First time builder, looking for a guide

Can someone link me a very informative video of a step by step guide of putting together a PC?

My wife & I just put together the Mobo with CPU / cooling unit. I mounted it, installed the graphics card, SSD & dvd drive. but now, I have no idea how to connect it all together with the PSU.

I just want to be sure on where everything is connect on the mobo/psu before I move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Trying reading the instructions for the various parts and looking at the labeling on your PSU. For the most part things only fit one way.
    Its just better if I can see someone do it step by step, just installing cords from PSU to the Mobo and other parts. Its better safe than sorry even if the parts fit. Id rather be sure than it be in the wrong spot and I plug it in and fuck it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That's the part where reading the materials that came with the parts comes in handy. They'll help you be sure. There's nothing in a video guide that will give you more confidence than READING THE DIRECTIONS.
    Eh. Reading the manual, especially on motherboards, can be confusing. Especially because they're saying something like "Put this here on model 51X50. But put it here on 51X60. For 51X70 or X8X systems do this." Manuals often cover multiple versions of the same product. Not only that, but superfluous information can cause even more confusion.

I read the manuals for fun, but definitely not for learning.

Best way (at least in my opinion) are videos, or even better first hand. Almost all the systems I build for clients, I will build it in front of them and show them what everything does, or at the very least try to have an opportunity to build one (maybe not theirs) in front of them.

I usually reference Newegg's guide (1, 2, 3), but there are definitely other good ones out there. I might poke around and see if there are convenient ones tomorrow.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    If you got that far without any prior knowledge, I'd check these few steps and make sure you did them right.

- Thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler
    - Motherboard Stand-off's under the motherboard
    - RAM firmly seated, the latches on both sides should be all the way down

- Check Chazus's video for cables!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    If you got that far without any prior knowledge, I'd check these few steps and make sure you did them right.

- Thermal paste between the CPU and the cooler
    - Motherboard Stand-off's under the motherboard
    - RAM firmly seated, the latches on both sides should be all the way down

- Check Chazus's video for cables!
    Yeah I found videos on all that leading up to this part. Did all those right, just having trouble connecting the power supply to everything. Then connecting my USB ports/fans. People arguing over videos/manual. I just want someone to give me a good video, dont argue please. The manual I got with my motherboard is sorda junk, it dont explain how to hook stuff up with the power supply / fans ect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I usually reference Newegg's guide (1, 2, 3), but there are definitely other good ones out there. I might poke around and see if there are convenient ones tomorrow.
    Tyvm, Ill check these out. I gotta run today and get new fans because my mobo takes 4 prong fans and I bought 3 prong. Who knew.

Deleted
    typing your part numbers into youtube can get you a long way. if you look for something "motherboard name assembly/installation/building" chances are youll find something that includes eveything from how to put it in the case to where to put the cables.

i wanted to clean my laptops fan the other day and turned out there were 2 videos (of vastly varying quality) of the entire process for my specific laptop model which was very helpful and reassuring.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IllidariCouncil View Post
    Tyvm, Ill check these out. I gotta run today and get new fans because my mobo takes 4 prong fans and I bought 3 prong. Who knew.
    That's not a problem, they are backwards compatible. 3pin fans can be plugged in to 4pin header.

Hey.

I recently just did a build by myself for the first time. I can't give you much advice, but I can tell you how I did it.

What I checked first: where does the cable fit? The 24pin is kinda obvious, it only should fit one place on the motherboard. Then there were 8/6 pins labeled PCI-E, so I used those for my graphics cards. I guess this also depends a lot on the motherboard (in my case a ASUS Z170-A), but there was only one EPU 8pin connection on the motherboard, so I just used another 8pin cable I had for that. Others were labelled as Type3 or SATA or something, those were the ones I used for my SSD/HDD. I think it's also important to mention that my PSU is modular, don't know if there's any difference in how the cables are labelled or something. (I guess not)

As for how to connect certain other cables to the motherboard like fans, leds , power, etc: This is where you should open the motherboard manual and search for that specific part. I began by searching the web, but couldn't really find anything that helped me, so I decided to take a look at the manual and it's really clear how to connect everything. (Again, at least in my manual) I was searching for single pins on the motherboard to connect those, but that wasn't correct. This is how it's shown in my manual:

Maybe this is of some help to you, but I managed to make it work the first time and I really didn't know anything about building PCs (and still don't)

This is a video I watched before starting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAVTdwFwYPA
    Last edited by Zaak; 2016-02-13 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added yt link

I have used this guide from the forums on The Tech Report to build 2 PC's so far for gaming. Great guide, frequent updates, several different builds depending on budget, and excellent instructions. Both of the PC's I have built have been 100% trouble free and fast rigs.

https://techreport.com/forums/viewto...p?f=33&t=47062