Page 1 of 62
... LastLast

I like Sanders, but my parents brought up a good question.

Now lets all assume Sanders becomes the president. Lets also assume that he is able to accomplish his goal of raising minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour.

How exactly is that fair to the people who are already making 15 dollars an hour? Those people worked hard to get to that hourly wage by going to school and climbing the ranks at their job. A teenage kid with no work experience will be making as much as those people who worked for that 15 dollars an hour. Just a good question I think that I wish someone would ask Sanders.

10+ Year Old Account
    chances are there wages would go up to.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Now lets all assume Sanders becomes the president. Lets also assume that he is able to accomplish his goal of raising minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour.

How exactly is that fair to the people who are already making 15 dollars an hour? Those people worked hard to get to that hourly wage by going to school and climbing the ranks at their job. A teenage kid with no work experience will be making as much as those people who worked for that 15 dollars an hour. Just a good question I think that I wish someone would ask Sanders.
    There wages will also go up but not by the same %. But there wages will still go up.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    I mean, just because the neighbor's garden got greener doesn't mean yours is any less so. O.e

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, your parents should probably take a good look at the inflation rate for the past few years/decades, the increasing productivity per workhour and then ask themselves, if someone really earned that 15 dollars an hour or if that is actually underpaid by quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

and then inflation on goods and services hits soon after and everyone wonders why they still cant afford stuff then demand minimum wage get raised again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I'm way past giving a shit about the consequences of fifteen dollar MW. Lets just try it out for fucks sake. This is America, lets take some fucking risks every now and then. Whats the worst that could happen?

I'm more concerned with if he'll live for 8 years if he becomes President.

Am I being agist?

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they will raise the job requirements as well with that wage.

Quote Originally Posted by deloctyte View Post
    I mean, just because the neighbor's garden got greener doesn't mean yours is any less so. O.e
    Ya but if they are making more, the price of goods will raise slightly. So compared to how well off you were before, you are slightly less well off. That's ignoring that your wages will probably go up tho.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    and then inflation on goods and services hits soon after and everyone wonders why they still cant afford stuff then demand minimum wage get raised again.
    Your maths, it´s not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

They threaten to go to an easier and less stressful job unless they get a pay raise. If a company wants to be competitive, they will have to compete to keep skilled workers.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    chances are there wages would go up to.
    If everyone gets 15+ dollars an hour, inflation is mandatory and it won't matter.

There, their, they're

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Your maths, it´s not working.
    its history, not math. you can pretend all you want that wages and inflation arent connected, doesnt make it true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    If everyone gets 15+ dollars an hour, inflation is mandatory and it won't matter.
    There ya go. That is one possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Honestly, I'm way past giving a shit about the consequences of fifteen dollar MW. Lets just try it out for fucks sake. This is America, lets take some fucking risks every now and then. Whats the worst that could happen?
    The plutocracy will crumble.

Deleted
    If minimum wage would go up that much, the gap in costs between labour and the option to automize would decrease which could speed up the rate of automation.

Plus, less people would have to do the same work. If you pay 'em for two, they will have to work for two as well I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post

The way I view it, we should be less upset about the minimum wage going up, than we are about our wages stagnating for decades. If the minimum wage increases, you have solid ground to negotiate your wages since a new base line has been set.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    It's a spiteful question and a selfish one, but still one that has to be considered. Whilst in a perfect world it wouldn't matter, people do want better rewards for harder work, which is completely reasonable. Human greed is just going to always be the issue here