Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

Sarah Jeong looks at misogynist harassment and threats online

We haven't had a feminist thread in a while. Came across this video where Sarah Jeong talks about harassment, gamer gate, social media, harassment of women, etc. It's an hour long video but I found it interesting because she covers a lot of the things we talk about on MMO-C. She's pushing her book "The internet of garbage" in which I believe she's advocating new laws to protect (mostly) women from harassment, she compares harassment as a problem like spam and we dealt with spam by outlawing it.

You can skip over the intro, it's about 2 and half minutes long. There is a question and answer session at the end with some good questions.

“harassment” is a word that is bandied around with increasing frequency. As it becomes more and more obvious that women are disparately impacted by harassment on the Internet, harassment is framed as a civil rights problem, legal solutions are proposed, and vitriol is hurled at platforms for failing to protect female users. There is a pervasive feeling that there is a crisis on the Internet that pits the safety of women against the freedom of speech. Yet the Internet has long grappled with what to do when unwanted speech makes it unusable. The history of the Web—from its oldest forgotten communities to the decades of anti-spam technology—can offer a new lens through which to understand online harassment, along with lessons and caveats.

I think she's cute and would like to date her. When she gestures quickly with her left hand you can see her boob jiggle cause they put the mic next to her left boob.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Another leftist that wants to destroy the First Amendment.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As soon as I saw the pink hair and the title about her talking about Harassment I knew I was going to go on a wild ride.

Deleted
    So can you tl:dr? Is this the Sarkessitard version where disagreement and/or exposing bullshit and lies equals harrasment?

Deleted
    Oh dear, pink hair...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Well Sarkessitard actually went to the UN and argued against free speech, burden of proof and innocent until proven guilty.. So the judicial system is out the window as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    ... mmo-c posters never stop amazing me.

I don´t have the time to watch that video now, but there sure are some methods to prevent online harassment. I can´t see how any of them would interfere with any law anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Is there some requirement to dye your hair some ridiculous color or you can't be taken seriously now?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

I don´t have the time to watch that video now, but there sure are some methods to prevent online harassment. I can´t see how any of them would interfere with any law anyway.
    There are. What methods are you thinking of?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think she's cute and would like to date her.
    Pretty sure you're on the wrong team, buddy.

Deleted

Because most of what these women call harassment is really people disagreeing with them and calling them out on BS/Lies (See Thunderfoot vs Sarkessitard cronies)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    There are. What methods are you thinking of?
    I´m thinking of filters like used in wow for example. You can make certain advancements to implement entire phrases or different spelling, this would also exclude words that partially include filtered words by having the letters in the same order. (Though that´s probably a foregin problem)

I don´t see how freedom of speech includes freedom to harass, and i do doubt whoever implemented these laws in the different countries had that in mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Because most of what these women call harassment is really people disagreeing with them and calling them out on BS/Lies (See Thunderfoot vs Sarkessitard cronies)
    They don´t really have the authority to declare what harassment is, so they can have their opinion, but it´s worth nothing.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    I´m thinking of filters like used in wow for example. You can make certain advancements to implement entire phrases or different spelling, this would also exclude words that partially include filtered words by having the letters in the same order. (Though that´s probably a foregin problem)

I don´t see how freedom of speech includes freedom to harass, and i do doubt whoever implemented these laws in the different countries had that in mind.
    I don't think anyone here objects to people being able to set up word filters for themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Unfortunately certain SJWs rely on "internet vigilante mobs" to harass whoever disagrees with them no matter how the other person phrased their views. I don't think free speech should be censored and most certainly not retaliated against with physical harm or stuff like "doxxing" that can ruin careers/privacy.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Pink hair. Who'd of guessed......

Will watch this after work but from your summary of it I don't expect I'll get anything out of it besides "evil men" and "patriarchy!!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    I don't think anyone here objects to people being able to set up word filters for themselves.
    I can´t see any other "law" that could help with online harassment.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

They don´t really have the authority to declare what harassment is, so they can have their opinion, but it´s worth nothing.
    So harassment is ok only when feminists and sjws do it?

I believe that free speech should never be censored in any way cause it leads to such a slippery slope.

Sorry if this dumb bitch or any like her either male or female cant use the block message filter that most website offer then they either need to grow a pair or get off the internet.

Back in the day if you spoke crap at speakers corner you was heckled and i see no reason why that shouldn't happen on the internet. If your argument cant stand up to scrutiny then you deserve the shitstorm you get.

Deleted
    I can´t see any other "law" that could help with online harassment.
    You know what helps? Get of the damn web.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, we need the FREEDOM to hurl death threats.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters