Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    This is where people are so wrong. So very very.. wrong. We, as US citizens, out number the current numbers in our military. Sure, they have "better arsenal" than us, but I assure you, we may not have more "big" guns, but we have more people overall.

Why do you think they keep trying to take away guns? Simply put, we out number them.
    And this is where you're wrong as well. You think that all of the citizens or even most would fall in line with a similar goal. Not a chance. Numbers mean nothing when you have people being people. Because people can't even get along when things aren't going terribly. War is terrible. So add that stress into the equation, your numbers are useless. So grab your peashooter. But this isn't 1775. You aren't going to have 1 army vs the other. You're going to have people sabotaging sides, ratting on each other, stealing from each other, etc etc. And war anymore isn't a massive land invasion. You're going to be looking up at the sky more than you're going to be looking for some dude to target.

And please "Why do you think they keep trying to take r guns". It has nothing to do with you outnumbering them. YOu seem to think that war is fought only the ground. That hasn't been the case for a long time. A peashooter isn't going to do anything to a C130 gunship or a drone that can hit you from half a world away. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. People and their desire for war and irresponsible.
    Last edited by Seezer; 2016-02-22 at 06:24 AM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Not jumping into this crazy tinfoil hat discussion, but here is a fun website I found a while back in regards to the percent chance of automation of specific jobs by robots: Link

Those that are most upset about income inequality and corporate power are also the group that is usually for the strongest gun control.

As someone who dislikes income inequality and wants strict gun control, a war against those who don't is about the stupidest fucking idea I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Maybe less armed, but the people out number the government by far.
    Doesn't matter.

A single tank can take out easily 5000 civilians.

To say nothing of drones, choppers, etc.

Numbers only mattered in the days where the most advanced weapon was the crossbow. These days, a single squad of tanks can take down 60.000 people without even sweating.

Unless these people have anti-tank weaponry, and they don't. Don't think that real-life tanks work like in the videogames, where after you've shot it with six clips from your assault rifle, it will spontaneously explode. A pissy APC can easily soak 100,000 rounds from an assault rifle and not even slow down. To say nothing of the M1 Abrams.

if you seriously think an army of shotgun-totting rednecks are gonna topple down the fucking government, you're in for a rude awakening.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Doesn't matter.

Numbers only mattered in the days where the most advanced weapon was the crossbow. These days, a single squad of tanks can take down 60.000 people without even sweating.

Unless these people have anti-tank weaponry, and they don't. Don't think that real-life tanks work like in the videogames, where after you've shot it with six clips from your assault rifle, it will spontaneously explode. A pissy APC can easily soak 100,000 rounds from an assault rifle and not even slow down. To say nothing of the M1 Abrams.

if you seriously think an army of shotgun-totting rednecks are gonna topple down the fucking government, you're in for a rude awakening.
    You greatly underestimate the power of insurgency.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    I never understood the "if you don't like it, leave" logic. That doesn't solve any problems. You can't deny that America is corrupt in more ways than one.

As far as civil war? Not in any of our lifetimes. /thread.
    it isn't logic it's a defense mechanism so they don't have to admit there is a problem instead they can just tell themselves that one person is the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't matter.

you do realize a government needs people to keep itself running?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Ayup. Ignorance is bliss, though. I was in the Military, most of the Constitution loving, shotgun-totting, rednecks is what makes up the majority of the United States military.

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    it isn't logic it's a defense mechanism so they don't have to admit there is a problem instead they can just tell themselves that one person is the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Government is a business that feeds off of people. It needs people and their money so they can continue growing and expanding their business.

It's like a walmart except that you can't walk away from it. See what happens if you don't pay your taxes, pollute or do something against it. Guns in your face and stuff.

Doesn't matter.

I like how you say "don't think that real life tanks work like in video games" but also think 1 tank can EASILY kill 5000 people, or that a "squad" (platoon is the smallest size tanks roll in and that's 4) can easily kill 60,000 people which is a very video game centric thought.

Theirs a reason tanks don't like going into cities, and don't roll around by themselves without infantry support.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    That is now. What happens in 30-40 years when most jobs have been taken over by AI and there just isn't enough jobs for the amount of people. The population is growing. Yet the job market is going to drop dramatically once the final touches are put on full AI. And that is going to happen suddenly. Within a few years of it coming out people will lose jobs by the millions. Other nations can see that coming and that is why they are making changes already for when that time comes. America isn't. And unless they start making changes soon then they will not be ready for when that time comes.
    People on these forums dont want to know the truth. Hell most people everywhere want to stick their fucking heads in the sand

http://www.popsci.com/article/techno...0-says-general

Robots To Replace One-Fourth Of U.S. Combat Soldiers By 2030, Says Genera

Laugh. People laughed at Orwell too. But then they forget about the thousands of years of history of dictators. As if humans are now immune to it. Let me ask you something. Who will YOU trust with this shit? Oh and btw, the first fucking video is from the US Air Force themselves.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/27/90...life-institute

Musk, Hawking, and Chomsky warn of impending robot wars fueled by AI

It's seriously never going to happen, no matter how nutty some people act.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    A civil war between what? Safe space college kids vs rich people?

I doubt the current generation has a spine for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post
    I like how you say "don't think that real life tanks work like in video games" but also think 1 tank can EASILY kill 5000 people, or that a "squad" (platoon is the smallest size tanks roll in and that's 4) can easily kill 60,000 people which is a very video game centric thought.

Theirs a reason tanks don't like going into cities, and don't roll around by themselves without infantry support.
    I'll give you a point on my misuse of the word "squad". English isn't my main language, and I confused the terms, you're right that tanks roll in platoons, not squads.

Having cleared that up, a tank can indeed easily slaughter thousands of enemy combatants, UNLESS those combatants are packing anti-tank weaponry. If you have thousands of untrained, and undisciplined civilians, each with an assault rifle, and throw them all against a single tank, the tank can and will wipe the floor with them.

Zerg Rushes don't really work in real life, a single well defended emplacement can resist overwhelming enemy forces with ease, specially when they have support from unmanned aerial drones capable of cutting you down from half a mile away.

Also, tanks don't like going into cities when they're fighting an actual enemy army, who can plant stuff like mines, and shoot them with rocket launchers. Both of these are things the average gun-totting american DOES NOT have.

Understand that there's a big difference between me saying that a platoon of tanks can easily take out thousands of civilians, and me saying that a tank can take out thousands of soldiers. Big BIG difference there.

An untrained and unorganized militia, with basic firearms, no training, no discipline, and no concept of squad-based tactics will get slaughtered when going up against soldiers. Every single time soldiers fight civilians, the soldiers win. Every time. No exceptions unless we're talking like 2 soldiers vs hundreds of civilians. But put a pack of drones in the air, and the streets will be swept clean in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    Yeah, and those people wouldn't side against their government if they're reaping the benefits of their station.

I live in venezuela, and why do you think we still haven't deposed Maduro even though he's the worst president in recorded human history? Because he keeps the troops and their families fat and happy, he keeps the cronnies running his cabinet fat and happy, and he lets the other 99% of the country starve to death, and have to wipe their asses with filthy water because there's no toilet paper.

Why can't we kick them out? because an armed militia packing peashooters at worst, and shotguns at best, isn't gonna do shit against tanks, gunships, and all the modern tools of destruction that current warfare provides.

And our government is fairly primitive, packing outdated vehicles, outdated weapons, and hand-me-downs from russia and china.

