Thread: Feminism

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I would like it if people let women speak for women and be feminists, just like I'd like for other groups to speak for those groups, such as certain minorities. Nothing more disingenuous than these young, white, heterosexual men taking up other people's causes.
    Well, when feminists try to influence policy that gives them an advantage simply for being a woman, it affects us horrible white hetero men.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart Maiden View Post
    Superman isn't even human, is he? >.>
    Nope.

But he is a man.

Little boys thinking they need to be faster than a speeding bullet, have laser vision, be able to fly, and so on and so forth.

Barbie imposes real ideals about real women. It is even marketed in a how real it is. It is a doll franchise that has a marketing basis on being as close to reality.
    Barbie "imposes" real ideals about real women just as much as G.I. Joe "imposes" real ideals about real men.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That's why it's called feminism, because they focus on the unfair standards for females.
    I don't get upset because the NAACP isn't paying attention to the issues I have as a white European male; that's because it's an organisation for black people in the US.
    Nor do I get upset that WWF doesn't pay attention to any of these human problems.
    If you feel that He-Man sets unfair standards for men you are always free to start a movement, we have the freedom for that!

I also disagree with the idea that it sets a standard.
    We, as a society, usually make fun of men with too much muscle.
    Yet thin women with long blond hair are seen as beautiful.
    Except, feminists say that their ideology is for the equality of both sexes. It is of course not that in practice but that is their dictionary definition defense.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    By making a comparison to the large, lasting and ongoing influence of the Barbie iconography, one is.

Choose a better or more intelligent point of comparison otherwise. Barbie as a pervasive object of female identification is only relevant because of Barbie's popularity and ubiquity.

If the iconography in question has little or lesser representation in culture than the influence of the iconography as an object of social modeling is invalid. It's paradoxical to some degree.
    1.) Assuming Barbie has a long lasting influence.

2.) Assuming that Human does not have a long lasting influence.

3.) Ignoring very similar current iconic figures that do have more representation as an influence in culture and as an object of social modeling. Back then it was Heman today it is Batman, Superman, or Captain America. Take your pick of which is more achievable.

- - - Updated - - -

You see, that's the thing. They pretend, fantasy, make up, play with imagination. They know that it isn't real because it's imposed as fantasy in the first place.

Barbie imposes real ideals about real women. It is even marketed in a how real it is. It is a doll franchise that has a marketing basis on being as close to reality.
    Damn, at least Barbie imposes real ideals of what beauty is. I am supposed to become a super strong space alien, shaped exactly like a man, learn fly, and shoot lasers out of my eyes.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    The only way this makes sense is if you presume girls are idiots who internalize playthings as 'reality' -
    Well, it's marketed and advertised as such, and unless someone tells and convinces them otherwise, who's to say what a little girl is to internalize when that's essentially what they're given to begin with?

You have to remember that children are more susceptible to impress when they're younger and most girls that are given Barbies, that is essentially all that they understand until they start going to school, which other girls who also have Barbies pre-internalized to believe. This creates an echo chamber for the notion even more among young girls.

If you're assuming that toddlers have a similar logical aptitude of an adult, then you must have little understanding on the issue.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    The only way this makes sense is if you presume girls are idiots who internalize playthings as 'reality' -
    ^Ouch I felt that last line.

Well, it's marketed and advertised as such, and unless someone tells and convinces them otherwise, who's to say what a little girl is to internalize when that's essentially what they're given to begin with?
    Their parents?

You have to remember that children are more susceptible to impress when they're younger and most girls that are given Barbies, that is essentially all that they understand until they start going to school, which other girls who also have Barbies pre-internalized to believe. This creates an echo chamber for the notion even more among young girls.

If you're assuming that toddlers have a similar logical aptitude of an adult, then you must have little understanding on the issue.
    So boys can tell toys are toys but all girls believe they have to achieve the body of their plastic dolls? The 'girls are dumb' is a new defense. Interesting.

7+ Year Old Account

And there is not similar echo chamber for young boys?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Barbie "imposes" real ideals about real women just as much as G.I. Joe "imposes" real ideals about real men.
    Yet, the military is a common thing between men that have been in it, is it not?
    Does this mean that G.I. Joe indoctrinated young boys to become soldiers?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Their parents?
    You mean the same parents that likely gave them the dolls to begin with?
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Yet, the military is a common thing between men that have been in it, is it not?
    This doesn't make sense.

We need a database to count how many feminism threads MMO C has.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Well, we should stop expecting them to be able to freeze lakes by breathing on them for starters.
    Yeah, I am afraid that one isn't doable, are there any other suggestions on your list, because I refuse to live in a world where a guy won't freeze a lake by breathing, what else are kids going to do if they want to play pond hockey?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    And there is not similar echo chamber for young boys?
    If that would be the case, what would be the echo chamber?
    ~~ ~~

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that is exactly what it means. Tons of young men go off to fight wars and die questing after the hyper masculinity that is pressed on them by society.

You mean the same parents that likely gave them the dolls to begin with?
    You asked who's going to explain girls that their toys don't represent reality. Is 'stop buying toys' a better solution?

This is subtly Implying females are too stupid by nature to treat a toy like a toy while males notice it immediately. I really don't think that's what you are going for.

Why does a boy know G.I. Joes are just playthings but a girl sees a Barbie and immediately views it as something to be? What about Ken dolls?

7+ Year Old Account
    If that would be the case, what would be the echo chamber?
    So you only believe that there are hyper feminine echo chambers among young girl, but not hyper masculine echo chambers among young boys? You do realize that if you are saying that this phenomena exists for young girls but not young boys, then you are admitting that boys can tell the difference between fantasy and reality better than girls. Hence you would be proposing and embracing the "girls are more stupid" argument.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2016-01-31 at 08:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet, nearly every comic and TV episode states that he's from another world. If you were a fan of Superman, you'd know how much they redundantly repeated his backstory just to make sure that you know.
    Really? You are going to pull the argument that he is an alien...

well what about the entirety of the starfire fiasco of recent years, from Red Hood and the Outlaws? By your standards, you are saying the feminists should fuck off from her, because shes an Alien. Double standards are double standards.

As to Humans.. Unadulterated humans...Captain America... Wolverine... Batman... Spawn (prior to him dying and then even after death).

What sells? Sex and Violence. I love those damn hard abs and body of Batman. His rugged good looks, and his billions of dollars. Now, where is a man just like him? Oh... right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasuem View Post
    So boys can tell toys are toys but all girls believe they have to achieve the body of their plastic dolls? The 'girls are dumb' is a new defense. Interesting.
    No.

One (the plethora of superheroes that are being stated) is marketed, advertised, and stated clearly as fantasy, redundantly so.
    The other is marketed as mimicking real life, advertised that way, and it imposes that notion because it is not presented otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    This is subtly Implying females are too stupid by nature to treat a toy like a toy while males notice it immediately. I really don't think that's what you are going for.

Why does a boy know G.I. Joes are just playthings but a girl sees a Barbie and immediately views it as something to be? What about Ken dolls?
    Do boys play with Ken dolls, or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    So you only believe that there are hyper feminine echo chambers among young girl, but not hyper masculine echo chambers among young boys?
    You're disregarding the fantasy placed behind such characters, though. Blatantly ignoring the fact that they aren't imposed as reality.
    ~~ ~~