Thread: income tax

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

income tax

It's that time of year again for people to get their tax returns in the US. What will you guys be doing with yours? I haven't gotten mine yest but depending on what I get will prob get my front tooth fixed, get a new tattoo and pay bills with the rest.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Already got mine... I'm thinking new gutters! Or something equally exciting.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Got mine. Used it to buy a 2TB SSD and a GTX 980

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont get one because I dont give the government an interest free loan for the whole year. If people adjusted their W-4s properly they would get the proper amount of taxes withheld from their checks (not including the people who unfairly get back more than they paid in through the damn EIT credits), and wouldnt get a refund

I usually have to pay a couple thousand. at $3,000 you have to start paying installments so I keep it below that.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont get one because I dont give the government an interest free loan for the whole year. If people adjusted their W-4s properly they would get the proper amount of taxes withheld from their checks (not including the people who unfairly get back more than they paid in through the damn EIT credits), and wouldnt get a refund
    Yep, 4 years now without a return. I'm usually a smidgen under and end up paying ~$100 in state taxes. Almost always my federal withholdings are perfect and result in $0. Haven't done mine yet, as I have to fill out more than the usual person (damned HSA - 1099-SA, 5498-SA, 8889 forms suck).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm getting back around $20. So... Eating lunch I guess.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    The wife and I are going to Barcelona.

Tax time in Canada as well. Going to Rome in May so putting it away for spending money on our trip.

Im on a contract and i get paid through a stipend. Its really weird. They dont take taxes out and i have to put a couple thousand every month into a seperate account to keep track of it. I pay the minimum fee every quarter to avoid fines. When taxes come, i figure it all out and pay from that separate account. i usually put too much in that account so i usually get a 3-4k "bonus" during tax times.

Also fuck maryland. If you get a tax return, they count that as income and they tax you on it next year. So they are double taxing you. Its criminal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bought a new computer, new sound system, new bed set and paid off a bunch of bills.
    Good stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather have the lump sum at the end of the year.

I am on disability so no income tax for me. But the GF is putting it on our credit card to help pay it off.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Bought a new computer, new sound system, new bed set and paid off a bunch of bills.
    Good stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather have the lump sum at the end of the year.
    You could save the extra each paycheck yourself and earn interest on it instead of letting the government hold it and give you no interest

Question: Why is it a bad thing that the government uses that money for a loan? I mean honestly, who cares? I personally love getting an awesome check once a year (I pay alot in taxes b/c of my overtime) instead of getting a few more dollars in each of my bi-weekly checks. Obviously the government would benefit in some way from doing this, which is going to help SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE.

I get (at most) a few dollars in interest every year from my bank. It's not as if we're giving them oceans of money they shouldn't have.

I have to pay this year. At least it's only $1900...

10+ Year Old Account
    You could save the extra each paycheck yourself and earn interest on it instead of letting the government hold it and give you no interest
    While technically smarter, most people:

a) suck at saving
    b) wouldn't be putting it in an interest bearing account anyway
    c) like the simplicity of having an automated saving scheme that they don't have to think about do their saving for them. You can set these up, but it's generally easier to just claim less on your W-4 than you're entitled to.

This isn't something I do, but it's something a lot of people do.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol tax return.. i got a bill for almost 30k =*(
    This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.

Replacing the toilets in my house. So, so fun.
    A DWARF IS ONLY AS STRONG AS HER HAMMER.

Paying off Christmas, like I usually do.
    This year I have the added bonus of a profit share check coming around the same time.

...which will go to helping to pay off my car. Yay adulting :/

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    Paying off Christmas, like I usually do.
    This year I have the added bonus of a profit share check coming around the same time.

...which will go to helping to pay off my car. Yay adulting :/
    I'm so glad my husband and I have stopped celebrating Christmas. I don't miss the debt.
    A DWARF IS ONLY AS STRONG AS HER HAMMER.