Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    They'll get mad if you call them girl, and they don't have enough of my respect to be called a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    My point was to demonstrate that gender, like all social constructs, can't just be "ignored" despite being created out of whole cloth by society.
    Then your argumentation was rather weak. One social construct being useful does not make all social constructs useful. Extreme attachment to any of them (and probably anything) is just as irrational.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    Because its a word that describes the gender of the person they are targeting with their sentence.
    This.

The term 'male' is also used where applicable in roughly equal measure. Shocking, I know!

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I'd say it pushes them to try to get it done as soon as possible and to suffer before it is finished. Although it might be more than that... I am not sure, but it is possible that in a theoretical completely open-minded society going through the operation wouldn't even be necessary, since being a female wouldn't be associated with having a female body, and that wouldn't be a requirement to fit in.
    That's like saying that in a sufficiently "open-minded" society, gays would be fine with having sex with women who wear suits because being a woman isn't associated with having a female body.

I think the word you're actually looking for is genderless. And we're a long way from that. That's post-human you're talking right there.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Chicks broads dames girls ladies women hoes females bitches

Dudes guys bros men fellas boys chaps homeboys

cars automobiles whips rides

Words are crazy difficult, but you'll get the hang of them soon enough.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    That's like saying that in a sufficiently "open-minded" society, gays would be fine with having sex with women who wear suits because being a woman isn't associated with having a female body.

I think the word you're actually looking for is genderless. And we're a long way from that. That's post-human you're talking right there.
    Probably so. In any case, this discussion has little to do with modern realities and is purely philosophical for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Icuren View Post
    Just to pop in with people talking about peoples "brains not being the right one":

We still don't know, or can 100% identify looking at brains of cis gendered people the differences between men and women. And the small ones we do see, can't be concluded as nature, and not the nurturing people receive as children of their gender.

So it's a moot point to try and argue about it.
    I didn't want to say anything, I was enjoying the conversation.

From what I've read, when looking at formations associated with certain sex based hormones you can tell during early development but that's sort of it. After that the brain structures are evenly distributed enough that sex became a poor predictor and there was no valuable way of resorting brain structure growth to create newer more valid sex based distinctions. How the brain behaves is of course really different based on what hormones are fed to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason hormone therapy for transitioning is so slow is how badly abrupt hormonal changes can screw you up. I also wouldn't be too shocked if it was responsible for the increased risk in suicide for people who transition since depression and anxiety are extremely common responses to HT.

Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    Then your argumentation was rather weak. One social construct being useful does not make all social constructs useful. Extreme attachment to any of them (and probably anything) is just as irrational.
    Whether or not the construct is deemed useful is irrelevant. My point has to do with power. Once a social construct becomes ingrained in the psyche of the populous, it becomes very difficult to remove. It's easy to say "we should just ignore gender", but getting everyone on board is an entirely different matter.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Whether or not the construct is deemed useful is irrelevant. My point has to do with power. Once a social construct becomes ingrained in the psyche of the populous, it becomes very difficult to remove. It's easy to say "we should just ignore gender", but getting everyone on board is an entirely different matter.
    And how does that go against my initial point? I never said anything about the ease of degenderizing society, I said that gender being a disproportionate part of a person's identity is a flaw.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

And how does that go against my initial point? I never said anything about the ease of degenderizing society, I said that gender being a disproportionate part of a person's identity is a flaw.
    And my point is saying that doesn't really mean or accomplish anything.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, I must have misinterpreted your point then. I kind of agree that in an ideal world gender shouldn't be a major part of one's identity. In our society however gender roles do determine one's position in the society quite significantly, and as such not being the "right" gender for oneself causes a heap of issues which are usually easier to eliminate by just changing one's body, than trying to live with them.

Personally, I've determined that I care very little about other people's genders, both in usual and romantic relationships - it is all about personality to me. However, I do lean strongly towards females in the romantic sense, since they tend to have a more "feminine" personality which attracts me strongly. Nevertheless, it is not something playing a major part in my life. Of course, I cannot expect everyone to be like myself, but I would like to believe that at some point most people will think this way too.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Ah, I must have misinterpreted your point then. I kind of agree that in an ideal world gender shouldn't be a major part of one's identity. In our society however gender roles do determine one's position in the society quite significantly, and as such not being the "right" gender for oneself causes a heap of issues which are usually easier to eliminate by just changing one's body, than trying to live with them.

Personally, I've determined that I care very little about other people's genders, both in usual and romantic relationships - it is all about personality to me. However, I do lean strongly towards females in the romantic sense, since they tend to have a more "feminine" personality which attracts me strongly. Nevertheless, it is not something playing a major part in my life. Of course, I cannot expect everyone to be like myself, but I would like to believe that at some point most people will think this way too.
    Gender roles are getting more irrelevant by the day, honestly. I'd find it much easier to defy whatever of them remains (as I sorta do already) than going through therapy, HRT and then SRS.

I wouldn't be able to enter a romantic, or likely any kind of relationship with a transgendered individual. I'm sure many of them are good people, but I have an extremely low tolerance to the irrational. Applies to most people, really, and is why I'm an hermit.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Every time I hear someone use female in a certain way, they remind me of Ferengi from Star Trek.

I wouldn't be able to enter a romantic, or likely any kind of relationship with a transgendered individual.
    There is nothing wrong with that. That's no different than not being attracted to someone because of body type, hair color, whatever.

I rarely hear someone say"male" unless they are talking about an animal... People solely using "female" to describe women is annoying... Like, " I ran into this female earlier that drove me crazy" or "I'm always nice to females". The people I have met that speak like this act as if they act as if they have forgotten lady, woman, girl, etc. Idk, I find it annoying, but from the way it looks in this post, most do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbleach View Post
    I rarely hear someone say"male" unless they are talking about an animal... People solely using "female" to describe women is annoying... Like, " I ran into this female earlier that drove me crazy" or "I'm always nice to females". The people I have met that speak like this act as if they act as if they have forgotten lady, woman, girl, etc. Idk, I find it annoying, but from the way it looks in this post, most do not.
    I haven't forgotten. But saying 'female' is merely telling it how it is - if you say 'girl', people are going to assume you mean a child or maybe teen. If you say chick, some overhearing feminazi is going to get offended. And I wouldn't call anyone under the age of about 30 a woman. Female covers everything. Just as male does.

I find it kind of funny that people actually seem to get offended, or find it 'silly', that some of us say male and female. Is it commonly used like girl/boy, dude/chick, etc are? No. Is it wrong? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    It cool to do when black people started doing it.
    You're just upset that black people, are trendsetters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

How can something accurate like this creep you out?

O_o

Female is a designation of a gender. There's nothing untoward about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Icuren View Post
    It's something I keep seeing all over the place and it kinda creeps me out.

Why do people keep saying "female" instead of woman/girl?

Seeing "Female companionship" instead of "girlfriend" sounds like someone is trying to fill in an essay page count lol.

So really - why do people do it.

(I think I've seen maybe one or two instances where people use "male" instead of "man" or "boy" but not to the same frequency)
    Some sections of use is depend on the situation. Like "Female companionship", it basically just announces that one might be with a woman of unknown relations. And some sadly also use the term as some gets a little 'triggered' by the term, 'the woman' (am I doing it right? I don't believe in people being 'triggered' by stuff so simple).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..