Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hawaiian Helicopter crashes in the ocean. You have two choices.

1. For the split second it levels off before dropping like a rock do you jump? People have been jumping and diving from much higher positions for FUN for a while now, so I don't believe the distance is dangerous whether you go feet first or "dive" position. You do possibly risk having a helicopter land on you or even worst a blade catching you mid air.

2. Hang on and go down with the choppa, basically stuck in a "sitting position". You hit the water and due to displacement your body gets compressed like a car in a crushing machine.

I think if I had the right mind at the very second I would do option #1.

I could choose poorly, but that is what I am going with.

Wouldn't it auto-rotate and descend slowly?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    a gyrocopter does autorotate, but helicopter is difficult. you can set your heli to autorotate, but you need some time and skill.

Only if the engine dies. If you watch the video you can see AND hear the engine is still powered.

Edit: Well easiest if engine dies I should say.
    Last edited by alexkeren; 2016-02-19 at 06:22 PM.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

Stay inside. Getting hit with a blade would be pretty awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

staying inside virtually guarantees you getting hit with a blade. You're best to dive and get deep then away.

Tricky decision with an open door helicopter like that, as there's precious little to protect you from onrushing waves, rocks, etc, but you generally want to stay inside, hopefully with a harness that will keep you inside once you hit the water.

As others have pointed out, helicopters tend to fall more than glide. Although it's possible for it to fall at an angle, and you to jump at an opposite angle, you're risking your life on a lot of variables; blades are much longer, and much lower than most people realize, not to mention that crashes happen fairly quickly and you don't get a lot of time to assess the situation.

Staying inside is going to hurt, no way around it, but if you're strapped into a seat, you shouldn't be too worse for wear, and can swim out once the bird settles down. The most important part is being aware of your bearings, helicopters tend to roll underwater, and it's easy to become disoriented; make sure you know which way is up.

I'll have to pass on getting murdered by the rotor blades, so I'll go with number 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Well, I wouldn't have jumped out of that helicopter because the water there is not very deep and that would be pretty much guaranteed death. Even then, you probably won't fall much faster than the helicopter so there's really not much time to get out of the way of the blades and no telling which way they'll go once it hits the water. Better to stay strapped in and hope the seats have good springs.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that the helicopter and you will fall at the same speed, I'd brace and stay in the chopper.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its over water, id jump, id be fine

If I am strapped to a seat and going down, then I would probably prefer he try and nose dive the helicopter. Dropping straight down like a rock on its belly has got to be a whole lot worse compression wise on your spine.

A harness ain't gonna do shat when all the power is going to come up from the bottom.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had HUET (Helicopter Underwater Egress Training) for this very thing. You stay with the helicopter, expect it to flip upside down, then make your escape.

- - - Updated - - -

You're not auto-rotating down from 30 feet up in the air.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

very close to surface, but still high enough to break a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I've had HUET (Helicopter Underwater Egress Training) for this very thing. You stay with the helicopter, expect it to flip upside down, then make your escape.

- - - Updated - - -

Was going to point this out. Auto rotation doesn't require any particular tricky skill base or maneuvering (hell, it's even part of primary flight training). What it does require is altitude and bit of speed. If you are hovering 80 feet off the ground and the engine quits, you are pretty much going to impact the earth with all the force gravity can import on an object falling from 80 feet.

And who cares if jumping out is a better option. The reality is unless you are a super hero with reflexes like lightning, if you are at the altitude of the helicopter in the video, by the time you process the fact you are about to crash you will crash. That's just to realize that you are fucked. There is no time left over for developing scenarios and executing them.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

15+ Year Old Account
    I have friends who worked off-shore and had training for this.. From I know you wait in the helicopter for it to land and flip, and then get out.

Deleted
    You can trade speed and height to gain lift (lift as you do not fall like a rock) the helicopter was in the "death zone" low speed and low height.

10+ Year Old Account
    Helicopters have an unpleasant tendency to fall out of the sky a lot more often than fixed wing aircraft. I've spent enough time in helicopters that I'd pretty much be OK with never flying in one again.

That said, it is pretty nifty to have the flexibility of a helicopter and be able to tell the pilot where to go, ask him to land really quick so you can take a piss in the woods, whatever.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Why is the helicopter Hawaiian? Are you implying Hawaiians build faulty helicopters?

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Why is the helicopter Hawaiian? Are you implying Hawaiians build faulty helicopters?
    Because it decided to go surfing.

As for the topic at hand. You can make all the plans you want, but when you are in a helicopter that is going down the only thing you will think about is grabbing whatever you can find, repeating whatever string of profanity you prefer, and being grateful that you aren't the one that's sobbing like a baby, because if you all make it through that person is going to catch more shit.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.