Page 71 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osanger View Post
    Im wondering if CS will still be better until we get enough crit to reduce combustion to a cd that makes holding onto flame on more optimal. Thinking about 1min, since holding onto flame on for 15s is far more acceptable than holding onto combustion for the same amount of time. Since currently if i use FO on cd then i want it for comb so end up waiting, but still not using FO doesn't seem right either. It's quite annoying how kindling de-syncs atm, but then with more crit it may re-sync is what i'm thinking.

EDIT: I wonder also if because of this crit could have a sort of soft cap i.e you get your crit to a certain level so that combustion comes off cooldown with kindling between 45s-55s and then stack other stats, since if you take it past there it de-syncs and you are again waiting on FO coming off cooldown to burst with Comb.

Need a math/sim opinion on this!!!
    with more crit kindling will definately sync combustion and FO a lot more but you wont use FO every time its off cd, only to maintain your crit streak and with FB having a short cd in itself and you have phoenix flame as well, so you have several tools to extend your crit streak without having to even use FO atleast thats my take on it.

well the softcap for crit is something like 77% crit due to critical mass as that will give your fireball and pyro a 100% to cri and im already sitting at 50% crit in ilvl 835 gear on my mage on beta, could prolly reach 52-54% in fully optimized gear, reaching 77% doesnt seem too far off.
    Last edited by mmoca748dddcc2; 2016-08-05 at 03:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    well the softcap for crit is something like 77% crit due to critical mass as that will give your fireball and pyro a 100% to cri and im already sitting at 50% crit in ilvl 835 gear on my mage on beta, could prolly reach 52-54% in fully optimized gear, reaching 77% doesnt seem too far off.
    Ahhhh yeah, great point, totally forgot to think about the crit mass soft cap, i would wager that at 77% crit combustion and FO will line up pretty nicely, which doesn't seem too far off at all if thats what your at in 835 gear, pretty sweet!!

Deleted
    Ahhhh yeah, great point, totally forgot to think about the crit mass soft cap, i would wager that at 77% crit combustion and FO will line up pretty nicely, which doesn't seem too far off at all if thats what your at in 835 gear, pretty sweet!!
    i was actually sitting at 51% crit but i changed an ilvl 825 ring with 1100ish crit and 500ish versatily(i keep getting crap gear with versatility, every piece that i get that is titanforged has versatility) with the ilvl 850 dalaran ring which caused me to loose about 1,5% crit and i have several pieces of gear with mastery and crit that has more mastery than crit like 450 mastery and 250 crit, so i would prolly say that with luck and optimally itemized gear(gear with more crit than mastery for the most part) you should fairly easy be able to sit at around 55% crit but we also need to remember that the raid gear we get might not be optimized, like t19 pieces without crit etc. which will bring our crit chance down.

Are the profession trinkets worth crafting in Legion ? (inscription/alchemy)

At one point I know the Dark Moon trinket was ridiculous but I heard that it was nerfed pretty bad.

Deleted
    Can anyone tell me how Fire Mage Mastery is supposed to work?

I am leveling mage and just got it at 78. It says it should be doing 6% of my fireball damage over 9 seconds, but instead it does 1-2 damage per tick. My Fireballs at the moment hit for around 1100 dmg. I don't see how that translates into ticks of 2 damage.

What am I doing wrong?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nheela View Post
    Can anyone tell me how Fire Mage Mastery is supposed to work?

I am leveling mage and just got it at 78. It says it should be doing 6% of my fireball damage over 9 seconds, but instead it does 1-2 damage per tick. My Fireballs at the moment hit for around 1100 dmg. I don't see how that translates into ticks of 2 damage.

What am I doing wrong?
    That is odd, you should be getting around 7 per tick from (6%*1100)/9. Could be that you only get a proportion of your sheet stats mastery at your level, increasing as you go, i dunno tbh.

If no one else can shed any light on this probably worth submitting a bug report.

That is odd, you should be getting around 7 per tick from (6%*1100)/9. Could be that you only get a proportion of your sheet stats mastery at your level, increasing as you go, i dunno tbh.

If no one else can shed any light on this probably worth submitting a bug report.
    They aren't just casting Fireball, remember Fire Blast, Scorch and Pyro also cause ignite and that ignite is refreshed each time, taking what was remaining and adding it to the just created ignite to make a new ignite that ticks for 9 secs.

They can easily test by casting one fireball at a dummy and doing nothing else. Should see an 1100 fireball tick for 7.33.

Deleted
    On what target is that? It's an odd report. It doesn't happen to others.

Deleted
    Seems like the mastery is bugged for sub 80. Once I dinged 80 it started doing damage.

