Page 1 of 36
... LastLast

Changing specs on the fly costs 100 gold. Every time.

Currently on the Legion Alpha, classes are no longer limited to a dual spec and have access to all specs at any time. The problem is, it costs 100 gold every time you switch your spec. Every single time.

I know 100 gold is very easy to acquire in the game today, but for a new player or a casual player it might not be that easy.

Not to mention, raiders will change specs on a fight by fight basis to maximize their throughput, meaning it might cost them 1000 gold on a raid night which is ridiculous.

This change will probably even scare new players or casual players from changing their specs and trying out new roles which is not good for the game.

Does anyone else not see this as a problem and a very stupid move by blizzard?

Edit: I realize its a placeholder, but the fact still stands that charging players gold for switching specs is pointless.
    Last edited by Richardbro; 2016-01-20 at 02:47 PM.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

Nope. If you level a toon from 1-90 and quest you can easily make 15k gold. Also, even if you are a total causal player, like myself, you can easily make 20-40k a month in gold. You seem like you're just looking to complain about something and so this is it... But that's just a guess.

Exceptions don't matter in this scenario... that Druid that changes his or her spec with every boss pull in order to maximize output? That Druid does not represent the average. For the average it's really going to depend on some details that we don't yet have access to:

• How much gold the average player is sitting on
    • How easy gold is to acquire / accumulate in Legion
    • How often spec changes will occur

Absent that this is fear-from-speculation. With that data though Blizzard can easily adjust the costs (or remove them entirely) as needed.

FFS just give us a third spec and charge us an arm and a leg one-time fee and be done with it.

If there's anything I fucking hate it's being nickle and dimed to death...

Deleted
    Well... if they nerf the gold missions from WoD garrisons in Legion, then this will surely affect my income, because I almost don't trade anything on the AH - my alts use up everything. The only thing which could possibly contribute to my income without gold missions would be tailor bags.

So I probably be playing only one spec with all of my alts, and only a few will have 2 artifacts and only my main will have all 3. Looks like I will not be raiding much in Legion, just like now.

I don't really think that is fair for hybirds that switch specs depending on encounter and also what they do outside of raids/dungeons.

It would be easy for me to drain 1k gold per day if this was in effect now, I switch from tank to DPS all the time.

Edit: Saw it was a placeholder. Why can't they just keep tomes around?

Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    Exceptions don't matter in this scenario... that Druid that changes his or her spec with every boss pull in order to maximize output? That Druid does not represent the average. For the average it's really going to depend on some details that we don't yet have access to:

• How much gold the average player is sitting on
    • How easy gold is to acquire / accumulate in Legion
    • How often spec changes will occur

Absent that this is fear-from-speculation. With that data though Blizzard can easily adjust the costs (or remove them entirely) as needed.
    You would be surprised how many people change their spec regularly, even casual raiders. Arms/Fury, different hunter specs, warlock specs. etc. So no, those players aren't uncommon to come across.

Quote Originally Posted by Keashaa View Post
    They already stated this is only a placeholder.

https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/sta...31941369327616
    Placeholder or not, the fact that they're considering players use their gold to change specs is very comical. It's like they're punishing you for having fun.
    Last edited by Richardbro; 2016-01-20 at 02:43 PM.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTophat View Post
    Personally the cost isn't high enough to break my bank but it's high enough to be irksome. What's the point? Honestly why even have a cost tied with this? What new and interesting game play arises from charging 100g instead of 50g or 10g or, hell, any gold for that matter!

Shrug Just a feature I won't bother to use because it's literally just a 'throw 100g in the trash' button right now.
    Well, the maximum cost for respeccing in Classic was 50 gold, which was quite an amount back than compared to now - but the average player did not have to respec that often, so this amount evened out.

What's the point in this gold sink, anyway? You are already limited by the grind to level your artifacts and by collecting gear in the use of all of your specs. This extra cost is stupid.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2016-01-20 at 02:45 PM.

