Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Tennisace, do you really get your rocks off with this stuff? Having groups for men and young men more importantly is a great thing to have. Why the fuck would you deny people the right to join and discuss problems and connect with others about problems they face?? I seriously don't what the fuck is wrong with your head. You must be one of the most dedicated trolls on the internet today.

Why should Men's issues not get fixed? Does this in any way harm woman if men discuss and try to fix the problems they face?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skaiz View Post
    Tennisace, do you really get your rocks off with this stuff? Having groups for men and young men more importantly is a great thing to have. Why the fuck would you deny people the right to join and discuss problems and connect with others about problems they face?? I seriously don't what the fuck is wrong with your head. You must be one of the most dedicated trolls on the internet today.
    you leave tennisace alone. he is fighting for equality here.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Oh my god.... The cucks are coming out of the woodwork!

seriously, with all those mens issues groups and mens rights movements under attack by pro-radfem people, I don't even feel the need to put on my surprised face.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    do they think its going to be bunch of guys getting together and discuss how to rape women?
    Yes. In the feminist mindset this is the only thing males are capable of and want to do. We need these little meetups to plan the next step of the patriarchy. Didn't you get the memo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://theeyeopener.com/2016/01/mens...-get-ratified/

I keep reading online about how important "men's issues" are but you have to wonder if this really is the case.
    I think this exact situation shows that men's issues are extremely important. Just what you have bolded really shows how these issues are being ignored.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://theeyeopener.com/2016/01/mens...-get-ratified/

I keep reading online about how important "men's issues" are but you have to wonder if this really is the case.
    I am kind of confused as to what MIAS is supposed to really be, is this one of those things like well if there is a student minority group, for one gender there has to be the same thing for another like a Anti-Woman, Anti-Feminist hate group?

Cause if so I can see why it got rejected and good on the university.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I am kind of confused as to what MIAS is supposed to really be, is this one of those things like well if there is a student minority group, for one gender there has to be the same thing for another like a Anti-Woman, Anti-Feminist hate group?

Cause if so I can see why it got rejected and good on the university.
    Men's issues at the college level tend to be about mental health. At the moment theres less access to help for depression if you are a male. In addition there is a lot more stigma attached to it. I would assume that this group would offer support and encourage one to seek out help.

The people on these councils, especially at schools, are a self selecting group with a heavy ideological slant. Normal people are too busy studying, having a good time, and planning their future to care about getting on these committees. Is it surprising that these councils would reject anything that doesn't fit into the alternative reality they live in? Not at all.

Valuing and protecting women is not sexism. That's really inconsiderate.
    Are women in need of protecting? Are men not? I thought this whole new age movement was for equality for all?

That's what's really inconsiderate: the hypocrisy of it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not an MRA but why is this acceptable? I think men's clubs and women's clubs should be allowed, and it's not even excluding women. Is this another case of feminists being hypocritical ideologues rather than people who want equality? Nut this is why I consider myself a humanist or egalitarian rather than a feminist or MRA. I refuse to look at the issue of equality through one lens and one gender's perspective. In the west it seems like the sexes are already pretty equal with each facing its own smaller issues.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Just because women have anti men groups doesn't mean all men want to stoop to that level.

Jotaux, I presume mental health would have a major place in such a group- mental health problems for everyone is bad, and there is stigma attached to it no matter who you are. However let us not pretend that the stigma isn't more for men, nor that it is more difficult for men to access mental health services (often due to said stigma), and that suicide is one of the biggest killers of young men. Even the Guardian- http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...n-male-suicide , didn't make a non issue out of it. Whilst this is for the UK, as far as I am aware, in the Western world, there is a similar picture.

Now, I am not for making suicide a "male" issue, like feminists like to do with certain things (which aren't exclusively impacting on women), but part of suicide prevention strategy needs to have a male focused branch of the overall one- and men's groups can have a place in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also the subtle bigotry of assuming a group focused on the issues of boys and men will injerently be secost and dangerous to women. Yeah feminists you're really not helping your man-hating image at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stormgust View Post
    Isn't assuming that women need your protectiong, instead of being able to defend themselves actually sexism?