Now imagine a technological juggernaut with the most advanced army in the world, and the most powerful armed force on the planet. You seriously think a bunch of hilly-billy rednecks with shotguns are gonna bring that shit down? Like I said, if you believe that, you're in for a rude awakening.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    You greatly underestimate the power of drones and unmanned weapon platforms.
    Last edited by Derah; 2016-02-22 at 08:39 PM.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

I wonder if income inequality and joblessness will get bad enough in the US that another civil war breaks out? With corporations and the super wealthy have such a death hold on government and officials civil war may turn out to be the only thing that can change it.

Quite honestly, sometimes I think about voting republican just to increase income inequality faster in order to spark a civil war faster. I feel like I have been oppressed and held down by the super wealthy and corporations my entire life and I want their blood over it.
    Civil war? More like bloodbath. War requires sides to be more of less equal. You know what wealthy people have? Planes. Ships. Tanks. Rockets. Nuclear warheads. And what do ghetto citizens have? Knifes?

I can't tell if this is a troll post or serious.

But, in any case, a civil war isn't needed. If even a third of the tax payers stopped paying taxes there'd be no way for the system to keep operating as it does- if that. Harmless disobedience is all it would take to topple Goliath.
    Horseshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    A good war seems like just the thing to make the upcoming election more interesting.

I wonder if income inequality and joblessness will get bad enough in the US that another civil war breaks out? With corporations and the super wealthy have such a death hold on government and officials civil war may turn out to be the only thing that can change it.

Quite honestly, sometimes I think about voting republican just to increase income inequality faster in order to spark a civil war faster. I feel like I have been oppressed and held down by the super wealthy and corporations my entire life and I want their blood over it.
    Significant and widespread civil unrest, maybe. Civil war? Not going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future.

I can easily see an uprising of the populace that will result in significant damage done to symbols of wealth inequality, like Wall Street, the financial districts of major cities, things like that. People rising up in armed revolt against the police, targeting of rich and wealthy, acts of significant vandalism, arson, bombings, general domestic guerrilla warfare? Yeah, can see that going on.

But an actual civilian army vs. government army? Naw, that's not how the world turns anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    A civil war between what? Safe space college kids vs rich people?

I doubt the current generation has a spine for it.
    This. 100%. Anything resembling a "Civil War" will be more like those hold-ups in Oregon. Small pockets of radicals that the rest of society looks down upon.

For a legit civil war to happen, America as a country has to fall. We would have to stop being an economic powerhouse, and unemployment would have to be greater than Great Depression levels high, combined a quality of life lower than Americans have known in a century or more, combined with a sense that the government doesn't care at all and there is no hope.

But you see, Americans always have hope, and we tend to not let things get that bad. Even if we don't have faith in the federal government, local governments are still functioning and taking actionable steps that people can participate in. Businesses are transitioning away from being the "big evil" and starting to value employees more as they focus on productivity and customer service. Some of the biggest brands even seem to be in a competition of "who can be the nicest."

I know people like to be all doom and gloom. But you can't ignore all the positive changes that are happening too. One of those positives is that we are a statistically less violent society than before.

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post
    Wont happen. The citizens are a hell of a lot less armed than the government.
    That government is made of citizens, and you can bet there's not many military or police that'd willingly battle an armed citizenry if the reasons for an uprising were along the lines of the OP, as those military and police are more or less in the same boat and they'd be asked to defend the interests of the fat cats against their own friends and families. That's the reality of the situation.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    A conventional all out war is highly unlikely. I would think something like the French Revolution would be more accurate.

As for Civilians versus Military; it depends on how many people would defect to protect the civilians.

The military would have to break the rules of war (mass genocide) in order to win against the rebels. There are just too many of us and too many guns in our hands. If the military can't handle shambling zombie out breaks in the movies, how will they handle 300 million armed angry militia men?

Who is going to fight it? The group that complains about income inequality is the same group that is for gun control and need safe spaces because words hurt. To them fighting just means sending mean tweets. Meanwhile the portion of the country that tends to be willing to actually fight the government, tends to more procapitalism and support the status quo. If the right became more against income inequality, you might actually see something done via government and not by war.