Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Well then don't. Your choice.
    But suicide is punishable by death!

you can live past 60 without your body falling apart. my father is 70 and still cuts and splits all his own wood to heat his house and will do it for like 8 hrs straight. he also is still autoracing. aside from his bout with cancer 12 years ago hes had no other health issues. his mother, my grandmother, is 92 and still goes on 4ish mile walks every day and has no mobility issues.

I think you just need to be diligent about exercise and healthy habits. I know a lot of it has to do with genetics as well, and that can play a huge factor, but you aren't guaranteed to fall apart after 60

I hope to be spoiling grandkids at 60. Wouldn't want to miss that. Greatgrandkids are on their own though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt I'll even make it to 60 tbh

Having children greatly affects how long you want to live or care to, the only thing that would make me want to die before my time would be dementia. Maybe it's because I have always been in my head but the thought of losing my memory / mind is not something I want to experience nor let my family watch unfold.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    That happens around 30 already.

Honestly, this is such a typical thing that kids say. When you grow older you won't think like that anymore.
    I'm not a kid... There's no need to be insulting.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I just await the future and see what happens to the world, and look back and remember what it was like. I hope to grow old and maintain a healthy mind

I already do this, and I'm in my 20's...It amazes me how many peoplestay buried in their phones all day long

10+ Year Old Account
    Eat healthy. Go outside and walk regularly. Discover things for yourself throughout your life. Have a life goal that maybe will bring good to the world, or will get you satisfied anyway. 60 is nothing. As long as you're healthy, it's fine, just don't get too crazy after 65-70, and keep being healthy more than ever.

I"m 35 and don't care if i see 36... i have never had a desire to be 60+ My life has pretty much peaked, did 6-7 years ago so meh.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I used to feel that way, but the closer I get to it, the more I realize. I want to live longer than that. As old as possible. I just want to see what happens in the world. How my kids do, how their kids do. I don't want to die. Life is too short, and it's going by too fast.
    Funny, I'm kind of the opposite. I used to want to live past 60, in fact I was pretty much working just for it, saving up a pension, planning trips, where to retire to etc. But to be honest nowadays life just seems too much effort to bother.
    Kids shouting or crying, house is a tip, mortgage seems to be getting bigger not smaller, wife argues with me about anything.
    I stopped paying into my pension about 6 years ago and looks like that wont change for about the next 20 years, so I'll have no pension or savings to retire on, which means I will probably be forced to work way beyond 60 or even 70.
    41 now and to be honest I just want to get the next 20 years done, get the kids grown up and independent then I'm done.

Deleted
    You should meet my Grandpa. 75 years old, still as fit as if he was 40 and buffed like an athlete.

Of course genetics play a role, but he always made sure he is in peak condition every day by eating healthy and going to the gym 2 days a week.
    He even still pushes his own caravan uphill when parking it on holiday in France every year.

Deleted
    60 is not "old" in my opinion - But it changes a lot from person to person.

My dad is almost 60, and he is doing 3 marathons a year still, and want to train for an Iron Man.

My grandparents got sick and died slowly after 65, though.
    But its all about lifestyle choices imo.

If you have been fat and smoking since your 20s, then the 65+ years of your life, might not be as fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by malSheep View Post
    But its all about lifestyle choices imo.

If you have been fat and smoking since your 20s, then the 65+ years of your life, might not be as fun.
    I completely agree with you.

We have no control over genetics or diseases, but what we CAN control we absolutely SHOULD control!

Deleted
    I was unfortunate enough to land a few genetic illnesses that are already making my life difficult and this will only get more severe/impactful as I age. By the time i'm 60 it's entirely likely i'd need massive levels of support/medication/treatment to get through the day. Not sure I'll get there, the closer I feel to it the less likely it seems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I used to feel that way, but the closer I get to it, the more I realize. I want to live longer than that. As old as possible. I just want to see what happens in the world. How my kids do, how their kids do. I don't want to die. Life is too short, and it's going by too fast.
    Funny enough I'm kind of the opposite. I used to look forward to retirement and all that. I a way I was working for that. But now at 41 I just find the day-to-day life too much of a slog. Kids screaming, house a mess, missus argues with me all the time, mortgage seems to be getting bigger not smaller (will be paying that off for the rest of my life), childcare costs a fortune.
    I haven't paid into my pension in about 5 years, so I will have no money to retire on, which means I'd probably be forced to work to 70+ which I can't be bothered with).
    So my view has switched, I basically want to get the kids grown up and independent then I'll quite at about 60-65.

My Dad is 72, just had heart valve surgery (defect he had since he was almost a kid, but it worried the doc's it was getting tighter) and has barely slowed down (honestly 3 months after the surgery he may have speeded up a bit). *granted it's different for others, a friend of his that's about 6 years younger than my dad worries my dad when he takes him fishing, he has a hard time doing much (also think it helps my dad is a retired auto mechanic so he was always active and moving around) .

*he seems to really like FPS too, have not been able to play any of my steam games for a bit because he's been on there playing them, good thing I have BF1 available when I want to play something

so ya for some 60 may be a living hell and for some, others not even a speed bump.....

Deleted
    Given they are already testing with bio-armor and other movement enhancers, plus the medical technology (transplants, etc.) i doubt ill be too old to do all the things i want to do when im 60.

I'm not rich enough to live past 60.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

My 85 year old grandpa is chirpier than I am.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neither do I. I am convinced I will be killed by the time I am 42, either by a crazy woman, or a poster on this board.

going by genetics I have 4 outcomes.

Dead early on (likely wont happen as treatments for this condition exist)
    Immortal (one of my grandparents, the only 1 left is about 100 and is fully mentally there and hardly needs physical assistance)
    Mentally gone, physically fine
    Physically gone, mentally fine.