Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

I have noticed when Black People are talked about on this board...

People here almost never differentiate between different communities. Instead what ends up happening is a whole bunch of negative numbers are thrown out with fbi data and all, as if black americans and black africans and black Caribbeans are all the same group. This makes absolutely no sense as each group is very very very different when it comes to education, crime, and careers.

When you think of black people in America how often do you actually think about the completely different sets of black people and how they differ from each other? Such a thing never seems to happen and I've only seen a few people (myself included) mention the differences.

Troll gets bored on a thursday and stirs the race pot for giggles

Infracted-Contribute to the topic
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-02-26 at 12:55 AM.

Because it doesnt matter. When you talk about white people, do you mention every different ethnicity? How about asians?

Deleted
    Oh you mean that black Americans are the thug-types, black Africans are the ones with 80IQ and black Caribbeans are irrelevant?

Infracted
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2016-02-26 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Because it doesnt matter. When you talk about white people, do you mention every different ethnicity? How about asians?
    I mention immigrants... i constantly do and have said how immigrants in general tend to do quite well compared to native population. I did so just recently (past fortnight) in a topic about Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    People here almost never differentiate between different communities. Instead what ends up happening is a whole bunch of negative numbers are thrown out with fbi data and all, as if black americans and black africans and black Caribbeans are all the same group. This makes absolutely no sense as each group is very very very different when it comes to education, crime, and careers.

When you think of black people in America how often do you actually think about the completely different sets of black people and how they differ from each other? Such a thing never seems to happen and I've only seen a few people (myself included) mention the differences.
    Why do black people from all places of origin often call themselves African Americans? If you're looking for people with black skin to be differentiated by their actual places of origin then the large groups that portend to speak for them ought to not lump them as "African Americans" when they didn't all come from Africa.

If you go far enough back everyone came from Africa, so could you argue that white people are African American too? What about white people who moved from South Africa - they're more "African American" than black people from the Caribbean.

For that matter, people born in the States with black skin are American. They're Americans with black skin, they're not "African" in any sense of the word, since many of them don't even come from there.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2016-02-26 at 12:53 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    I mention immigrants... i constantly do and have said how immigrants in general tend to do quite well compared to native population. I did so just recently (past fortnight) in a topic about Europe.
    Why do you just mention immigrants, instead of all their ethnic and socio-economic background? Fucking racist bigot.

Deleted
    In general? No, that's a lie here. Labor migrants do well, love migrants do well. The other types of migrants however? Nope, they do not do well.

And you're one to talk, considering what you've said about me talking about racism against finns in Sweden despite finns being white.

But youre OP didnt mention immigrants. You just said black people. Yes, if you really want to get technical, you could break down crime or whatever by ethnicity. Its just tedious and doesnt really do anything. Its pointless knowledge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the hell would anyone bring up blacks in the Caribbean's in a discussion about blacks in the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Well, reverse this and ask yourself if you put much thought into the different groups of white Americans. Do you put much thought into it? I'm going to be honest here and say I don't. I see no reason to unless the situation calls for it.
    Any discussion about crime or money warrants mentioning it. It's why when I bring up such things I often specify "black americans". White americans? no no because white americans are one group, and then you have white immigrants (which I've talked about in the past before).

I'm not breaking down black americans into multiple groups, or white americans into multiple groups, but separating white americans from immigrant whites, and black americans from immigrant blacks. typically in topics we're very american focused but I feel that the statistics used are being applied to all blacks regardless of origin, which isn't exactly how it should work.

7+ Year Old Account
    ........ Its the same with asian people or white people. Nobody knows where you come from, so you just go to the largest collection of the species. The most seen blacks are the afro-americans, the most seen asian are either Korean or Chinese and for whites, we are either american! or german or french. This is not a perfect thing, but hey.... Its the best we are gonna get before we begin wearing our nations flag on our heads.

Well the truth is the same for Whites too. Whites are the "majority" holders of power. So by that logic does me being white mean I have power? Do I work on Wall Street pulling astronomically insane paychecks? No... not at fucking all. I'm not sure where the line was for "You're white and here's all your free shit" but I missed it. That being said, I'm also not cooking meth in the hills of Kentucky either which only goes to further your point.

We a society propelled by both "News Media" as well as "Social Media" stereotype generally from the negative not the positive. Though to be fair, that has nearly always been the case in every society and thus isn't really adding much.

Any discussion about crime or money warrants mentioning it. It's why when I bring up such things I often specify "black americans". White americans? no no because white americans are one group, and then you have white immigrants (which I've talked about in the past before).

I'm not breaking down black americans into multiple groups, or white americans into multiple groups, but separating white americans from immigrant whites, and black americans from immigrant blacks. typically in topics we're very american focused but I feel that the statistics used are being applied to all blacks regardless of origin, which isn't exactly how it should work.
    When the FBI or whoever records crime statistics, do they break it down? I dont think they do. We work with the data that we have. That said, I have met plenty of unsavory black americans, but i have never met a black carribean i didnt like. They are cool people.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Why the hell would anyone bring up blacks in the Caribbean's in a discussion about blacks in the U.S.?
    Because black Caribbeans make up a large number of the black population; however, don't suffer the same issues.

I'm not talking about black Caribbeans in the Caribbean.

For instance when it comes to statistics and prejudice the sentiment is often "well the black community brought it on themselves by... such and such" however what is this "black community" which "black community" is this? For the most part it tends to be Americans but I highly doubt anyone saying that is giving any of that much thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a large enough number of black immigrants to offset crime statistics in the U.S. Probably why they don't separate them.

Because black Caribbeans make up a large number of the black population; however, don't suffer the same issues.

For instance when it comes to statistics and prejudice the sentiment is often "well the black community brought it on themselves by... such and such" however what is this "black community" which "black community" is this? For the most part it tends to be Americans but I highly doubt anyone saying that is giving any of that much thought.
    Because no thought is given either way. Its still a large grouping. Its like saying "white people are in a better socioeconomic standing." Ya it sounds good, but it ignores individuals. There are plenty of poor white people. At the end of the day, you are looking at a large group of individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I don't see a large enough number of black immigrants to offset crime statistics in the U.S. Probably why they don't separate them.
    It's a large number. 10% of the black population are immigrants.

10+ Year Old Account

Blacks, regardless of origin, unite themselves nationally in official terms as African Americans. Until they decide that their own cultural identities are more important than their potential ties to Africa (their alluded-to historic continent of origin), they will continue to be lumped together by others in the same manner in which they lump themselves.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    They make up a large population in the Caribbeans, not world wide or in the U.S.

Then why bring them up?

So what you're trying to do is shift the blame.