PC Build - Budget $600

Never built a computer before and I'm looking for some help. Current games are WoW, LoL and some steam games. I have a monitor and keyboard. Shouldn't need an operating system either. Thank you in advance.

Deleted
    Hey, have a look at this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($68.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($37.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($144.99 @ Micro Center)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $596.83
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 05:44 EST-0500

- - - Updated - - -

if you can spare a few more bucks you can get a power supply with a little more headroom for a possible gpu upgrade in the future. This one should do it.

Does this set up not need cooling? Might get this one

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Hey, have a look at this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($68.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($37.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($144.99 @ Micro Center)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($38.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $596.83
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-09 05:44 EST-0500

- - - Updated - - -

if you can spare a few more bucks you can get a power supply with a little more headroom for a possible gpu upgrade in the future. This one should do it.
    It doesn't make sense to skimp on the GPU. A 950 isn't very cost-efficient compared to an r9 380. Additionally, upgrading from an i5 6500 to 6600 is so trivial that it doesn't warrant the extra money. This money can be reinvested elsewhere.

Here is a better system for less money: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yqbLhM

If the OP decides a trivial CPU upgrade is worth $15 then that's fine as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    A 950 isn't very cost-efficient compared to an r9 380. Additionally, upgrading from an i5 6500 to 6600 is so trivial that it doesn't warrant the extra money. This money can be reinvested elsewhere.
    Except that the 6600 has turbo to 3.9 and 6500 to 3.6. For wow that makes the difference and its worth the 15bucks. For the gpu what makes you think that in wow in particular the r9 380 will play than a gtx950? Cause it won't.

7+ Year Old Account
    Except that the 6600 has turbo to 3.9 and 6500 to 3.6. For wow that makes the difference and its worth the 15bucks. For the gpu what makes you think that in wow in particular the r9 380 will play than a gtx950? Cause it won't.
    Every benchmark proves the 380 is far superior to a gtx 950. If you're trying to argue based on nonexistent benchmarks, I'm not interested in continuing this discussion. If you're also trying to say "well, the 950 will run WoW just fine," I can say with certainty the 380 will run it better, with a noticeable difference.

Deleted
    Every benchmark proves the 380 is far superior to a gtx 950. If you're trying to argue based on nonexistent benchmarks, I'm not interested in continuing this discussion. If you're also trying to say "well, the 950 will run WoW just fine," I can say with certainty the 380 will run it better, with a noticeable difference.
    In general yes but not in those particular games he mentioned... You probably haven't been around enough to read ppl bitching about the R9 380 in wow...

Also right now there is an offer for gtx960 for 159.99 after rebates, which wasn't there yesterday, i'd grab that instead.

7+ Year Old Account
    In general yes but not in those particular games he mentioned... You probably haven't been around enough to read ppl bitching about the R9 380 in wow...

Also right now there is an offer for gtx960 for 159.99 after rebates, which wasn't there yesterday, i'd grab that instead.
    Gtx 960 is fine for the money, but please don't defend a 950. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.

Im a nvidia kind of guy just to point that out.

Ok i completely agree with your quote. Heres my twist on it: Amd lower tiers are better than nvidia low tiers.

Basicly if you want the best of the best go the team green amd get the 970, 980, 980ti, or titanx. If youre looking for lower end price/performance go amd. I do not know any amd products by name im sorry.

So OP get that amd380 instead of a nvidia950.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powerco...93804gbd5ppdhe

5$ more than the cheapest 960 for better performance and twice vram.

Deleted
    Gtx 960 is fine for the money, but please don't defend a 950. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
    Thats a sale atm. Those high overlocked 950's dont have that much difference with 960s so it really comes down to price if they can cover the performance difference. A +10/15% on top of a 950 its worth the 960 performance difference. But if one is at 150$ and the other at 200$, then definately not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinygreendot View Post

Ok i completely agree with your quote. Heres my twist on it: Amd lower tiers are better than nvidia low tiers.

Basicly if you want the best of the best go the team green amd get the 970, 980, 980ti, or titanx. If youre looking for lower end price/performance go amd. I do not know any amd products by name im sorry.

390 a bit better than 970.
    390x on par with more expensive 980.
    Last edited by dubchee; 2016-02-12 at 08:31 AM.

WoW and Blizzard games heavily favor nVidia at the low end. WoW -will- run better on a 950/960 than a 380. Just dig around in the forums a bit and do some googling, you will see all sorts of people that have stuttering issues with 280/380s. It's due to the way their drivers work. Since WoW is CPU bound, when AMD GPUs are waiting on the CPU, they down clock. Since they end up just waiting on the CPU again, they stay downclocked and this ends up causing stuttering in WoW. nVidia GPUs, even the 950, do not do this, so there is no stuttering in WoW.

Also, I find it hilarious that you say the 960 is fine for the money but not the 950. You do realize that an OCed 950 will perform nearly identically to the 960 and costs less? So the 960 is worth it but the 950 which can perform the same for less is not? Please, just stop trying to give people advice. You are going to waste their money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tinygreendot View Post

No, the 950 is the best low end card currently, nothing from AMD at that price point is better. Not when you can OC it and have it perform nearly identically for a 960. Especially for WoW, which heavily favors nVidia at the low end.

You are also wrong about the top end though. AMD owns that right now. Why you would even suggest a 970, 980, 980ti or titanx baffles me. A 390 is slightly cheaper than a 970 and is better. The 980 was -never- worth it's money, being 50% more expensive than a 970 but only 15% or so more powerful. AMD Fury/Fury X is a better pick than a 980ti/TitanX.

