Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I think it's very clear the UK benefits more financially than it contributes from been part of the EU and any attempt to leave would be disastrous for the UK economy, this idea that we can be one foot out and still have a seat the table is ludicrous and frankly we should be trying to take a leadership role rather than sitting in a corner having a paddy because we did not get everything our own way... hello this democracy in action.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Isotopes View Post
    I think it's very clear the UK benefits more financially than it contributes from been part of the EU.
    Giving you £20 and you giving me £5 while dictating what i can and can't do doesn't seem that beneficial to me. Especially when ideas like slamming the brakes on Refugees gaining immediate benefits (A system way too easily played as it is, even by scumbag natives who want to be 18 with kids and no job permanently) have to be agreed with by a minimum of 14 other countries before it can be done.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Szekely View Post
    Giving you £20 and you giving me £5 while dictating what i can and can't do doesn't seem that beneficial to me. Especially when ideas like slamming the brakes on Refugees gaining immediate benefits (A system way too easily played as it is, even by scumbag natives who want to be 18 with kids and no job permanently) have to be agreed with by a minimum of 14 other countries before it can be done.
    It's a net benefit. We get advantages we might otherwise not have that are not included in the budget figures. Don't see how refugees factor into any of this.....

I'm nearly 30, living in London, married no kids both in full time work since we where 16, earning over the average wage between us and we still can't afford our own house. Meanwhile people not of this country come over and snap up the houses and rent them out at stupid rates. Its sooo very hard not to be bitter about it. Septate issue I know but its sort of related.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    I'm nearly 30, living in London, married no kids both in full time work since we where 16, earning over the average wage between us and we still can't afford our own house. Meanwhile people not of this country come over and snap up the houses and rent them out at stupid rates. Its sooo very hard not to be bitter about it. Septate issue I know but its sort of related.
    It has F all to do with Europe though. You will see the same in any city with a sizeable immigrant/ex-pat workforce. The only places it gets a bit fairer are where they lean more towards social housing rather than purchasing as the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    It has F all to do with Europe though. You will see the same in any city with a sizeable immigrant/ex-pat workforce. The only places it gets a bit fairer are where they lean more towards social housing rather than purchasing as the norm.
    It must have a little bearing though right? We are building more social housing (housing provided for people on low incomes, council houses etc) then actual affordable houses as a result of the current immigration. (I think at least)

Deleted
    Leave London.

I'm 27, single, working since 16, just over the average wage for my area and I afforded a mortgage easily in Yorkshire.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's very clear the UK benefits more financially than it contributes from been part of the EU and any attempt to leave would be disastrous for the UK economy, this idea that we can be one foot out and still have a seat the table is ludicrous and frankly we should be trying to take a leadership role rather than sitting in a corner having a paddy because we did not get everything our own way... hello this democracy in action.
    They said that Britain staying out of the Euro would be disastrous for business and the City of London would lose its position as a top financial hub.

I think the UK would be absolutely dandy outside of the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Leave London.

I'm 27, single, working since 16, just over the average wage for my area and I afforded a mortgage easily in Yorkshire.
    That is something we are looking into, as it stands we aren't going anywhere. I just hope there's enough work for us both in the outer areas. Doesn't help that I was born in one of the most expensive borough in the country (Surrey).

Deleted
    That is something we are looking into, as it stands we aren't going anywhere. I just hope there's enough work for us both in the outer areas. Doesn't help that I was born in one of the most expensive borough in the country (Surrey).
    I know that in my area, and in most of the North East, financial skills are in high demand, cos everyone heads down to London (where the money is). So thats what i'm trying to get into atm. Just gotta work out what skills are needed where and you'll find a job easy.

Deleted
    It must have a little bearing though right? We are building more social housing then actual affordable houses as a result of the current immigration. (I think at least)
    It isn't really affected by EU membership as we have people coming here from outside anyway. The reason they can often charge so much is often people might work on secondment or get resettlement packages, so in essence the rent is covered or subsidised by the employers, if permanent they will rent until they buy and the well paid will do this even if they only intend staying 5 years or so in a high demand city. And then they rent out, so adding to the problem. I've paid some unbelievably exorbitant rents when working in other countries before.

(The social housing was one of the things Cameron asked for, I think, it was 4 years until you can go on a list. How that would work out if the other countries reciprocated I don't know. As it is very common not to buy in some places and social housing is very good. I have British friends in NL. It took them ages to get through the waiting list but they eventually got a really nice place in Amsterdam. When they did it cut their rent costs by about 75% which they had been paying for 5 years. If they brought in a similar rule then they would have been out of pocket by 800EU a month for another 4 years.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    EEA workers in the UK should pay no tax then(or only for their original country) if the UK wants to limit benefits.
    I`d agree, but isn`t it National Insurance that (is supposed to..) cover NHS, welfare etc?
    "Normal" tax is for everything else.

Having said that, neither Cameron or his parents are good at paying their taxes. That goes for all his banking/business cronies too

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    They said that Britain staying out of the Euro would be disastrous for business and the City of London would lose its position as a top financial hub.

I think the UK would be absolutely dandy outside of the EU.
    I'd rather take scientists and people working in this sector words over yours, thank you.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's very clear the UK benefits more financially than it contributes from been part of the EU
    Giving £17bn, receiving £6bn back and being forced to accept rules that damage the country economically is not a benefit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Giving £17bn, receiving £6bn back and being forced to accept rules that damage the country economically is not a benefit.
    tariffs, quotas and just generally the ballache latency of operating outside of a common market aside, it has probably been a lot cheaper than having to spend 5 years at a time every 20 years to sit a country or two on the naughty step.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a net benefit. We get advantages we might otherwise not have that are not included in the budget figures.
    Yeah

We get to pay £40 million a day to be in the EUSSR. We got told to let uneducated migrants come and take jobs of British citizens. We got told to let other countries fish freely in our waters. We got told to help bail out Greece. We got told not to tax imports from the EU, damaging our own businesses. We got told to adopt excessive regulation and bureaucracy. We got told in 2006 to replace our electrical wiring colours with inferior ones. We got told in 1999 to ban the use of white asbestos (which is much safer than blue/brown asbestos, no worse to work with than any other hazardous material, and no more dangerous to have in the home than electricity or gas).

Loads of advantages >.>

Deleted
    "they took our jerbs" really? And the it was the uneducated people that did it too? We'll shame on our underclass then.

/s

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...d-to-know.html

contribution / payment chart a little way down
    Ok, I won't criticise the UK contributions anymore. Let's talk about Poland instead... wtf???

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    For your average uk eurosceptic that's the very problem. The eu dictating law to the uk.
    It's dictating law to everyone, even Germany. But we're not hung up on our glorious empire and don't care who dictates our laws. It's someone up above either way. IF it's Berlin or Brussels doesn't make much of a difference.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    If the answer to a complicate issue is easy, you are most likely wrong.

Just read like...any article in finance magazines that elaborate the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    The idea of Cameron not getting the powers he wants is so deliciously ironic.
    I find it so risky. He's pretty much tying his job to this referendum. If it fails Britain isn't just out of the EU, they can instantly vote for a new PM to make it all better.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.