Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Thought experiment time:

Basic Income exists, you can get food, toiletries, and a limited amount of new clothes each year. Would you choose to not to work, and just live off cheap food / toiletries / lowest rent / limited clothing?

Or would you choose to work, to gain a higher income, to have iPhones and cars and vacations and video games and stuff - in your life?
    Well I would still probably work, as many people would, because we are greedy. We want to have more than others... it's not enough that we have enough, we have to have more than others have to feel good about ourselves... Although that's not why I would work, I just wanna afford a new PC every 3-4 years and the games I wanna play... basically why I work now....

10+ Year Old Account
    How else can Mc Duck sci on his money?

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Even if he isn't there would still come a time when machines have taken most jobs. At that point no one will have money to buy, and no one will have people to sell to.
    This over and over again, I work with people who have no concept of what we would do if menial work is done away with. In reality when I tell people, what would you do if you didn't have to work they usually freeze as they are incapable of imagining that scenario.

The part I find most amusing is that in a hypothetical world where machines replaced all the jobs they could, the jobs currently considered "not real" by much of society like amateur game making, running YouTube series and all that kind of Internet-based content generation would become more popular and pretty much the new 'normal' type of work.

Deleted
    There is no such thing as wealth distribution in a globalized world market.

Only if every country were to participate, which will never happen, could you even start to think about something like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    Thought experiment time:

Basic Income exists, you can get food, toiletries, and a limited amount of new clothes each year. Would you choose to not to work, and just live off cheap food / toiletries / lowest rent / limited clothing?

Or would you choose to work, to gain a higher income, to have iPhones and cars and vacations and video games and stuff - in your life?
    I suppose it all depends on the person really. I've lived the government-assistance life. IT FUCKING SUCKS. Even when I was working 40 hours a week in my new job and living in a hotel after moving to a new town for work, it still FUCKING SUCKS. But while I was on government assistance, applying for jobs that would actually support me, that would actually get me somewhere and often finding nothing more than minimum-wage "burger flipper" jobs after having done the retail-gig for years? There was a point where I seriously said "fuck this" and wanted to just quit it all together.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Steven Hawking is an idiot ..he has never contributed to science thus why he has never received a Nobel prize. People feel sorry for him because he was a promising physicists then he went full retard ....the end .

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Steven Hawking is an idiot ..he has never contributed to science thus why he has never received a Nobel prize. People feel sorry for him because he was a promising physicists then he went full retard ....the end .
    Hawking Radiation. The man's works here with black holes are simply too far ahead for our current technologies to test upon, the LHC is the best way we have to test anything about a black hole and it's a really, really shitty way and until you can his works will probably never win a Nobel prize.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Work of course.
    You realise right wing suckers like you are the only way this welfare state can work?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    There is no such thing as wealth distribution in a globalized world market.

Only if every country were to participate, which will never happen, could you even start to think about something like this.
    Rigid trade protectionism would no doubt accompany it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stephen Hawking is an idiot.

Deleted
    Why is it news every time this guy open his robotic mouth?

Deleted
    An excellent physicist. I LOVE his thoughts on the matter he understands. BUT: WHY is HIS OWN, PERSONAL opinion worth spreading? The answer: it is NOT worth spreading.
    He knows next to nothing about the issue.

Angela Merkel and Barack Obama are great politicians. But they know next to nothing about science, and if they had THEIR OWN, PERSONAL opinions that E=mc² is a false equation, and that the correct one is E=abcd, they would be OBVIOUSLY wrong, and their opinion worthless.

Deleted
    I think the people who believe everyone would be happy and just stop working if they had their basic needs cared for is underestimating the unfulfilled and isolated existence that individuals who go through this process experience. This isn't an argument in favour of it though, I'm against it because so many people would suffer under their own anxieties, and wouldn't realize it before it's too late to crawl out. I worry that under such a system, those people would be abandoned even more than they are already because there's the illusion of safety under a monetary net.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *removes glasses*
    *hand is shaking*

Mother of god....
    Thats some uncanny valley level shit right there.

Is he a reliable authority on government and economics? He is a major player in physics and astronomy, but I dont know if that means he is qualified in other fields.
    I imagine he is about as qualified as an actor or an athlete outside his field of study.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviorasi View Post
    I imagine he is about as qualified as an actor or an athlete outside his field of study.
    So to the main stream media an expert then?

Deleted
    Is he a reliable authority on government and economics? He is a major player in physics and astronomy, but I dont know if that means he is qualified in other fields.
    The majority of politicians don't have a degree in politics or economics, yet they find themselves in such positions of power.

I have a friend who was originally rather high up in non-elected government, now a major lobbyist. He has a degree in electrical engineering.

Hawking is just as entitled to his opinion as anyone else, and tbh it doesn't make him any more or less qualified than any elected official, as stated above.
    Last edited by mmoc18c6ab442b; 2016-02-01 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You realise right wing suckers like you are the only way this welfare state can work?

- - - Updated - - -

Rigid trade protectionism would no doubt accompany it.
    I'd work right until i,reached a tax bracket that was above 50%, then I'd say Fuck it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'd work right until i,reached a tax bracket that was above 50%, then I'd say Fuck it.
    not exactly how taxes work.

not exactly how taxes work.
    How is it not?

Income taxes are raised incrementally depending upon your income. To support something like a basic income would require even more raising of taxes.

There are plenty of people out there who have the ability to plan vacations around PTO and unpaid time off.

Why would anyone voluntarily work when more than 50% of their income is taxed?