View Poll Results: Would You Support A Hijab Or Niqab Ban?

Voters
314. This poll is closed
  • Hijabs should be banned

63 20.06%
  • Niqabs should be banned

81 25.80%
  • None should be banned

170 54.14%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nextormento View Post
    Lawlz. Good luck getting this women to even talk about it. Denouncing their partners is antithesis to their golden cage.
    And I don't pretend it's for their good. It's for the good of all of us. Having to see women subjected to societal removal is socially unacceptable by us.
    Women don't need your help in what they wear.

There are plenty that wear it because they are religious - has nothing to do with "oppression".

You see feminists always wanting to get rid of them, and how do Muslim women respond? "leave us alone"

You are still under the false impression that sheathing women in faceless covers and removing them from social interaction is a fashion choice.
    I never said anything about "fashion choice". I'm talking about personal freedom. Your opinions on "normal" wear should not be enforced on others via law.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Struggling to tell how this is different than people who want to force women to wear these things for "societal health".
    That's why I suggest you inform yourself.
    Because you struggle with basic concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Icuren View Post
    Women don't need your help in what they wear.

There are plenty that wear it because they are religious - has nothing to do with "oppression".

You see feminists always wanting to get rid of them, and how do Muslim women respond? "leave us alone"
    "Feminists" who want to ban the hijab or whatever are the most depressing thing.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why I suggest you inform yourself.
    Because you struggle with basic concepts.
    So you can't tell either then.

How do you think banning the clothing they view as publicly acceptable will help integration?
    Doesn't matter, if you go to saudi arabia you have to cover your hair even if you don't want to as a woman.

Come here -> get rid of your backwards oppressive clothings that conceal the identity and prevent any contact to locals. Our country our rules.

Woman have the right to integrate too and interact with locals. Forced concealing is not good for integrating.

I never said anything about "fashion choice". I'm talking about personal freedom. Your opinions on "normal" wear should not be enforced on others via law.
    Then read my first post. Because I don't actually support a ban: I find it overly paternalistic and makes my libertarian side cringe.
    But I don't find anything ethically wrong with a ban. So much so that the ECHR supports them.

So you can't tell either then.
    I can.
    You're just not reading.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-02-20 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    It's almost as if these people's opposition to them isn't based on concealing identity but is instead entirely about them passive-aggressively disliking Muslims and manifesting their angst in the form of being anti-head scarf.
    Well, a lot of people are anti-religion, not just against Muslim- but all religions. Look at Christmas. It is clearly a Christian holiday, with roots in Christianity. In some places you can't even say Merry Christmas, you have to say the pc version "Happy Holidays." Why would Merry Christmas be deemed offensive? If Merry Christmas offends people, are you surprised people are against hijabs and niqab?

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Doesn't matter, if you go to saudi arabia you have to cover your hair even if you don't want to as a woman.

Come here -> get rid of your backwards oppressive clothings that conceal the identity and prevent any contact to locals. Our country our rules.
    I don't find Saudi Arabia to be a good example to follow when crafting laws. Do you?

10+ Year Old Account

So you want to stress that you're more accepting than another society by... doing exactly what they do in telling women what they can and can't wear?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

"Feminists" who want to ban the hijab or whatever are the most depressing thing.
    Yup.

And that's why I'm loling over here with people trying to "do it for their own good" and "stop oppression" when that's not even an issue (in the first world, at least). Such a thinly veiled attempt to hate on a religion and try to regulate women.

I am not jewish, but I have gone to jewish parties/ celebrations were it was customary for men to cover their head. Guess what?- I did so out of respect even though it wasn't my belief. That is just how I was raised, to represent myself and my family/culture properly.

I don't find Saudi Arabia to be a good example to follow when crafting laws. Do you?
    No, I just wanted to point out that you have to accept the local customs.
    + We actually would help woman with our "no concealing" law. As I said, Hijab is totally ok and should be enough for every muslim woman. Only concealing should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Icuren View Post
    Yup.

And that's why I'm loling over here with people trying to "do it for their own good" and "stop oppression" when that's not even an issue (in the first world, at least). Such a thinly veiled attempt to hate on a religion and try to regulate women.
    The best part is how plainly its just xenophobia being taken out on women. You'll recall france banning the burka a while back? .015% of the population wore them.

Its a complete nonissue in the West.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I just wanted to point out that you have to accept the local customs.
    + We actually would help woman with our "no concealing" law. As I said, Hijab is totally ok and should be enough for every muslim woman. Only concealing should be banned.
    One would think in the West "personal freedom" would be the predominant local custom but hey whatevs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So you want to stress that you're more accepting than another society by... doing exactly what they do in telling women what they can and can't wear?
    More like protecting woman and increasing their quality of life. Being able to interact with locals is something that boosts your quality of life a lot.

More like protecting woman and increasing their quality of life. Being able to interact with locals is something that boosts your quality of life a lot.
    Why don't you go ahead and let them decide that for themselves eh? They're adults.

I might support a ban on the Niqab as it may obscure any and all identifying characteristics other than perhaps height, but I see no reason to ban the Hijab other than that it's an easy target.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Force to remove when necessary, no ban in public. If you try to ban it, it will only become worse. Turkey is prime example what happens when you oppress religious people. They press-back and fuck you hard.

The best part is how plainly its just xenophobia being taken out on women. You'll recall france banning the burka a while back? .015% of the population wore them.

Its a complete nonissue in the West.

- - - Updated - - -

One would think in the West "personal freedom" would be the predominant local custom but hey whatevs.
    Protecting woman is what we should do. Not only when the evil white cis male does bad something do them .

Removing tools of oppression is a good thing to do.

. As I said, Hijab is totally ok and should be enough for every muslim woman.
    You can't really make that call. For some, yes, for others, they want to be covered more.