Someone already posted that it's a placeholder. 100g is annoying at most for raiding, but it would be really devastating for leveling. For exmaple, I like to quest as a fury warrior, but if I want to run a specific instance during the leveling process I'll swap to protection for a fast queue. A level 30, or even 65 might have a hard time swinging 100g (200g) to spec prot, and then back for an instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post

Does anyone else not see this as a problem and a very stupid move by blizzard?
    Since its a possibly random number in the Alpha, no it doesnt worry me. But I wouldn't prefer if it was an inscription reagent instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardbro View Post
    You would be surprised how many people change their spec regularly, even casual raiders. Arms/Fury, different hunter specs, warlock specs. etc. So no, those players aren't uncommon to come across.

Placeholder or not, the fact that they're considering players use their gold to change specs is very comical. It's like they're punishing you for having fun.
    Do you know how Placeholders work? Lol?

You just put in a value, or a piece of dialogue, or anything of that sort randomly as a.. Place.. holder.

If they had said "This is what we considered for its final implementation in the game, but based on your feedback we'll change it", it'd be another story.

But it was a random value instilled as a, let's say it one more time, Placeholder.

Did you see the Ursoc dialogue and say "What a fucking joke Blizzard that you'd even THINK to put in such stupid bear puns as his dialogue!!! This is obviously so srs and not a placeholder in the slightest!!!!"

Chill until it's finalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChellDk View Post
    Nope. If you level a toon from 1-90 and quest you can easily make 15k gold. Also, even if you are a total causal player, like myself, you can easily make 20-40k a month in gold. You seem like you're just looking to complain about something and so this is it... But that's just a guess.
    Quite a high horse you are sitting on huh? Most people never have that kind of gold.

Deleted
    Regardless of all that, I hope they put a system in for dungeons/lfr. I don't want to spend 100g before a dungeon to respec only for someone to decline the queue or the other way around, to have the group waiting for me to respec while I'm in. Although questing as healer seems more possible now, so that's good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Quite a high horse you are sitting on huh? Most people never have that kind of gold.
    Agreed. Flying alone is 10k, then the garrison is quite expensive. Yes, you gain a lot of money from questing, but you do spend most of it. I'm happy if I got 1k left of that when I finally reach 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    Regardless of all that, I hope they put a system in for dungeons/lfr. I don't want to spend 100g before a dungeon to respec only for someone to decline the queue or the other way around, to have the group waiting for me to respec while I'm in. Although questing as healer seems more possible now, so that's good.
    I don't see a real reason for it to cost money anyway. Just double the length of time to cast the respec if you need some sort of quick change determent.

Placeholder maybe, but according to the tweet ("The 100g is purely a placeholder at the moment. We are still working out what the cost will be!"), the cost will be there. Which I don't think it should - first, we have already paid (sometimes 1000g, for characters who had it bought before the price was lowered) for second spec, and shouldn't be additionally charged for it. Second, I think they should just either make it free, or give it one time payment for "third spec" and leave it there.
    Not make it something actively discouraging people from spec switching etc.
    Who am I kidding though, this is "having fun is bad gameplay, and extra hurdles, timewasters and annoyances are good" blizzard we're talking about here.

I never really have understood why they do things like this, purposely making it harder for people to have fun when there is no reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Do you know how Placeholders work? Lol?

You just put in a value, or a piece of dialogue, or anything of that sort randomly as a.. Place.. holder.

If they had said "This is what we considered for its final implementation in the game, but based on your feedback we'll change it", it'd be another story.

But it was a random value instilled as a, let's say it one more time, Placeholder.

Did you see the Ursoc dialogue and say "What a fucking joke Blizzard that you'd even THINK to put in such stupid bear puns as his dialogue!!! This is obviously so srs and not a placeholder in the slightest!!!!"

Chill until it's finalized.
    Don't bother with logic or reason... as these forums have proven for years, there's always going to be something people complain and bitch about... even when its prefaced as work-in-progress/not final/placeholder.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Luckily I have over 1.5 million gold. Looks like i'll need it.
    On another note, they'll probably nerf the cost to 10g, that seems more affordable.