Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Torbjorn: Dementor

Anyone else get this impression. It's not that he's tough to counter particularly, as posteed in that other thread he's something of a "noob tube" or w/e

But for me he sucks a lot of fun out of the games, whether he's on my team or the enemies.

And you see loads of genuinely skillful plays during a game but PotG goes to a dead Torbjorn who skillfully got killed, but his turret got a few kills after he was dead.

Yes this is a whine post, and by all means point out the various weaknesses and drawbacks he has, I doubt you will be wrong. But does anyone else feel like seeing Torbjorn in your game just drains a fair portion of the fun out of that match?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Anyone else get this impression. It's not that he's tough to counter particularly, as posteed in that other thread he's something of a "noob tube" or w/e

But for me he sucks a lot of fun out of the games, whether he's on my team or the enemies.

And you see loads of genuinely skillful plays during a game but PotG goes to a dead Torbjorn who skillfully got killed, but his turret got a few kills after he was dead.

Yes this is a whine post, and by all means point out the various weaknesses and drawbacks he has, I doubt you will be wrong. But does anyone else feel like seeing Torbjorn in your game just drains a fair portion of the fun out of that match?
    They're not fun to play against or with. People without the experience just get mowed down and people with even 10 hours of game time run trains through em. Personally it can be kind of fun getting a free kill but they're more of an annoyance than anything.

I will say though that certain choke points he does very well on but again, he's way too easily countered by Junkrat/Pharah so it feels like a waste of a player spot.

Because his sentry is a constant factor which is more likely or not going to be more rewarding than it should be at the player's skill level? We've all been there.

Yeah I've got about 90% of my play time on Pharah so it isn't particularly a "win/lose" scenario thing, and I don't really mind dying to him once or twice. I find the tip "remember to stay at max range to take down static defense" a bit null because of the infrequency of situations where you *can* out range it.

It just seems so stale. Compared to the hyper adrenaline pace of the rest of the game and it's characters, it feels really out of place to slow things down to remove a Torbjorn. I was playing late last night and the pool of online people got a bit smaller there was a guy playing Torbjorn every game witohut changing and would do the same stuff every game. I just wonder how it's fun to do.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I found him super dull to play as and incredibly annoying to play against. His turrets acquire targets extremely quickly so it's difficult for a squishier damage dealer to kill it before it either forces you to back off or races you down in a damage race. If he's also on it healing it, it can also be a big problem for heroes that are beefier.
    I play Roadhog almost always, so he is easy pickings for me. They tend to stupidly stand in place upgrading/healing the turret so its a free kill, but on other heroes he is definitely really annoying.
    Also, fuck anyone that picks Torbjorn on offense. Just stop, it isn't good, you are weighing us down.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Because his sentry is a constant factor which is more likely or not going to be more rewarding than it should be at the player's skill level? We've all been there.
    I'm not sure I get what you mean, but surely heros like wossisname the Gorilla are suitable for players at a lower skill level. I don't think (and I already accept that I am hardly a great source for game vision) that removing Torbjorn from the game would make it suffer in the slightest, except to the few people who would remember him.

Holy fuck its been about 3 minutes and I keep coming up with "Bastion" and I know that isn't the gorillas name. Fuck. Brain fart.

ED: Winston. Damn.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some people just like the turret/engineer play style. My old boss used to be excellent at it. He would just run around and repair his turret, health dispenser and portal in TF2. He never actually got a kill himself except maybe from a wrench.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

I'm not sure I get what you mean, but surely heros like wossisname the Gorilla are suitable for players at a lower skill level. I don't think (and I already accept that I am hardly a great source for game vision) that removing Torbjorn from the game would make it suffer in the slightest, except to the few people who would remember him.

Holy fuck its been about 3 minutes and I keep coming up with "Bastion" and I know that isn't the gorillas name. Fuck. Brain fart.

ED: Winston. Damn.
    Whether a sentry is placed by the worst player of best pro in the game, it will always behave in the same way. And will shoot and hit you 100% of the time you are in it's range. At least with Bastion you have to do the aiming yourself which means not everything is going to turn out the same depending on how they play. New players usually flock to the engineer because most of it's skill requirement is placed in that constant.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sentry reaction time and movement speed needs a huge nerf.

You can't even triple blink past one as tracer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the sentry in its current state sucks a lot of the fun out of the game, especially when I see a Torbjorn in almost every game, whether it be on my team or theirs. I'm not complaining much though because it's still in Beta and I'm sure Blizzard will tune it in the coming patch(es).

had a vid of him just hammering the turret because my ENTIRE TEAM full of anti-turret heroes would run into the open and die, ranking up 23 kills by the turret alone.

it just insta switched between them all. at different angles
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-02-12 at 09:56 PM.

Yeah for me amongst the offenders I've already mentioned I'm really not a fan of seeing a kill cam where I jet into the air and it is killing someone at ground level and without slowing rate of fire has swung up to point into the sky and land shots. It's like, slow the speed it can angle at when it's firing or something.

I feel like they need to add a bit more depth to him - i.e. his turret needs to be easier to kill and have a longer cd to cast, but while it's down he gains some personal defensive and offensive power. kind of like bastion
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I feel like they need to add a bit more depth to him - i.e. his turret needs to be easier to kill and have a longer cd to cast, but while it's down he gains some personal defensive and offensive power. kind of like bastion
    I kinda feel like he should be a "tank" version of Symmetra, able to place multiple weak turrets (although far longer range than Symmetras) but be more beefcake in exchange. No idea what his ulti even is tbh but I was thinking something along the lines of the Odin ulti for Tychus from HotS, some big steampunky exo suit with long range powerful missile attacks or some shit.

Anything other than this lol

dont think the turret needs easier killing or longer CD. Just a more reasonable turn and targeting speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    dont think the turret needs easier killing or longer CD. Just a more reasonable turn and targeting speed.
    Sure, was just throwing out ideas The game is in closed beta, now's the time to make deep changes if they seem warranted. This particular character just feels kinda . . . flat, with his current toolkit. I'd like to see some more flavor injected if possible.
    Doesn't bother me either way, but flat nerfs or buffs to existing mechanics always seem short sighted to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

My major issue is that the turret is an auto-bot that has zero consequences for death.

Can't outrange it? You'll never flank it. An inch of a space between walls? They now know you're there, and you've dropped life as a result, so you're even more fucked. No matter how you approach it, it will instantly lock on and even if for some reason it doesn't fire, the other team knows you're there because of something you can never outplay because of it's auto-bot behavior. Kill it? Oh, how sad. He drops another instantly, because a 12s CD from when it's placed might as well not even be a CD.

Watching PoTG where you see a wall and player kills just rack up is always fun too, it really showcases the skill that a PoTG should show.

That said, if you can get your team to stop blindly charging and stick behind a Reinhardt shield to take it down, you might have a chance to knock him down before he can just instantly set up again.

I had a PotG as Symmetra where it was the last point, Rein came in and ulted as his team followed and I was stunned on the ground as my turrets killed 3-4 people.

Everyone was like "Wat". It was funny, but yeah, I could see why it would get boring seeing things like that.

Another annoyance is turrets actually attack Junkrat's RIP tire unless I'm mistaken. I don't think his ult should be that easy to counter.

yes, yes it should. damn annoying thing. Turrets are EXACTLY what something like that is meant for. There are not a lot of other counters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    That's how they balanced it in TF2, you get recognized by the Sentry before it starts shooting you and if you get close with a fast class you can just run around it while killing it.

Torns turrets basically pre-fire you from behind corners and their turning doesn't affect anything it's practically instant