Deleted

WoW token prices,regions,goldselling ,vendor prices.

I was looking at the token prices again as I was quite annoyed that I could afford the US price but not the EU.

This is what they cost at the moment according to wowtoken.info and I've put the cost of the token into their own currency and US dollar value then gold per dollar at the end.
    Code:
    US     37K             $20       1.85k
    EU     75k      €20  $22       3.40k
    UK     75k      £15  $21.16   3.54k    
    China 81k      30    $4.60   17.60k
    TW    170k    500  $15       11.33k
    Korea 175k    22k  $17.87    9.79k
    What other reasons aside from basic supply and demand affect these prices? Are vendor prices,AH cuts or other elements of the game, the same across all regions? Is it due to the prices set by gold sellers in the region? Is there price manipulation behind the scenes.

What are the costs per month for each of the regions,does china still have pay as you play cards instead of month subs?
    Last edited by mmoc7ab228a6a0; 2016-02-23 at 12:08 PM. Reason: stupid forum screwing up layout

It would make more sense to list the percentage of average monthly income that a token would cost. The purchasing power of a dollar changes wildly when you compare one country to another. If EU was split between eastern countries and western countries, the western EU servers would have a token price that's more comparable to the US.

Deleted
    They set the cashprice in EU ridiculus high, sub fee +65%. And people in general seems to have enough gold to sub.
    Not playing now, but sometimes before there wasn't even an token to buy for gold. Out of stock...

So expensive tokens + large demand = high gold prices.

Edit: Also EU had alot higher (%-wise) starting goldprice then US.
    Edit2: Remembered wrong numbers, was only a 5k difference, 30k vs 35k.
    Last edited by mmocd7919f6051; 2016-02-23 at 12:22 PM.

The price tells you two things.
    EU players have more gold than us players.
    EU players also are less likely to buy the tokens until it reaches a higher gold return.
    Meaning seems us players have more real money to throw around and are fine only getting 37k for 20 dollars.
    I am a us player and wouldn't even think of buying the token unless I got at least 50k gold for it.
    But that seems to only be me

I don't think it's because EU players have more gold then US players, it's probably more about the amount of players on servers.

My theory is that an Euro has different value across Europe, so people that would save more from buying a token would do that, compared to someone from a country where they can essentially wipe their ass with 12 €.

For instance, if I live in Makedonia, 12 € will be very expensive for me, and buying sub time with a token is better.
    If I live in Norway, I can buy character boosts without caring too much.

I've played with Bulgarians, and they seem to be much more conservative with their real money than Scandinavians. They rarely buy paid services, whereas Scandinavians just don't give a fuck.

Again, this is just my theory - the Eastern European players buy tokens because real money -> gold, and Western Europeans buy tokens because they want gold. I'm not claiming to be right.

I would think the US servers don't see this, because the poorer Latin American countries have their own Spanish servers, whereas EU has more languages than there are language specific servers. Then you get a mesh of people from countries with tremendously different economies and buying power.

I don't know why the Asian prices are so high - maybe they've always had inflation?

The token price suddenly rose though, from 60k -> 64k -> 60k -> 70k -> 75k over a very short amount of time, blerh

Quote Originally Posted by japperdepapper View Post
    I don't think it's because EU players have more gold then US players, it's probably more about the amount of players on servers.
    wrong, it's a FACT EU players have far more gold than US players.

US realms i hear people buying tcg mounts for 300k 200k even less, spectral tigers 500k.

EU all tcg mounts are instant gold cap, swift spectral is 1.5-2 gold caps.

Quote Originally Posted by japperdepapper View Post
    That is exactly why it is more. They set the prices based off the average gold the average player had. EU was higher from the get go due to this.
    Why do you think Asia tokens are so high?
    They have more gold and or gold farmers

China tokens are $4 and sell for 81k LOL. Really shows you how inflated the China WoW economy is due to gold farming

Brazilian Price it's around U$ 16,50 so u can manage to win a bit more buying in "Reais".
    Also our sub it's only U$ 4,50 if you buy directly on the blizzard store.

If I was american I'd buy everything in "reais" with a proxy and an International Card to save a few bucks.
    Last edited by JV Chequer; 2016-02-23 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    wrong, it's a FACT EU players have far more gold than US players.

US realms i hear people buying tcg mounts for 300k 200k even less, spectral tigers 500k.

EU all tcg mounts are instant gold cap, swift spectral is 1.5-2 gold caps.
    except that's not the reason why prices of TCG items are low on US realms... It because of dupers (apparently mainly chinese) - they show up from time to time and cause prices to plummet and blizzard eventually bans and fixes the dupes

there is almost no duping in EU on the other hand

Deleted
    Well... that just shows that even if wow went f2p it would currently be down on sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    It would make more sense to list the percentage of average monthly income that a token would cost. The purchasing power of a dollar changes wildly when you compare one country to another. If EU was split between eastern countries and western countries, the western EU servers would have a token price that's more comparable to the US.
    I find the disparity between eu and na quite odd, yet anecdotally it has always been that way.

speculation on possible reason - to increase token sales in gameshop due to low relative demand at the na price vs. north america per capita (player). I assume as a given that blizzard wants to sell MORE tokens in gamestore than player buy in-game from ah over any reasonable amount of time.

possible reason for eu having higher gold/dollar? ties into your suggestion, there are parts of eu where the cost of living/income is quite lower than others (eastern europe?) and this would tie into that - decreased per capita token salesin gamestore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    My theory is that an Euro has different value across Europe, so people that would save more from buying a token would do that, compared to someone from a country where they can essentially wipe their ass with 12 €.

For instance, if I live in Makedonia, 12 € will be very expensive for me, and buying sub time with a token is better.
    If I live in Norway, I can buy character boosts without caring too much.

I've played with Bulgarians, and they seem to be much more conservative with their real money than Scandinavians. They rarely buy paid services, whereas Scandinavians just don't give a fuck.

Again, this is just my theory - the Eastern European players buy tokens because real money -> gold, and Western Europeans buy tokens because they want gold. I'm not claiming to be right.

I would think the US servers don't see this, because the poorer Latin American countries have their own Spanish servers, whereas EU has more languages than there are language specific servers. Then you get a mesh of people from countries with tremendously different economies and buying power.

I don't know why the Asian prices are so high - maybe they've always had inflation?

The token price suddenly rose though, from 60k -> 64k -> 60k -> 70k -> 75k over a very short amount of time, blerh
    bascially this. blizzard will find a gold/token level in their managed auction process that creates a mostly stable market. blizzard wants to sell as many or more tokens in gamestore than players buy in AH. I assume they are forced to monetize some tokens (e.g. issue gold themselves to keep auctions orderly and prompt) as part of their market stabilization efforts.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

i sold my token on proudmoore for 37k yeasterday

I think the primary factor is the amount of gold/bot farms in each region. I believe they're clamped down on more in NA than other regions. So there's more gold supply especially in Asia, which drives down the value of gold per dollar.

Edit: It could also be the lower cost of running bot farms in Asia. As in, you can make a living from it more easily (whereas in NA, a few dollars an hour isn't so great).