Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenseiei View Post
    What are u even saying, TBC had no beta for players to see the content. Everything was nondisclosure until release rofl. I'm not even sure that non blizzard employees even got their hands on access then. WotlK they gave them only with blizzcon right? .
    Did you not even think of typing in 'TBC beta' into youtube to see if these random thoughts you have have any basis in reality? I even still have videos myself from Wrath beta (the first one I started recording for) and I've been nowhere near California.

I purposefully limit the amount of spoilers etc I indulge in during testing and mostly stick to class design and raid testing, and I ran out of content to do in wod in about a month or two.

The pacing and structure of the content in wod was just done in a way where you get through it very quickly. Avoiding spoilers doesn't change that.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    I avoided everything during WoD alpha and beta and still it was the worst expansion I've played.

Also it's fucking amazing that people like you get access to Legion alpha but don't play it, when people like me who wants to test it - don't get the access.
    How is that amazing?
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Deleted
    Been playing since beta pre vanilla, and I watched all spoilers etc on every expansion- and guess what? Never got burned out ...
    To me, I find things to look forward to experience first hand- all the cool stuff. I primarily play for pvp /wpvp , and don't have the time to raid anymore (kids, wife, fulltime job) and face it, LFR just don't give the same feeling as raiding does.
    So I don't have a lot of time to play, but I still enjoy it- and if I had to rely only on ingame info/ story/ etc, I might miss something of what is going on and why it is important to kill X, and the reason Y is doing what he \ she does.

Well, I never cared that much about lore or the story in general, so naturally I didn't bothered with any WoD spoilers and yet the content was over for me after 2-3 month. it didn't happen even during mists.

no.I got burnt out after 2 weeks because the content was the worst ever on launch not because I knew the cinematic. I couldn't face logging in just to garrison then log out for most of the week and I'm someone who had a max level of each class at the end of the last expansion with max professions. Picking crap up off the floor is not engaging gameplay no matter how much "exploration" you attribute to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allenseiei View Post
    WotlK they gave them only with blizzcon right? I think it had a nondisclosure agreement too. .
    no completely wrong. I was in the WOTLK beta and didnt go to blizzcon. Once public closed beta is out blizzard usually have an open policy. They usually aren't even that fussy about wider alpha access(youtubers, streamers etc) being shown on streams or videos.

I avoid all spoilers every expansion and I still think WOD is crap

Deleted
    Garrosh dies.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    It is YOUR fault if you keep watching spoilers and yell around the month after Legion comes out -- "God, this expansion is fuckin' boring!". It happens everytime. I've seen it with MoP and Warlords. Stop watching datamined content and seize the moment of mystery and anxiety when the game actually comes out. .
    I played in the betas for Vanilla, BC and Cata. I watched and read all of the spoilers I could for WotLK and MoP (WoD too, but I lucked out on realizing that it was not going to be a worthwhile expansion and just skip it). I saw nearly all of the launch content before it launched and Vanilla to Cata were still extremely satisfying at launch. Cata only started to suck for the same reasons WoD did, after launch there was little content support to help it along. Granted WoD is the poster child of lack of post-launch support and extreme mismanagement of resources at this point, but the reasons for the problem are the same. Spoilers for launch content mean nothing as to if the game is going to be fun and enjoyable, spoilers for each content patch mean nothing. If the game is unenjoyable and lacks a variety of things to do at level cap, then it's going to suck. I leveled so many alts up through Vanilla to Cata. I played the same content over and over again, I knew exactly what was going to happen, yet I still enjoyed every moment of it. Every Wrathgate experience and Siege on the Undercity was amazing.
    Places like, Skettis, Sunwell Isle, Molten Front and Thunder Isle are great for the game, and tossing in new 5-mans every content patch is useful too. You can't just toss in a wing of a raid each content patch and expect everything to go well. That may help a few people for a few weeks, maybe a month, but after that the shiny of the raid wears off and the stuff to do outside of raids is what is important. If farming raids in and of itself was fun, everyone would just get a full tier set after a full first clear and then keep coming back week after week because they wanted to, but that is not the case. Raids are a means to an end, farming gear is a means to an end. There has to be a meaningful end constantly being added into the world or the gear treadmill doesn't work.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

I might spoil myself....but....even though i've seen it millions of times...IT STILL GETS ME! Not just that it gets me...it gets me so much that I have the same reaction everytime ever since I first saw it. Just because people spoil themselves, does NOT mean they'll find it boring after a short while

WoD was boring because there wasn't enough content. Had fuck all to do with spoilers.