But the refresh is very weird. It's supposed to add up, but sometimes it doesn't. Like it would tick for 100, then I would hit a pyroblast critical and it would go down to 70 per tick.

I'm not sure the mastery is working properly at all, which will be a bummer once Legion hits.

I've seen people talking about using Cinderstorm on ST, but Cinderstorms ST damage is pathetic on live. I was hoping I would be able to use this instead of Kindling. Am I missing something, or does the spell become more usable at 110?

Deleted
    Ah, there is no mastery before level 80 at all (it was cataclysm's "new thing").

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LordAmbrosia View Post
    Cinderstorms ST damage is pathetic on live.
    It's very strong if you hit the target with all 6 cinders.
    Last edited by mmocdc260e8e2a; 2016-08-10 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curnivore View Post
    It's very strong if you hit the target will all 6 cinders.
    Won't all 6 cinders always hit if there's only one target? Do they miss somehow? Maybe I just don't know how the spell works but I saw nothing about it anywhere.

Deleted
    Won't all 6 cinders always hit if there's only one target? Do they miss somehow? Maybe I just don't know how the spell works but I saw nothing about it anywhere.
    It follows a psychotic pattern but they always converge at a single point that exists on average 31 yards in front of the mage. So the mage can either stack on the target, or be ~31 yards away from it and face straight or have a boss with a gigantic hitbox that gets hit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Curnivore View Post
    It follows a psychotic pattern but they always converge at a single point that exists on average 31 yards in front of the mage. So the mage can either stack on the target, or be ~31 yards away from it and face straight or have a boss with a gigantic hitbox that gets hit anyway.
    Ok thanks that's useful to know, I haven't seen anyone mention that anywhere, though I admit I didn't dig through these 70 pages. Im sure theres some kind of range mod that can show me the optimal distance to use it from.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gallamann View Post
    They aren't just casting Fireball, remember Fire Blast, Scorch and Pyro also cause ignite and that ignite is refreshed each time, taking what was remaining and adding it to the just created ignite to make a new ignite that ticks for 9 secs.

They can easily test by casting one fireball at a dummy and doing nothing else. Should see an 1100 fireball tick for 7.33.
    I'm well aware of that mate, the OP was asking about just fireball because the mastery was not working out correctly for that one cast. Adding other damage into the mix just is unnecessary since the root problem, is mastery seems bugged at that level.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go mate have a read of that thread, Komma does an awesome job of explaining Cinderstorm.

https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...hp?f=27&t=2533

I've seen people talking about using Cinderstorm on ST, but Cinderstorms ST damage is pathetic on live. I was hoping I would be able to use this instead of Kindling. Am I missing something, or does the spell become more usable at 110?
    Each Cinder does 65% of SP, 84.5% if ignited (which they should be). 6 of those translates to over 500% SP, which is more than Pyro.

So yeah, it's very potent, even on ST if you can hit 4+ cinders.

Cinderstorm is something you use for fights where you know you won't get that much of a benefit out of Kindling (or any at all), like for example in 5-man dungeons. On a raid boss you can just Combustion on CD pretty much, but you wouldn't just do that during dungeon trash - you save Combustion for bosses there and even with Kindling you'll very rarely get a 2nd off during a dungeon boss fight.

Depend on what kind of 5-man you are talking about. If it is heroic or regular mythic, yeah.

However, you will really appreciate Kindling in Mythic+. Because in there, trash is as hard as boss (sometime even more so). Having an extremely short cd burst is invaluable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Cinderstorm is something you use for fights where you know you won't get that much of a benefit out of Kindling (or any at all), like for example in 5-man dungeons. On a raid boss you can just Combustion on CD pretty much, but you wouldn't just do that during dungeon trash - you save Combustion for bosses there and even with Kindling you'll very rarely get a 2nd off during a dungeon boss fight.
    also you need to be very careful cinderstorm or you might end up pulling a lot of extra mobs during dungeons. cinderstorm can be as bad if not worse than barrage in dungeons, you really need to position yourself well when using cinderstorm. there are definately some dungeons where you wouldnt use cinderstorm simply due to the dangers of pulling extra trash.

Quote Originally Posted by almara2512 View Post
    also you need to be very careful cinderstorm or you might end up pulling a lot of extra mobs during dungeons. cinderstorm can be as bad if not worse than barrage in dungeons, you really need to position yourself well when using cinderstorm. there are definately some dungeons where you wouldnt use cinderstorm simply due to the dangers of pulling extra trash.
    While this is absolutely true, Cinderstorm is not that hard to aim with a little practice. It has a very distinct path, and once you play with it for a while you'll be able to place it quite accurately most of the time.