Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I guess some examples I can take from off the top of my head:

"He has luck with all the females"

"Females are better/worse at x"

"I accept I will never have female companionship, I am too ugly"

"Of course a female wouldn't like x because of y reason"

(This is in no way an extensive or complete list.)

It just sounds so.. odd. I understand they're synonyms, but it carries a different tone that seems very odd to me?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Detritivores View Post
    I am unaware of this being an issue.
    It's not anywhere close to an issue, nor am i trying to make it one. It's simply a trend I've been noticing that I think is a tad odd and I wanted to get a better understanding of the thoughts behind it, so that I could feel not as confused and creeped out by it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same reason why there's 50 Eskimo words for ‘snow’. Because someone got offended with one word that means snow, so they invented another word. Then that word got offense and another word was created. So on and so forth. Call an adult women a girl, and she's offended. Call a female a woman and she's offended. Call her a female, and she thinks you're weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Icuren View Post
    It's something I keep seeing all over the place and it kinda creeps me out.

Why do people keep saying "female" instead of woman/girl?

Seeing "Female companionship" instead of "girlfriend" sounds like someone is trying to fill in an essay page count lol.

So really - why do people do it.

(I think I've seen maybe one or two instances where people use "male" instead of "man" or "boy" but not to the same frequency)
    In this day and age of people taking offense to words. I think it is a way for someone to be "PC" when talking about someone of the female gender and being "sensitive" to their age. "Woman" makes the person sound old, "girl" makes the person sound young.

7+ Year Old Account
    Woman sounds old, girl sounds young.

Female works just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not anywhere close to an issue, nor am i trying to make it one. It's simply a trend I've been noticing that I think is a tad odd and I wanted to get a better understanding of the thoughts behind it, so that I could feel not as confused and creeped out by it.
    Posters here love to get all up in your face about simple ass questions and topics of discussions. Just the other day someone raged at me because I made a thread discussing people who sit right in front of you in an empty movie theater and tried to turn it into this huge overblown issue.

I think you are alone in being creeped out by this. Female and male are completely normal words describing gender. I would use female in the same context that I would use male, as a description of gender.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Posters here love to get all up in your face about simple ass questions and topics of discussions. Just the other day someone raged at me because I made a thread discussing people who sit right in front of you in an empty movie theater and tried to turn it into this huge overblown issue.
    What about people who stand next to you in a public restroom when it's just you and them?

Shit freaks me out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    What about people who stand next to you in a public restroom when it's just you and them?

Shit freaks me out.
    Exactly. That was kind of my main point but no apparently I was enacting a law that nobody could be within 100 feet of me in a public building lol

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Woman sounds old, girl sounds young.

Female works just fine.
    To me female sounds way too informal, and "scientific". Female hawk, male crocodile. Male or female when talking medically.

Woman just sounds "adult aged".

Well I guess I pretty much got my answers, thanks for the answers folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Cuz that's the two genders we have.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post

No, there are 2, and 56 other types with mental health issues.

yes.

this.

also, saying girl might get you in trouble... woman sounds old... female sounds about right

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    If it's important enough to make a thread about I don't think discussing it's import as a real issue or not is off limits. Thus far, OP as presented basically no evidence to support this as any sort of legitimate topic outside of their own brain. I'm not wrong for pointing out that myself (and likely most people) don't feel the same.

Deleted
    Why wouldn't they?

I'm a 22 year old man, or a 22 year old male.

It's no different.

This female is cray cray.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I think you are alone in being creeped out by this. Female and male are completely normal words describing gender. I would use female in the same context that I would use male, as a description of gender.
    It's not when it's a description of gender, but when refering to say, groups of women, or an identified individual in a discussion.

I must be alone though, haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's important enough to make a thread about I don't think discussing it's import as a real issue or not is off limits. Thus far, OP as presented basically no evidence to support this as any sort of legitimate topic outside of their own brain. I'm not wrong for pointing out that myself (and likely most people) don't feel the same.
    You're not wrong because you're civilized at least. Nothing wrong with questioning. Was more a warning that if this goes on for a few more threads someone will come in insulting and throwing around hyperbole making mountains out of molehills.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's always about context. I typically use 'Female' when indirectly referencing someone (IE: A Female Student / Coworker / ect), and typically apply 'Girl' to kids and 'Woman' to adults. Though I do say 'Lady friend' when referencing a female friend of mine that I'm in a platonic relationship with, kind of a habit I've never been able to shake (Mostly since i found it funny at the time and I make too many of my lifestyle choices based on what I find funny )

Because preferences.

7+ Year Old Account
    Seriously... People drowning on glasses of water everywhere. Making a problem out of thin air. You people have too much time in your hands.
    Create a 10000 word essay and file it to Oxford so they can change all the words that you dislike about genders.

Maybe it's because we think of female as an adjective first and a noun second. I rarely use female as a noun so it sounds out of place. Some people think of female as a noun first and use it accordingly.

I don't see it a lot anyways. Only my black friends refer to women as females.