Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Intersectionality will destroy the Progressive-Left

To roughly summarize, Intersectionality is a general way of saying "there is an underlying thought process that forms the scaffolding of all oppression." I.E. everything from Racism, Sexism, what have you is entirely the same process created by a thought that has the same root and thus ALL activists fighting oppression can use intersectionality to unify all these struggles and thus all struggles can create a united front against the Oppressor Class. Essentially there is an interconnection between all oppression. Ignoring any plausible flaws in this way of thinking, it is a very potent way for everyone from Feminists to Vegans to rally into a single cohesive movement for mass solidarity. So what is the problem? Also I freely admit this is a very crude paraphrasing. If I am wrong feel free to correct me, or if I am oversimplifying I apologeize.

Besides it being absolutely wrong, you cannot boil the world down into Oppressed-Oppressor dynamics, this integration of all progressive causes leads to such ironies and conflicts within the Progressive-Left as the aftermath of what happened on New Years Eve in Cologne. Ostensibly a glaring example of Rape culture, a horrendous attack against women.... But the attackers were entirely, or almost entirely, from another member of the Intersectional Solidarity group, Arab and North African men of predominately Islamic faith. What do you do? Well they elected largely to side with the men, shunt the women off and revealed the obvious gaping hole here. If conflict happens between any of the groups within the Intersectional collective, the whole kit and kaboodle falls apart. Or for example the conflict over the Oscars being "too white." even though plenty of Latino actors won, the Latino community suddenly found once Black America isn't benefiting or in the spotlight they go from "Fellow Person of Color," to "White devil," on a dime.

The inherent instability and incoherentness of the "movement," and its attempt to build a meta-narrative of "Cishet white male privileged shitlord against all the world," collapses and will continue to dissolve away as the hell mouth of Intersectionality binds them onto a sinking ship of disjointed movements with no clear goals and power cliques vying for dominance and to merely use other groups for extra labor in the "Progressive-Stack." As it appears, if 2015 was a year of Progressive triumph, 2016 is a year of Progressive decline. Simply put its an unstable coalition much like the money worshiping big business and Christian Conservatives were never destined to work out.

Intersectionality allows many movements to theoretically work together, but in this "I scratch your back, you scratch mine," set up it first requires an epistemology that is correct (It isn't) but also requires that all the constituent parts never bump into each other, only the evil "oppressor." But the constituent parts continue to run headlong into one another. Revealing Feminists who apologize for rape culture, PoC who don't care when PoC win an Oscar, Trans* activists that hate on a notable Trans* people, ect ect as contradictions build and the public looks on with ever greater skepticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I think that is the case for all Black/White ideologies because the shades of grey always tear the movement apart.
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/onlyjoshintv
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2...7AE0NG5sjbjYPw

Content centres around Lost Ark currently

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveDkp View Post
    I think that is the case for all Black/White ideologies because the shades of grey always tear the movement apart.
    I see a different mechanic at work here. A few very small and weaker groups have attempted to create a larger structure by absorbing lots of little causes into a kind of grand theology of Oppression which theoretically provides a common thread and ideally common solidarity for groups totally unrelated.

In reality and in a far more practical sense it allows weak and largely unsupported groups to farm out their activism while theoretically backing up other peoples causes. So while Feminists are weak and anemic because most women do not identify as or commit to feminist action, saying "Our oppression is like yours!" to Black people, Latino people, Muslims, Transgender, Gay and Lesbian people, ect it can theoretically puff up weaker movements via the strategy of the "Grand Coalition." but the coalition is unstable, unequal and certain communities are obviously given supremacy over others and when one movements cause succeeds usually their support for the coalition crumbles or they become a hated out group such as that of Gay and Lesbian people since the legalization of Gay Marriage.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you fracture a population into enough minority groups, what majority do you have left to fight?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Once you fracture a population into enough minority groups, what majority do you have left to fight?
    Each other in the endless war for the top? bottom? of the Progressive-Stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    You lash out at the other groups or the group ruptures from infighting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Each other in the endless war for the top? bottom? of the Progressive-Stack.
    Don't get me wrong - I'm a progressive, probably even radical; but all I see here is regressive ideologies thinly veiled as battles for minority rights. And I say that as part of a minority.

It's just a way for the faux-fem movement to boost numbers and enrich themselves at the expense of those who need genuine help. I doubt it will do lasting damage to the progressive left as the progressive core of consensus building and democratic activism is more or less untouched.

