10+ Year Old Account

Making a Battery charger of a atx psu?

Hi! i have a nice stereo setup laying around for my car, and was wondering if my old Corsair Tx750w psu would be usefull combined with a battery?
    It states it gives aprox 62a +12dc wich is plenty, i also do have a regular charger but it only gives me aprox 7 amps and does not like sound aplications.

Would be cool to make a nice system for indoor use at my next Bday pary in a couple of weeks.

Components is a Alpine headunit, JBL 6x9 and if i have enough juice i add the JBL sub & Crunch Amplifier, (1600wrms).

So lets make this a fun little project, what you think?^^
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you could use it to power the stereo but I wouldn't try and use it with the battery and the psu at the same time.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2016-01-31 at 09:37 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This worries me greatly, since that's not at all what that PSU was originally intended for... I'm sure if you have the know-how, you could make it work, but I do believe it's risky.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like this is one of the things that if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be doing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this to power the stereo? Uh, that's a bit much just for music. I see a lot of stuff you should put on Ebay if it's just laying around.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who dabbles in soldering electronics and hardware and used stuff, it's my opinion that if you don't know what your'e doing with that kind of stuff, it's best not to try, and use the hardware for what it's intended for. I wouldn't try rigging something like that, really.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    I am used to electrical stuff, mostly 3phase mains though, experience up to 400v 800a so i think i can handle 12v dc as i am used to it aswell from car / machinery electricals.

I have noticed that alot of ppl makes bench psu of old atx psu's and that seem to work fine.
    I have researched more since my last post an i have come to think that i can run my stereo setup with the psu but i should not use a battery since 12v will not be enough to charge it, to do so the output should be modifyed to 13.6 - 14.2v aprox.
    The thing i am thinking about right now is if the psu will handle the load dynamics of stereo usage since it is a non constant load with alot of ups and downs, and i do not know how that compares to powering for example a Gpu.
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

Honestly it seems useless for that application, and would probably not hold up well. If you have a battery and a battery charger already, just get a capacitor for the sub and hook everything else up directly to the battery. The battery should keep it's charge as it doesn't really take that much juice to run a car stereo, I leave mine (with subs) running for hours and battery is still plenty strong to start my vehicle afterwards

10+ Year Old Account
    I've put a few stereos in my cars but I think the PSU can handle it. Maybe a problem at max load but otherwise just fine. I just think there's gotta be a better way of doing this.