You're doing just that by making a decision for them though.

Somehow paternalism equals empowerment in 2016.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they were indeed egalitarian it's a shame as men/teenagers do face issues that are usually brushed off and it can lead to very bad situations.

One of the fundamental ones being: how to deal with being gay and accepting it, especially if you're from a religious or very conservative environment.

There's a bunch more that span from very antiquated societal values too and that we need to work on to resolve insecurities that only serve to hinder progress on these fronts. Hell, if anything, helping men/boys with those issues would only facilitate the resolution of the larger gender relations issues we face today.

From what I've seen before though... such movements start off with a narrative and it shifts rapidly into an echo chamber (look to the Alberta MRA movements for instance) of hateful purposes, losing sight of the actually positive one they had before - or could have had.

Having dealt with college and university bureaucracy before though, it's rarely pleasant.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread derailed quickly away from what the discussion was about

This is dumb of that college, the guys were not going to start it to sit around talking about oh hey guys did you know this one girl at this school is such a slut lets assault her. If they wanted to do that they would not approach the college to start a group.

Men have plenty of issues they can't even find an outlet to discuss. Its not uncommon for a guy to just never discuss stuff since you might not even have a family that is that easy to talk to or maybe you are the only boy in the family and Dad is an ass about sharing emotions. Friends are not much easier if you did not get lucky to have friends who would listen Men can end up bottling up shit for many years. It is in no way protecting women if the type of men who want to hurt them are there they wouldn't need a college accepted group to discuss shit and if its because the women want to be special butterflies by being the ones with groups dedicated to them then that is pretty sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Men's issues at the college level tend to be about mental health. At the moment theres less access to help for depression if you are a male. In addition there is a lot more stigma attached to it. I would assume that this group would offer support and encourage one to seek out help.
    Well if that is really what MIAS is all about, I hope this gets reviewed and they get chance to show that.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    Let me just start with this: denying MRA groups the right to congregate, while allowing feminist groups the same right - is sexism.

With that said, I think there is a real risk with groups like MRA (and feminism, to a lesser extent, because it is a more mature movement) for becoming an echo chamber of bigotry and hate - in which the rhetoric and mythology of male oppression plays telephone tag around the group - until a narrative coalesces which is wholly distinct from reality.

It is easy for such groups to convince themselves that inequality toward women is a myth - solely because they too now experience inequality (and men do, which deserves to be talked about).

You must allow them to meet and talk, and only then can you defeat their ideas in debate. I think it would be healthy for both feminists and MRA groups to get together and debate regularly: to kill the echo effect of either group.

So make it a condition of the group that once a month, they have to debate Ryerson's feminist collective. Civil discourse will only benefit both sides - and move both toward a truer, humanist, position. Both sides want to discuss inequality, and that's great, inequality does exist toward both genders - but framing inequality as though it was gender-unique is fundamentally untrue.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well if that is really what MIAS is all about, I hope this gets reviewed and they get chance to show that.
    I doubt it, everyone with authority walks on eggshells because a misstep could cost you your job.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the issue is so much that males do not have issues in society, it's what the group is going to look like while discussing it. I mean, if you just look at a forum about the issue, there's some pretty scary things thrown around. A lot of the time, when I see anything about MRM things, they're formed by a group created in response to radical, third wave feminism; they are creating an exclusive group to fight against the exclusive nature of some feminist collaborations. They are not attempting to help men, they are screaming "what about us?" to women.

So yes, men's issues are important, but is this group really going to be about helping men or about fighting women? If you ask what the difference is, you're on the wrong side of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    L
    You must allow them to meet and talk, and only then can you defeat their ideas in debate. I think it would be healthy for both feminists and MRA groups to get together and debate regularly: to kill the echo effect of either group.

So make it a condition of the group that once a month, they have to debate Ryerson's feminist collective. Civil discourse will only benefit both sides - and move both toward a truer, humanist, position. Both sides want to discuss inequality, and that's great, inequality does exist toward both genders - but framing inequality as though it was gender-unique is fundamentally untrue.
    There is no way this would work out and in a months time there would be cries of misogyny. A little time after that the mens group would be shut down.