Page 45 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I think aftershocks is more of a golden artifact trait than blast furnace. That was probably their intention anyway. I hope they change blast furnace but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

7+ Year Old Account
    I liked the name Inferno Blast. I don't see why it needed to change back to Fire Blast.

Swapping Blast Furnace and Aftershocks was a bit lazy. We don't even use Flamestrike as part of our general core rotation nor is it ever used in single target. Having to spend thousands of points to spec into a major trait that is effectively useless for a lot of boss fights isn't too reassuring. Each of the other specs' major traits all affect core rotation spells or cooldowns, yet here we are with Aftershocks being semi-useless half the time. If Aftershocks affected IB as well then maybe it'd be more interesting. I'd much have preferred them to keep Blast Furnace and change it so something useful to Fire's core mechanics rather than situational AoE. I guess we'll see it ignored for another month or so before they listen to the feedback about it again.

I remember reading someone in Beta testing Aftershocks and saying that it wasn't too great. It was better output than Blast Furnace but it still was weak and needed a buff. At its current rate of damage it doesn't feel very powerful. Problem is they can't really buff it too much otherwise Fire will (perhaps too greatly) outperform other specs on AoE; although maybe that's their intention to keep Fire's AoE charm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothex View Post
    I liked the name Inferno Blast. I don't see why it needed to change back to Fire Blast.
    Because it was the spells original name. I think it got changed when it started spreading dots. Now that it no longer does that, it got changed back.

Arcane Rebound doesn't activate till there's at least three targets, and if they balance the numbers right, that should be about where Flamestrike becomes useful as well. Part of the problem with Aftershocks is it triggers its own separate spell for reduced damage, rather than a second full Flamestrike.

Another part of why Flamestrike isn't as useful is because Ignite spreads by itself so well, on top of taking Conflagration as a talent. If Ignite didn't spread on its own, or at least not as fast, an instant Flamestrike would be a lot more useful. Taking out or nerfing Ignite spreading would probably feel a little bad, but if its existence makes our core aoe ability useless, then removing the passive aoe would be the more reasonable option.

Deleted
    Swapping Blast Furnace and Aftershocks was a bit lazy. We don't even use Flamestrike as part of our general core rotation nor is it ever used in single target. Having to spend thousands of points to spec into a major trait that is effectively useless for a lot of boss fights isn't too reassuring. Each of the other specs' major traits all affect core rotation spells or cooldowns, yet here we are with Aftershocks being semi-useless half the time. .
    Without having done too much research, I don't think it is factually true that all other major traits are super interesting or interacts with single target rotation. Flamestrike is a part of fire aoe and you will be using it in pve. It even has use in pvp because of the slow and the interaction with hot streak.

I think there's a general expectation that all gold traits should be amazing and/or interact with their own prefered playstyle. Blizzards design currently seems to disagree with that though.

Quote Originally Posted by archtme View Post
    Without having done too much research, I don't think it is factually true that all other major traits are super interesting or interacts with single target rotation. Flamestrike is a part of fire aoe and you will be using it in pve. It even has use in pvp because of the slow and the interaction with hot streak.

I think there's a general expectation that all gold traits should be amazing and/or interact with their own prefered playstyle. Blizzards design currently seems to disagree with that though.
    Also, when it comes into play (which i agree it may not be too often) it will be pretty nice to have... I have seen the thing crit for over 120k which for a mass AoE is nothing to sneeze at... Adding one explosion after every cast is gonna make it insane powerful, probably making up for the long cast time.

Aftershocks isnt really all that powerful, I can see where people might think it is based off of the tool tip. but... well see Komma's post about it, doesnt seem to have changed from last build https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...p=22503#p22503

Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    Aftershocks isnt really all that powerful, I can see where people might think it is based off of the tool tip. but... well see Komma's post about it, doesnt seem to have changed from last build https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...p=22503#p22503
    Ouch... it seems i was mistaken then!

I mean... it's still a buff to a rather lackluster spell... But yeah it's kinda meh.

Would it be better if it provided a buff of, say, an 8 seconds duration after each Flamestrike cast (wether via Hotstreak or not) that increases its damage by 25% per stack?

That way it would give more reason to spend those procs onto Flamestrike...

