Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Context is a wonderful thing, I said I thought Trump was better than Cruz (and still do) and that "I would actually prefer Trump to be GOP nominee (and lose the election ofc)". That doesn't mean that I didn't think trump was a joke then (and still do), I just didn't realise until now though that the were other viable candidates apart form those too, and that he's actually better than all the others not just Cruz, quite scary.
    I wasn't entirely serious in my accusation, and it wasn't totally in context either.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The funny thing is that a lot of the debaters accused each other of lying, well potential voters only need to type whats said into google to find out if it's true or not lol.

I.E right after Bush accused Trump of going bankrupt four times I Googled it and found out it was crap. I also Googled Florida going into the toilet right after Bush left which appears to be somewhat true (though I would think that reflects worse on his replacement than on him).

The funny thing is that a lot of the debaters accused each other of lying, well potential voters only need to type whats said into google to find out if it's true or not lol.

I.E right after Bush accused Trump of going bankrupt four times I Googled it and found out it was crap. I also Googled Florida going into the toilet right after Bush left which appears to be somewhat true (though I would think that reflects worse on his replacement than on him).
    A lot of people will not question things that already agree with their opinions, or they'll type it in to google and scroll down the list until they find one link that agrees with them for validation.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Where did you get your fact checking? Trump has declared bankruptcy 4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Companies he own have, not him. Which is the distinction being made here.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Companies he own have, not him. Which is the distinction being made here.
    I don't know how it was phrased. But it was anything but "crap." Those four bankruptcies are largely on him.

I don't know how it was phrased. But it was anything but "crap." Those four bankruptcies are largely on him.
    I agree, but people love technicalities.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's interesting to look into these claims sometimes and see how they are either largely stretching the truth to make the claim, or leaving out important details.

I don't really understand Trump's obsession with Jeb. Trump is way ahead and should be focusing on #2 Cruz. Jeb's campaign is barely hanging on and probably within a week of calling it quits. At best he'll ride things through Super Tuesday just on his own funds. If not for putting in a lot of his own money he'd likely have quit already. All bashing Jeb Bush does is alienate the Republican base, or at least the ones that think W wasn't that bad.

Other than that, IMO Cruz and Rubio helped themselves a bit by talking tough and to the point (and Rubio not repeating himself), Trump hurt himself slightly being off message, Kasich hurt himself a bit by being a bit too passive. Bush/Carson didn't really do anything to change their fate, but I think they are too far out of it in the polls for a debate to change that.

Looking forward to the field thinning some more after Super Tuesday so more focus can be on individual answers, like we're getting in the Demo debates. Let's get the Republican side down to Trump/Cruz/Rubio so they can really duke it out. No sense wasting more time listening to debate answers from guys that won't get 10% of the overall delegates.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    I don't really understand Trump's obsession with Jeb. Trump is way ahead and should be focusing on #2 Cruz. Jeb's campaign is barely hanging on and probably within a week of calling it quits. At best he'll ride things through Super Tuesday just on his own funds. If not for putting in a lot of his own money he'd likely have quit already. All bashing Jeb Bush does is alienate the Republican base, or at least the ones that think W wasn't that bad.
    Amazingly, Jeb is probably the establishment candidate he has to worry about. Cruz doesn't have a path to the nomination unless Trump leaves the race.

If Cruz can outlast Rubio and Jeb, he has a good chance.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a bit odd, from the results Google comes up with neither Trump or his company have ever gone bankrupt. The thing his opponents seem to be raving about is that four companies he owned shares in filed for reorganisation (usually referred to as administration in Europe) which does count as bankruptcy despite not resulting in liquidation. So while neither Trump or his company have ever gone bankrupt other companies he owns shares in have, but I don't think it's correct to say Trump has like Bush said.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    Trump is getting booed. I'm shocked.
    It's stocked with rabid GOP supporters, Trump isn't really liked by the GOP..

Bunch of rabid left wing idiots on here, not sure why I expected anything else.

Infracted- Political bashing is not allowed
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-02-14 at 05:32 AM.

It's a bit odd, from the results Google comes up with neither Trump or his company have ever gone bankrupt. The thing his opponents seem to be raving about is that four companies he owned shares in filed for reorganisation (usually referred to as administration in Europe) which does count as bankruptcy despite not resulting in liquidation. So while neither Trump or his company have ever gone bankrupt other companies he owns shares in have, but I don't think it's correct to say Trump has like Bush said.
    Here you go. And a reorganization is still a bankruptcy.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-bankruptcies/

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account

Yeah that's one of the sites I got the info from.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post

Oh look. Someone needs a hug.

It is still pretty serious. I mean it isn't straight liquidation of assets that you find in Chapter 7, but Chapter 11 is still pretty serious. Reorganization isn't just selling some computers and using the money to pay off debt. It is contacting creditors and telling them that you are incapable of paying off your debt on the terms you agreed and hoping they will restructure your deal with them under more favorable terms.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GOP doesn't want Cruz. The DNC is just waiting for a chance to Bengazi/Emailgate Cruz. You thought Republican Congress shut down the government, wait to see what happens if Cruz wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Theres probably some textbook definition that Trump is using to say he's never been bankrupt. We're in the age of the internet and public records in our palms, it would be awesome to see moderators call the candidates out on their BS. Maybe that would make habitually lying politicians more prone to telling the truth. They don't care if someone corrects them a week later because the general public no longer cares.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2016-02-14 at 05:03 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Seems like people don't understand the use of bankruptcy or reorganization being used to limit liability. If there weren't means of limiting liability, then every time a company went bankrupt it could pose a systematic risk where debt holders start going after anyone who owns equity.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post

Uh... do you really think it's cool to call people idiots for no reason?

Uh... do you really think it's cool to call people idiots for no reason?
    it is when you have nothing of substance to add to the conversation.