Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    I just wonder what the policy on wearing uniform offduty is.

Also, are there any laws that actually enforce "gun free" zones? Or is it kinda like the honor policy. "hey guys, we don't like guns here so don't bring any but we aren't gonna check or prevent you."
    There are laws, but not real proactive measures if that's what you're asking. I don't know, but it's possible the laws are undergoing constitutional challenges too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I am somewhat confused, why was he in uniform attending class?
    I had some classes with police officers. they were on call sometimes at class and he would have his radio really low and i think he only got called out 2 or 3 times.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Source

I mean come on, this isn't some guy with a CC permit, this is a trained officer. Wouldn't you feel safer with an officer than without one?
    I think that teacher should be left to dry if a real incident were to happen. Afterall, those evil guns are soooo horrible and leave them so uncomfortable, wouldn't want to risk discomfort when an officer were to come to the teachers aid somehow

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    There are laws, but not real proactive measures if that's what you're asking. I don't know, but it's possible the laws are undergoing constitutional challenges too.
    Gotcha. well if theres laws against it and they caught him with a gun, hes guilty. Im all about carrying but if you legally cant do it there, you shouldn't. I just need more info one why he was in uniform.

About the uniform, depends on the place, some officers can wear it off duty, some can't. Seeing how he didn't get into trouble, or that it wasn't reported I assume he can. Police here can even use their cars off duty, having police presence, even off duty deters crime.

As for him wearing it, he probably just got off work, seriously have any of you even worked and gone to school? There have many many times I went to school wearing what I wore to work because I didn't have time to change.

10+ Year Old Account
    About the uniform, depends on the place, some officers can wear it off duty, some can't. Seeing how he didn't get into trouble, or that it wasn't reported I assume he can. Police here can even use their cars off duty, having police presence, even off duty deters crime.

As for him wearing it, he probably just got off work, seriously have any of you even worked and gone to school? There have many many times I went to school wearing what I wore to work because I didn't have time to change.
    In a lot of uniformed positions, you aren't supposed to wear that uniform unless you're actively on duty. When you wear it, you publicly represent the organization, whether you're on the clock or not, and they wouldn't want imagery, say, of a police officer, in uniform, getting drunk at a bar. He may be off duty, but that's not what it looks like to anyone around him.

They definitely wouldn't want the bad image that their officers are seeking higher education.

Deleted

I can understand the notion of wearing the uniform of your workplace because of not being able to change on the way there. But surely the gun could somehow been stowed away to give the peace of mind to others.

Because of the amount of school shootings there have been, I can to some extend understand the teacher being uneasy with a student (be it that said student was a police officer) bringing a gun to class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    yeah, woulda been totally comfortable flunking that guy. Hey lets have another person dress up as an authority figure, and see if that distracts the class.
    More is better right?
    He was an actual cop though. Not a dude in costume.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Gotcha. well if theres laws against it and they caught him with a gun, hes guilty. Im all about carrying but if you legally cant do it there, you shouldn't. I just need more info one why he was in uniform.
    I may be misunderstanding you, or you may be misunderstanding me. He's probably not guilty of anything if he was in uniform. Exemption+technicalities would probably save him enough to make it murky enough that there won't be even the appearance of an attempt at prosecution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I actually have more issue with the uniform than that he was carrying, but if he wasn't on duty, then he doesn't have any justification for trying to get around the school's policies on gun carrying.
    http://www.darton.edu/fac_staff/pol_...of_conduct.php

"Weapons - Students are prohibited from the use of firearms in or on college property except by law enforcement officers, judges, and district attorneys. The possession or use of any other offensive weapons is prohibited"

This is Georgia after all.

In a lot of uniformed positions, you aren't supposed to wear that uniform unless you're actively on duty. When you wear it, you publicly represent the organization, whether you're on the clock or not, and they wouldn't want imagery, say, of a police officer, in uniform, getting drunk at a bar. He may be off duty, but that's not what it looks like to anyone around him.
    like I said, some towns let you, its a deterrence thing

what a terrible strawman. Wonder if there has been more people die of heart attacks at college or shootings. hmmmm
    I can almost guarantee without looking it up that more people die on campus from heart attacks. Shootings are lightning strike level rarities. Coronary disease is a leading cause of death.

I was an EMS worker on my campus and was explicitly forbidden to wear my EMS uniform unless I was on duty. I can't imagine that police forces have more lax rules about uniforms off duty than an all-volunteer student-run EMS group.

- - - Updated - - -

like I said, some towns let you, its a deterrence thing
    Again, I am not even allowed to wear my EMS hoodie if I'm off duty. I'll believe your assertion about off-duty police if you supply some sources, but it seems unlikely to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    These laws always exclude law enforcement. You're not going to find one example in the states that bar law enforcement. And most states allow off duty police to carry as well, this being Georgia that is most certainly the case. Chalk this up to another example of someone never leaving the bubble of academia.
    Nah I get you. I think the gray area is whether off duty law enforcement counts as law enforcement. I think it does, was just saying im not sure what the law says.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    I am somewhat confused, why was he in uniform attending class?
    came straight from work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    Again, I am not even allowed to wear my EMS hoodie if I'm off duty. I'll believe your assertion about off-duty police if you supply some sources, but it seems unlikely to me.
    If a judge or DA can walk onto this campus with a gun then I'm willing to bet an off duty officer can as well.

Sometimes people work and go to school. Sometimes people have jobs that have multiple shifts. Sometimes you don't have enough time between the two to change. The majority of people aren't paranoid morons and actually prefer having an officer in uniform around.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    If a judge or DA can walk onto this campus with a gun then I'm willing to bet an off duty officer can as well.
    My comment was about uniforms, not guns. Almost no one is allowed to bring a gun into a university building unless they are on duty police. Way to pick the weaker argument here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Sometimes people work and go to school. Sometimes people have jobs that have multiple shifts. Sometimes you don't have enough time between the two to change. The majority of people aren't paranoid morons and actually prefer having an officer in uniform around.
    Sometimes your job involves a specific set of clothing that your employer doesn't want you wearing unless you are on the clock. (Police, EMS, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    I can almost guarantee without looking it up that more people die on campus from heart attacks. Shootings are lightning strike level rarities. Coronary disease is a leading cause of death.
    But when they do strike its usually more than one victim