Deleted
    Aftershocks is really situational. However, the extra pillar of fire is nice nice and flashy (probably, I'm not on the beta), so it looks like a Golden Trait. There could be some sort of tweak that makes it more powerful and/or more worthwhile in a single target situation. It could be cool if the trait also added the same effect as the Archimonde trinket; chance of a flamestrike on Inferno Blast casts, so it affects Single Target a bit.
    Last edited by mmoc2462126d54; 2016-06-22 at 10:05 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    Komma's post about it, doesnt seem to have changed from last build https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...p=22503#p22503
    Quote Originally Posted by The Archmage View Post
    Ouch
    I don't see komma saying that it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    I don't see komma saying that it's bad.
    It's still way worse than i thought, since i actually interpreted it as an additional Flamestrike automatically casted on the same location instantly... which is not the case in both departments (damage is way lower and a 2,5 seconds' delay is definetly worse that immediate damage, since potential targets can meanwhile die or move out)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Archmage View Post
    It's still way worse than i thought, since i actually interpreted it as an additional Flamestrike automatically casted on the same location instantly... which is not the case in both departments (damage is way lower and a 2,5 seconds' delay is definetly worse that immediate damage, since potential targets can meanwhile die or move out)
    Heh, it seems someone designed the spell and someone else designed the tooltip. They could just type "Flamestrike causes Aftershocks each time it is cast". Besides, they are aftershocks, they should happen after the main earthquake:P

Quote Originally Posted by Scyclone View Post
    I've been curious on the mechanics of Fire with the stat/ability changes of Legion.

What seems to be the most optimal stats for maximizing fires potential?

I tried out several combinations, but couldn't come up with anything very conclusive. I do feel like going heavy heavy crit may in fact not be worth it due to the mechanical changes.

Anyone come up with some adequate testing or sims so far as to a solid stat priority/weighting?
    Bump for great justice? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

Deleted
    Bump for great justice? :P
    You are asking stuff that is the area of fine-tuning. It's too early for fine-tuning, not even the simcraft scripts or code are done yet. Also you are obviously exaggerating the importance of stats potency since you can not conclude on anything stat-related in this game by just testing on your own with a few pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
    You are asking stuff that is the area of fine-tuning. It's too early for fine-tuning, not even the simcraft scripts or code are done yet. Also you are obviously exaggerating the importance of stats potency since you can not conclude on anything stat-related in this game by just testing on your own with a few pulls.
    I'd say fine tuning isn't too far off from being complete. Remember, the pre-patch is most likely 1 month off give or take a week at this point from going live. Which also means theres that month to month and a half period of trying to get a feel for things. The tweaks we are seeing now are minimal twists here and there, not so much things as radical as +100% more spell power added, etc. (That said, Frost seems to be getting some major changes to it, though Fire hasn't really been touched all that much lately besides retooling our ignite/fireblast mechanics slightly)

That having been said, there should be a general consensus and feel as to what stats are looking to be more beneficial at this point. The relevance is simple, it gives one an opportunity to prepare gear for that in order to make the prepatch more worthwhile and to make the leveling process in legion faster. I am not looking for specific stat weights, and to your point, we cannot go by them just yet. But I highly doubt versatility will magically replace crit as a high valued stat at the moment. I am looking more from the perspective of what seems to be a solid balance to look towards or should it be more beneficial to full tilt to a stat amongst Haste, Crit and Mastery.
    Last edited by Scyclone; 2016-06-22 at 01:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich
    Liberals are against discrimination, except when it coincides with their own personal hatreds. .
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor
    Yah because I'm stroking my evil lapcat while sitting in my Ivory tower of oppression built on the skulls of those less fortunate.

Inferno Blast only needed to exist as a spell name when frost and arcane still had access to Fire Blast - since Fire Blast was pruned from those specs in WoD already, there is nothing to differentiate the fire specific version from

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    Inferno Blast only needed to exist as a spell name when frost and arcane still had access to Fire Blast - since Fire Blast was pruned from those specs in WoD already, there is nothing to differentiate the fire specific version from
    Plus, it was its name anyway!

All hail the return of the king of instants :P

Deleted
    there should be a general consensus and feel as to what stats are looking to be more beneficial at this point.
    Theorycrafting on this game is not easy to be done by feel or intuition alone. I have seen some of the smartest theorycrafters around fail to be correct after they confirm what is going on with simcraft (assuming simcraft is coded correctly, but it's hard to go wrong at that compared to going wrong with intuition or formulation).

I'll give you a simple example. Say that you see a passive giving crit a much higher value. Now, one might say "oh, I should definitely get more crit". But, that is not a sure thing, because you may be capping crit depended on how the spec works.

I'm actually happy it was changed to its original name. Inferno Blast never sounded as fiery to me as Fire Blast.

Deleted
    I agree, inferno is an unnecessarily kinky word.