Fcc rules you can get cable through apple, google, amazon, and android.

This week, the Federal Communications Commission ruled that you can get your cable through devices besides your company’s cable box. The ruling means that instead of having to rent the box from, say, Time Warner or ATT Uverse, you will be able to add that subscription onto your Apple TV, Fire TV, Android TV and Roku boxes. You still have to have a cable subscription, but the massive rental fees will be a thing of the past. What does that really mean? Well, it’s going to give cable companies some competition and hopefully reduce the amount of money you have to spend every month. It’s not a done deal yet, but this is the first step in what is likely inevitable as industry standards change and people are cutting the cord in droves. FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler tweeted this today: http://nerdist.com/fcc-ruling-cable-...google-amazon/

This is great news.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I misread that as can't at first and was a little upset. I'm pro for anything that makes Time Warner's life harder in even the smallest way.

Quote Originally Posted by Toosdey View Post
    I misread that as can't at first and was a little upset. I'm pro for anything that makes Time Warner's life harder in even the smallest way.
    Same, for Comcast... or Xfinity or whatever the fuck that rip off company calls themselves these days.

As soon as one option becomes full available I will be swapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That is good news!
    Though this is going to be a nightmare for people working in Customer Service.
    They'll just say we don't provide customer support for 3rd party devices.

Deleted
    Wont the Companies could just make the online service more expensive, or require a subscription equal to a cost of the equipment for your account to be able to receive the data.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Wont the Companies could just make the online service more expensive, or require a subscription equal to a cost of the equipment for your account to be able to receive the data.
    Yeah but the channels are now streaming anyway, not going to need these companies soon for TV at least.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wonderful news.

Now if they can just keep making statements like this that are pro-consumer, we'll be all good. 8)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water