For me, I have alpha, sure Ik a few things that are gonna happen but guess what? I stopped playing it.
    You are 100% not the kind of person that should be in a beta, let alone the alpha then. You contribute absolutely nothing by not playing and testing things.

Beyond just that, spoilers don't mean a thing. I read the spoilers for WoW all the way through WotLK, and had an incredibly fun time of it anyway. Hell, I was a beta tester in WotLK, in which I pushed hard to see and do everything to help look for bugs and balance issues. At the end of the day, I still had fun because there was tons to do.

Sure, there are some people that might go, "Oh, I've seen this before so it is boring to actually play it." You know what else causes boredom though? A complete lack of content, which was 100% Blizzard's fault. It's been that way for a while now, but WoD was the cream of the crop in terms of complete and utter incompetence and lack of anything to do. No amount of spoilers prepared anyone for just how little WoD offered in terms of actual content, let alone fun and repeatable content. The fault there lies entirely on Blizzard.

So for those wanting to see Legion spoilers, go for it. Even knowing that Person A kills Person B doesn't really spoil much without actually seeing it play out over the course of however long that takes.

I haven't been in touch with Legion news at all, hoping to keep it that way till I get to play the game myself. It didn't help me to enjoy WoD more though, it was just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post

OT: The people on these forums are a really small subset of players and most of the players will have no knowledge of the next expansion until it hits. Your premise is wrong and so is your conclusion. People didn't get burned out because they knew what would happen. Best guess is they got burned out because there's little to do outside of raiding and raiding is boring.
    Can I also point out that no matter how good the trailers and cutscenes are, they are not replacements for good and plentiful gameplay and content. Spoilers did not ruin WoD, bad design and cutting corners and content did that.

WoD didn't suck because I "spoiled" the zone story for myself. WoD sucked because after you hit 100 and maxed out your dungeon gear, the ONLY meaningful content was raiding. So any days I didn't have a raid, I had nothing meaningful to do but old world content. That is just sad on Blizzard's part. They spent far too much time on garrisons and not enough time on the content that matters: world content.

Legion is looking to be full of actual meaningful world content, along with better professions and challenge mode dungeons offering more of a replayability. In it's current state, I can already tell it you it's at least two times better than WoD could have hoped to be.

The storytelling in WoD was top notch. It was never the "spoiled story" that disappointed me. It was everything else.

7+ Year Old Account
    For me, I have alpha, sure Ik a few things that are gonna happen but guess what? I stopped playing it.
    what? are you kidding?
    really, thanks theramore for wasting an alpha invite.
    if you didn't want to get spoiled you shouldn't have opted in.
    i cant believe they wasted an alpha invite on you, there are people out there who would love to get an invite to actually test the game and give feedback.
    and you just went "booohooo! i don't want to get spoiled!"

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    I avoided spoilers this time so far. I have no idea how the zones look like and what the storylines are. I read some stuff about class changes & artefact intros though.

In WoD, I knew everything there was to know at launch and it arguably was less fun than discovering the stuff ingame on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    what? are you kidding?
    really, thanks theramore for wasting an alpha invite.
    if you didn't want to get spoiled you shouldn't have opted in.
    i cant believe they wasted an alpha invite on you, there are people out there who would love to get an invite to actually test the game and give feedback.
    and you just went "booohooo! i don't want to get spoiled!"
    Likely a lie lol

Alpha/Beta is the best time to learn the story, because on launch you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to be rushing through the leveling to get my characters leveled and start preparing for when the raids unlock.
    Frequent Poster on Fluid Druid, The best Feral community out there

My Character

Spoilers are love, spoilers are life.

I agree with the OP, except I'm not buying into another WoD. I'm not paying for Legion until I've played Alpha/Beta to see if the content will even last. So I'll continue to find out what happens like I have every expansion prior.