Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't think so, we've got muslim "ghettos" where you get assaulted if youre white/non muslim. They don't want to assimilate, they want us to assimilate to them. We changed the "christmas market" to "winter market" for them. Slaughtering an animal without anasthesia here is illegal get they keep trying to get their way. They always want their way and usually get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo Foo Cuddlypoops View Post
    This might be true as well. Has any group of immigrants completely assimilated?
    Kind of? Sometimes in history we see it with the survivors of cultures that have been entirely wiped out and subsumed into larger powers, but that's not exactly a good thing. Basically you're just talking about a culture being wiped out with some survivors remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah that's basically my expectation given historical immigration trends. You'll have more minarets and falafel but things will be pretty much the same.

My concern is that some people seem to view assimilation as "indistinguishable from the native culture" and I don't think that's either reasonable or desirable.
    Yep. The Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese immigrated to the US and assimilated, but influenced the culture of America.

California Rolls. Orange chicken. Fortune cookies.

All those are American, but we wouldn't have them if they weren't created/influenced by East Asian peoples.

No, you have to force them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the most reasonable goal is "functions happily and productively in the native society at a population level".
    Many Arabs in Europe have been doing that for centuries.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Yep. The Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese immigrated to the US and assimilated, but influenced the culture of America.

California Rolls. Orange chicken. Fortune cookies.

All those are American, but we wouldn't have them if they weren't created/influenced by East Asian peoples.
    Its a healthy thing. Systems shouldn't be too homogeneous or too stagnant.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Many Arabs in Europe have been doing that for centuries.
    Yup!

Now that I think about it why should they assimilate shouldn't they be going back to their home country once the conflict is over?
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    I don't think so, we've got muslim "ghettos" where you get assaulted if youre white/non muslim. They don't want to assimilate, they want us to assimilate to them. We changed the "christmas market" to "winter market" for them. Slaughtering an animal without anasthesia here is illegal get they keep trying to get their way. They always want their way and usually get it.
    Well then destroy the ghettos. Surely there's more of the native population than them? Can they not be dispersed throughout the country and be made to abide by the countries rules and culture (humanely and civilised of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    No, you have to force them.
    "Forced cultural assimilation" seems like kind of an oxymoron to me.

They never will. A central tenet of Islam is how it is "objectively" superior to all else.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phitness View Post
    Now that I think about it why should they assimilate shouldn't they be going back to their home country once the conflict is over?
    Suppose they could but if they become productive members of that society they should have a right to citizenship and the choice to say imo.

They're only a couple thousand years behind as far as their views of women and people who are not muslims go.
    I don't see why they couldn't assimilate.
    [Kawaii c@girl IRL]

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    They never will. A central tenet of Islam is how it is "objectively" superior to all else.
    Every culture thinks its the best one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sosoulsu View Post
    They're only a couple thousand years behind as far as their views of women and people who are not muslims go.
    I don't see why they couldn't assimilate.
    Dude, try like 50. The West is better on things like minority rights, but let's not pretend we have been for long.

Well that's the thing about refugees, a lot of times a good amount of them do not leave.

Refugees to America from the Vietnam War/Communist Vietnam for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Well then destroy the ghettos. Surely there's more of the native population than them? Can they not be dispersed throughout the country and be made to abide by the countries rules and culture (humanely and civilised of course)?
    Can't destroy them as they will cry racism. They don't abide to our rules at all just look at the paris attacks, they came from my country and everyone knew that the place they were from was a no go zone, yet no one does anything about it. They don't learn our language, they have no respect for women, they commit a ton of crimes (our jails are full of them) and even had a group trying to implement sharia law here.

Mars culture > Earth Culture
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

"Forced cultural assimilation" seems like kind of an oxymoron to me.
    Just kick them out if they don't do as they should.

And how many cultures is that attitude considered negative?

Just the one that I can think of.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Well the problem with muslims not "be like us" is that their values and completely in conflict with western values. They just dont fit in western culture at all. Think of westerners going to Saudi Arabia and going about as if they were still in a western country, probly would end up being beheaded.
    The problem is the West feels it's so morally superior to the East, when they're doing the exact same thing. Sure they might not be beheading the immigrants, but ostracizing, belittling, and beating them is no better. Arguably, it's actually worse. You only die once.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    The problem is the West feels it's so morally superior to the East, when they're doing the exact same thing. Sure they might not be beheading the immigrants, but ostracizing, belittling, and beating them is no better. Arguably, it's actually worse. You only die once.
    ..they follow the ramblings of a guy who had sex with a 9 year old. They dress their women in tents and kill animals even more horrible than the west