It does present an opportunity for conservative ideologies to compromise with the feeder level oppressed and make common ground against the social elite, something they've managed well enough in the past. A conservative leader who backed off the religious support, and moved to broad support for ethnic enclaving(structured in a way that obscures segregation), could carve up this intersectionality pyramid scheme handily.

7+ Year Old Account
    Keep putting Democrats into office and they will solve all of these oppressed groups problems. That's what they specialize in. I'm sure society will only get better.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    It's just a way for the faux-fem movement to boost numbers and enrich themselves at the expense of those who need genuine help. I doubt it will do lasting damage to the progressive left as the progressive core of consensus building and democratic activism is more or less untouched.

It does present an opportunity for conservative ideologies to compromise with the feeder level oppressed and make common ground against the social elite, something they've managed well enough in the past. A conservative leader who backed off the religious support, and moved to broad support for ethnic enclaving(structured in a way that obscures segregation), could carve up this intersectionality pyramid scheme handily.
    I think the schism between Feminism and Solidarity with Islam is biggest shattering point thus far. In Europe this core dissolution of the coalition will likely destroy their hold on politics.

I got a thing for this, hang on.

10+ Year Old Account
    lurking in the bushes outside of your window.
    I sure hope so, they are pretty fucking rabid.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Keep putting Democrats into office and they will solve all of these oppressed groups problems. That's what they specialize in. I'm sure society will only get better.
    I am if anything a devout pessimist, things never "get better," they only change.

I do not think Democrats in the United States will remain the vehicle Social Progressive-Lefties want. Gay Marriage was easy because it was the least threatening movement and allowed the DNC to gather that Activist energy and money, while not seeming to advocate for a cause that was particularly challenging to society, and that would only effect 1% of society. Gay people are so minor it was never likely to go anywhere threatening and since the Christian Conservatives were so staunchly opposed they figured the fight would last a fair amount of time so likely go nowhere for ages.

Other Progressive-Left ideas are unlikely to ever happen politically. Plus the DNC isn't out to make dramatic changes that might mess with the majority of society. Making affirmative consent laws like California's college statute would be a political nightmare nationally and likely even statewide as just an example.

I think the schism between Feminism and Solidarity with Islam is biggest shattering point thus far. In Europe this core dissolution of the coalition will likely destroy their hold on politics.
    That depends on whether or not some other power is able to offer a better solution. Without an alternative you end up with people being driven to isolationist conservativism due to unpredictable politics and disenfranchisement, which tends to be very self destructive. While this sounds like something that could disrupt the authoritarian left's power structure, it could also reinforce it if they offer that isolationism.

7+ Year Old Account
    I am if anything a devout pessimist, things never "get better," they only change.
    Things are already better in developed countries, everyone has rights, can vote, marry, etc. The real issues are in 3rd world countries.

Besides it being absolutely wrong, you cannot boil the world down into Oppressed-Oppressor dynamics, this integration of all progressive causes leads to such ironies and conflicts within the Progressive-Left as the aftermath of what happened on New Years Eve in Cologne.
    Conflicts within the left long predate "intersectionality".

Every ideology has internal conflict, especially an explicitly non-dogmatic one.

- - - Updated - - -

I see a different mechanic at work here. A few very small and weaker groups have attempted to create a larger structure by absorbing lots of little causes into a kind of grand theology of Oppression
    Um, welcome to the left wing?

It's been like that since... well before my lifetime at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Things are already better in developed countries, everyone has rights, can vote, marry, etc. The real issues are in 3rd world countries.
    Well when you're done patting yourself on the back for being better than the third world, there's still plenty of things we can improve on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Conflicts within the left long predate "intersectionality".

Every ideology has internal conflict, especially an explicitly non-dogmatic one.

- - - Updated - - -

Um, welcome to the left wing?

It's been like that since... well before my lifetime at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Well when you're done patting yourself on the back for being better than the third world, there's still plenty of things we can improve on.
    Would not intersectionality be a dogma to try and provide a common thread?

And large tracts of people from the 3rd world are rushing to the 1st. And anti-gay sentiment is fine there.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Like what? Most of the real issues are complicated economic issues, progressive lefties are all about trivial fear mongering like with the war on women/gays, race crisis, Islamophobia.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-02-19 at 06:36 AM.

Well, all war is class war, so the intersectionalists have it right.