Boss-By-Boss Talents & Rotations

Last expansion I mained on my Monk and was always in the top 2-3 on my server, but this expansion we all decided we were far too melee heavy and so I switched to my mage - but I'm finding it hard to pull the numbers. I know that Icy Veins used to have a good write up for recommendations on talents/rotation changes for different bosses but I can't seem to find that any longer (at least not for mages).

Is there a good place I can go to see a good "frost mage strategy" for HFC?

With my monk I always knew what talents to choose for each fight based on the need for single target, multi-target, AoE, etc - but on my mage I'm having some issues with that. From what I've seen and read it seems that Crystal is best for single targets while Comets are better for multi, but I'm not 100% certain on which build to use for the various HFC bosses.

I've done as much as I can doing extensive comparisons on the Mr Robot Logs and Warcraft Logs (I often use Kuni as my model of "how did she do it on this fight") but I'm nowhere near her skill level so while my build might be similar I'm finding my DPS suffering (albeit it has improved quite a bit by using Kuni as a model).

I don't know if anyone puts any real stock into the Mr Robot percentiles, but on my monk I was always in the 96-99%, on my mage I'm generally 65-80% and I would really like to improve that.

Deleted
    technically crystal single target is better. but in frost specc its also really clunky. my advice is to get enough haste from gear / enchants to go unstable magic + thermal void combo. other than that if ur a mythic raider, frost is only good on certain bosses i.e council. most bosses arcane outscales frost by now. even tho arcane is one of the most rng based speccs ingame atm. cant help you with a good boss to boss guide tho. been looking for that myself too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutfico View Post
    Is there a good place I can go to see a good "frost mage strategy" for HFC?
    presuming you want to play frost on every boss and don't care about fire/arcane, and presuming you have 2/4 hfc set bonus + the class trinket...

Hellfire Assault: Thermal Void + Unstable Magic (who cares about this fight)
    Iron Reaver: Prismatic Crystal + Unstable Magic
    Kormrok: Comet Storm + Ice Nova if you want to afk until hands and cheese with Doom Nova procs, Prismatic Crystal + Ice Nova if not
    Hellfire High Council: Thermal Void + Unstable Magic
    Killrogg Deadeye: Prismatic Crystal + Unstable Magic
    Gorfiend: Prismatic Crystal + Unstable Magic
    Shadow-Lord Iskar: Thermal Void + Unstable Magic
    Socrethar: Prismatic Crystal + Unstable Magic
    Fel Lord: Prismatic Crystal + Unstable Magic
    Xhul: Thermal Void + Unstable Magic
    Tyrant: Thermal Void + Unstable Magic (Prismatic Crystal can be better but depends how your guild does the fight)
    Mannoroth: Thermal Void + Ice Nova (use twice on each imp wave)
    Archimonde: Thermal Void + Unstable Magic

Quote Originally Posted by whitecluster View Post
    technically crystal single target is better. but in frost specc its also really clunky. my advice is to get enough haste from gear / enchants to go unstable magic + thermal void combo. other than that if ur a mythic raider, frost is only good on certain bosses i.e council. most bosses arcane outscales frost by now. even tho arcane is one of the most rng based speccs ingame atm. cant help you with a good boss to boss guide tho. been looking for that myself too.
    Good RNG mainly affects the overall meter though. An Arcane with bad RNG will still be better than Frost in most fights because of the burn phases that are required by the guild strategy to burn something down fast, and not only look good on the meter. It will also be better than Fire in most progression fights for the same reason and because Fire has to be babysat by the player in some ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    "first of all frost is really good spec and working really nicely .. but @ max gear and high ilvl Fire and arcane is deadly strong ( however Fire is the top dps in all bosse's even single target one After PC Will improve the ignite much) playing arcane is really simple and just needs 2 weeks training. but Fire is really depends too the fight and u dont have a Normal rotation..
    SO i will prefer u too read this notes really help u :

1st Boss - Fire could work well here with a few chances to get some cleave. All add fight. Arcane could go Ok though if you're struggling to kill priority targets.
    Reaver - Arcane. Pure single target, and the majority of movement is done during his "immune" phase.
    Kormrok - Arcane again. All single target, though Arcane might lose a bit of dps later in the fight with lots of waves coming at you.
    Council - I'd probably still run Arcane for this fight. There's not enough opportunity to cleave imo (two bosses can't be near each other and the other just around like an idiot) and having that strong single target from Arcane at the end could be great.
    Kilrogg - I guess Fire could work maybe, but the adds seem spread and need high burst taking them down so Arcane would be better.
    Gorefiend - Same as above. There are adds, but they're sporadic and need to be nuked quickly. They're not really close enough or high hp enough for Fire to do a lot to them imo.
    Iskar - Fire could do very well here. The add phases have some nice higher-hp mobs to get a big group combust into. Again though, Arcane could do fine if you're having problems with priority mobs.
    Socrethar - Fire or Arcane will work here. There's plenty of adds in the second phase for Fire, but there's also plenty of nice single target for Arcane. It really just comes down to preference and what your raid needs.
    Zakuun - Single target Arcane fight all the way.
    Xul'horac - There are some adds so Fire might be Ok for padding, but I'd suspect Arcane would be preferable for boss and nuke damage.
    Velhari - Looks like there's some potential for good solid 2-target cleave, but I still think Arcane will be the better spec there.
    Mannoroth - Fire could be useful in the early phases when you get lots more adds, but by phase 3 it won't have much to do. It will be a tough one, but I think Arcane will be better here. I get the feeling having that strong single target when he reaches his soft enrage at 35% will make Arcane a must.
    Archimonde - Another tough choice. I suspect Fire might get the higher dps here overall with fairly constant adds, but I think it will be easier as Arcane. The strong single target for adds that need to die quickly is good. It depends on the cleave/aoe strengths for your raid.

#wowforums

Deleted
    Hello

If you would be so nice to put a log + bnet link so we can see your gear + progression would be the first step here.

Im not going in details here, but i will let you know in what direction to go after i see what you have.
    Currently viable specs per boss:
    Hellfire Assault: Arcane
    Iron Reaver: Arcane
    Komrok: Arcane
    Council: Arcane
    Kilrog: Arcane
    Gorefiend: Arcane
    Iskar: Arcane/Fire
    Zakun: Arcane
    Xhul: Arcane/Frost depends on what your raid need. Also note Fire is optional on Mythic after you have the boss on farm (however if you have this on farm we both know you wouldnt be posting this thread)
    Socrethar: Arcane
    Velhari: Arcane/Frost
    Mannoroth: Arcane
    Archimonde: Arcane/Frost

Let me know if you have any questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by juhi View Post
    but @ max gear and high ilvl Fire and arcane is deadly strong ( however Fire is the top dps in all bosse's even single target one After PC Will improve the ignite much) playing arcane is really simple and just needs 2 weeks training. but Fire is really depends too the fight and u dont have a Normal rotation..
    Your actual boss by boss recommendations were fine since you pretty much said Arcane for all of them but Fire isn't the top dps on nearly all HFC fights, and definitely not single-target. Fire also has a completely normal rotation and is not at all more complicated than Arcane.