Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    So what are you supposed to wear, then, Tankbug?

A rolled up shirt and khakis?

Sensible answer: Suck it up and wear a tie
    Stupid answer: Don't and lose a potential promotion
    Insane answer: Get a sex change and then you don't have to wear a tie
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Work is partly social. So long as it is so, how one maneuvers socially is incredibly important.

That applies to most aspects of life, btw. Poor social awareness and maneuvering skill is often the cause of one's external dissatisfaction.

Deleted
    I sometimes get people over for business meetings from self proclaimed "young companies". You know, mostly IT/marketing related companies that are fully staffed by millennials.

I actually send them a duo from such a company (and in their late twenties) away once when they showed up in jeans with holes in them, oversized pyjama shirts and dirty All Stars sneakers.
    Told them they could come back when they dressed like a mature person.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post

That's a little too nice.

Acceptable: Sweater, t-shirt, informal shirt. No shorts, though.
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I sometimes get people over for business meetings from self proclaimed "young companies". You know, mostly IT/marketing related companies that are fully staffed by millennials.

I actually send them a duo from such a company (and in their late twenties) away once when they showed up in jeans with holes in them, oversized pyjama shirts and dirty All Stars sneakers.
    Told them they could come back when they dressed like a mature person.
    So i work in IT but we have a formal dress code in most offices, though we are phasing it out. People still have to be presentable, holes in jeans would be a no-no etc...

Curious as to why you'd send them away like that? I mean, what difference did their dress make to w/e business meeting?

As to OP: If it's a case of pay-rise for wearing a tie then it's a simple answer really. Wear a darn tie.
    Flip-side, if you only have to wear it when this 'deciding' person is in then just wear it into work, then put it in your desk and wear it when you go in/out or when they're visiting.

I have worked in jobs before where I had to wear a business suit and dress shoes. Eventually I began bending the rules a little and wearing my leather jacket instead of my suit jacket. I'm not a very dressy person, I remember coming into work once when I had a day off in my regular clothing, and everyone was astonished to see how I really dressed.. LOL

I don't think your dress should affect how you do the job, than again sometimes if it's determining a raise or a potential new position, than I would dress the part atleast to maintain the image for a little while.

So glad, my current job now I can wear what I please (graphic design ftw)

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post

To be fair, we do the same unless the brass shows up. Any given meeting with an external party has roughly the same dress code as normal work: Don't look like a slob, but dress casual. Not business casual, but casual. We've had meetings with our shoes off in tshirts and jeans. Our clients know that we're programmers and that wearing a tie in an environment where the only people you see 99% of the time are coworkers is silly. Right now, I'm wearing some olive chinos and a Blizzard "esports" shirt from blizzcon, with a hoodie on the back of my chair. I just finished having a meeting with the owner of the company, and he was wearing jeans and a wool coat.

A relaxed job environment is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    That's a little too nice.

Acceptable: Sweater, t-shirt, informal shirt. No shorts, though.
    Shorts in the summer. It'd be crazy to live where I do and wear pants in the summer.

Step 1: Wear Tie
    Step 2: Get Job
    Step 3: Burn all ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Shorts in the summer. It'd be crazy to live where I do and wear pants in the summer.
    Well, I live in Northrend
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    My job requires "business casual" attire but I kind of stopped following the guideline and they still haven't said anything to me. I went from slacks, dress shoes and a nice button up to my favorite jeans, cowboy boots, whatever decent shirt (polos) I have lying around and usually a leather or denim jacket. I work a lot better when I'm comfortable.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Well, I live in Northrend
    Psh, I live in like Silithus. But really, deserts are crazy.

Deleted
    If the unemployed from the 1920s can dress smartly, so can you.

Maybe it's because I'm young, but as a person who likes clothes, the rare opportunity to dress up with a good formal outfit, without looking like a fedora tipping sperg, sounds great to me. Sorry for those who could give a fuck less, but I thought I'd comment on how green your grass is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobadin View Post
    I think your TLDR speaks volumes and might be an indicator as to why they're not looking to move you into "management". If you can't be assed to not wear tennis shoes and put on a tie without complaining .... Why would they want to promote you?

You're the one overtly showing you'd prefer to skate by on the minimum requirements.... "It's not in the handbook!!!!1!...." seriously? If you have to be dragged into wearing more appropriate clothing at work, just how exactly do you plan on being a leader, and why should someone pay you to be one?
    This... very this...

Its just a bullshit excuse because he doesn't want you in that position.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    It's crazy to do that here in the sub-tropical part of Australia too but it doesn't stop many businesses as I see every day when walking around the city.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Dress for the job you want.

This isn't solely applicable to interviews.
    thread.

I'm fresh when I go to my finance job every day, and I can already tell the differences in which people approach me. It's way different than from my previous jobs.

It's invigorating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    thread.

I'm fresh when I go to my finance job every day, and I can already tell the differences in which people approach me. It's way different than from my previous jobs.

It's invigorating.
    Do you go fully suited, or shirt and tie?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffyman View Post
    If the unemployed from the 1920s can dress smartly, so can you.
    I'm a bit unsure about your point.
    They dressed smartly and were unemployed.
    The following didn't dress smartly - and were working:

Normally you neither want to under-dress - nor over-dress; since both can give the wrong message.