Deleted
    Thats the thing really, it comes down to price like i said. For 20bucks you get the 960 over the 950 eyes closed. If its 50bucks you don't. Also yes if you do further overlock on the 950 you can almost reach a 960, it will depend from the cooling solution, how much is overclock or capped from the manufacturer. BUT you can do that to the 960 as well and keep the performance difference from the 950 when overclocked too. Again comes down to what is available on what price.

That EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0 i linked is a beasty 960. No 950 overclock high or not will come close to it. Add to that the price, well then, its a obvious grab me situation.

For the price, though, the 950 cannot be beat. Not sure why he posted what must literally be the most expensive 950 out there, but i can get one around here for 119 or less.

Cheapest 380 is about 65$ more than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    AMD Fury/Fury X is a better pick than a 980ti/TitanX.
    Not remotely. 15% slower, almost across the board and will not fit in a lot of cases.

Currently, nVidia is pretty well dominating at the low end and top-end. Everywhere else, AMD is in the lead (though not always by a crushing amount). In any case, the only reason you should be buying a GPU right now is because you must. otherwise, wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    For the price, though, the 950 cannot be beat. Not sure why he posted what must literally be the most expensive 950 out there, but i can get one around here for 119 or less.

Cheapest 380 is about 65$ more than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Not remotely. 15% slower, almost across the board and will not fit in a lot of cases.

Currently, nVidia is pretty well dominating at the low end and top-end. Everywhere else, AMD is in the lead (though not always by a crushing amount). In any case, the only reason you should be buying a GPU right now is because you must. otherwise, wait.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia...ore/index.html

Almost across the board?

Ok, in Unigine Heaven, BF4 and Grid:Autosport yeah. In Metro:LL, Shadow of Mordor, Thief, Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite they perform nearly identically. The Titan X is also about $300 more. So the Titan X is better because it performs a little bit better in some games and has a much higher price tag?

No thanks, Fury X is better because it costs far far less and performs nearly identically in most games.

Also, won't fit in most cases?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r9furyx4g
    That Fury X is 195mm long, so are the others I looked at. That's shorter than most 970s and the TitanX's I looked at are 267-280+mm, so it's smaller than those too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    WoW and Blizzard games heavily favor nVidia at the low end. WoW -will- run better on a 950/960 than a 380. Just dig around in the forums a bit and do some googling, you will see all sorts of people that have stuttering issues with 280/380s. It's due to the way their drivers work. Since WoW is CPU bound, when AMD GPUs are waiting on the CPU, they down clock. Since they end up just waiting on the CPU again, they stay downclocked and this ends up causing stuttering in WoW. nVidia GPUs, even the 950, do not do this, so there is no stuttering in WoW.

Also, I find it hilarious that you say the 960 is fine for the money but not the 950. You do realize that an OCed 950 will perform nearly identically to the 960 and costs less? So the 960 is worth it but the 950 which can perform the same for less is not? Please, just stop trying to give people advice. You are going to waste their money.

- - - Updated - - -

No, the 950 is the best low end card currently, nothing from AMD at that price point is better. Not when you can OC it and have it perform nearly identically for a 960. Especially for WoW, which heavily favors nVidia at the low end.

You are also wrong about the top end though. AMD owns that right now. Why you would even suggest a 970, 980, 980ti or titanx baffles me. A 390 is slightly cheaper than a 970 and is better. The 980 was -never- worth it's money, being 50% more expensive than a 970 but only 15% or so more powerful. AMD Fury/Fury X is a better pick than a 980ti/TitanX.
    1) I don't understand why you're comparing an overclocked version of a gpu to a standard factory version. You could just as easily overclock the 960. The important thing here is comparing the price point and the base performance it offers to the same aspects of another card. A 950, given the price tag listed would have been a horrible buy since you could spend a small amount upgrading to an r9 380 for significant gains in performance.

2) You have no real evidence to support your claim that WoW will run better on a gtx 950 compared to an r9 380. If it's purely anecdotal with no scientific comparison, I could simply link this to "prove" Nvidia has issues http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/16410602286

Deleted
    2) You have no real evidence to support your claim that WoW will run better on a gtx 950 compared to an r9 380. If it's purely anecdotal with no scientific comparison, I could simply link this to "prove" Nvidia has issues http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/16410602286
    It really is better for low-mid gpu's. This should give you an idea with older cards.When you get to an R9 390 its powerful enough that doesn't matter. When some ppl had problems with that issue you linked, i never had it with an nvidia card, it was mostly ppl with 970's. But it was a problem for some other cards including amd's. There was something else going on cause not everyone had it with either brand.

edit:here's a more recent one.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2016-02-13 at 02:37 AM.

1) I don't understand why you're comparing an overclocked version of a gpu to a standard factory version. You could just as easily overclock the 960. The important thing here is comparing the price point and the base performance it offers to the same aspects of another card. A 950, given the price tag listed would have been a horrible buy since you could spend a small amount upgrading to an r9 380 for significant gains in performance.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

1) Yes, of course I am comparing an OCed 950 to a non-OCed 960. That's the point, the 960 is more expensive. You can get a 950 for cheap and OC it and basically have a non-OCed 960, which as you can see in the benchmarks posted below, will beat the 280x and 285 which are basically the same performance as a 380. The 950 is also about $60-80 cheaper and -will- perform better in WoW.

2) Well, if you consider that an R9 280x will run about the same as a 380:
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...50_SSC/27.html

The non-OCed 950 beats the 280x. So yeah, I do have evidence. I also know from experience, where I have a 960 and my friend had a 380, otherwise identical systems, completely fresh builds and windows installs, clean WoW install, no add-ons, his stutters, mine doesn't. Swap our GPUs, guess what, I stutter, he doesn't. He even RMA'd the GPU because he thought it was faulty and got another one, same issue.

Looking at the benchmark it is clear to anyone with half a brain, WoW favor nVidia. This is a well known fact and has been for quite some time.