and 800 in the high school.
    Possibly, but there were 60 people in my graduating class. was same for most of the classes below us too. I think there was at most 75 of us in the band all the years I was in highschool. Some people just don't get into the music which is fine. I just think it would be good for kids to at least try something. I see people all the time as adults saying they wish they had picked up an instrument when they were kids. There's people here in this thread saying it. I don't want kids forced to. I just wish more kids would take an interest in it.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

In my opinion, yes. I feel music is a great tool in learning math, creativity and language.

Most boys when they reach puberty will have an instrument they'll be playing and practicing on every night, and when they're a bit older, will want the females to give their pink oboe a blow or two!!