Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Which religion? Religion has nothing to do with it. It's more like if she's not good enough for him....... or there must be something wrong with her if he dumped her like trash...and I don't do trash......
    Confucianism is sometimes considered a religion and in it divorce is considered a mans prerogative but is still frowned upon and brings shame upon women.

Ridiculous, of course you can't accept divorced women!
    A women is only good if she is pure. She cannot have had contact with any male other then her father.

(obvious sarcasm is obvious)

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    DISCLAIMER this is only my cynical view on marriage so take it with a grain of salt.

In a community property state such as Texas unless you plan on having kids there is zero incentive for a man to wed. Almost everything we can gain can come from a stable long term relationship. As far as messing around with divorced women? Wouldn't matter much to me as long as their ex isn't clingy or i'm compared to the ex constantly.
    There's no fear of auto-entering common law marriage?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    What if it's her who bumped him for cheating or being a violent asshat? Do we have to assume that if a woman is a divorcee, it can only be her fault?
    It's not what I'm advocating, it's their go to thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    The Chinese are terrified of the Japanese.
    The chinese may have a huge population but they don't yet have giant death robots!
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

No I don't believe in marrying a divorced woman, too much baggage. To be fair it would depend on the vows they took when they got married, mine were not very stringent (justice of the peace) but some do swear in front of their god, family, and most importantly their future partner in life to <insert vow> until "death do you part".

For me it is the baggage and possible broken vow that bothers me.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need"
    ~Vernon Howard

"The truly rich are those who enjoy what they have"
    ~Yiddish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    Welcome to what the one child policy was meant to do, lower the population.
    Yeah, technically, I guess it kind of has worked. It has slowed the population growth quite a lot. Its expected to cap around 2030. They repealed it in 2013 because it had served its purpose.

Was it worth it on a humanitarian level? Probably not. All sorts of problems with unwanted female children.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Damn man, I'm expecting a thinkpiece on the one child policy.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    male births in China have far outnumbered female births for many years. By 2020, the number of men of marriageable age is expected to outnumber women by 30 to 35 million, and men are already struggling to find brides.
    I did chuckle at the contrast between the 2 highlighted parts.

China has 1.357 billion people. Assume half are "marriageable" age, 35 million is only 5%. So about 355 million men to 320 women. The first statement makes it sound like it is closer to 500 million men to 200 million women...

Anyways, China's male to female ratio is actually slightly better than (drumroll please) the United States! China's ratio 15 to 64 is 1.06...in the US, that ratio is 1.07. (BTW, this is pretty close the natural birth rate ratio)

The top 10 worst countries for that ratio are:
    - UAE - 2.74
    - Qatar - 2.46
    - Kuwait - 1.78
    - Oman - 1.38
    - Bahrain - 1.33
    - Saudi Arabia - 1.29
    - Palau - 1.26
    - Saint Barthelemy - 1.19
    - Mayotte - 1.16
    - Faroe Islands - 1.15

I'm not sure what's more amusing. The people saying they wouldn't marry a divorcee, or that Tennisace is still allowed to shitpost on a daily basis.

Being non-religious male there's no reason for me to ever marry, but if I had some life changing experience that convinced me otherwise I'd marry a divorced woman if she was a good life partner. Mistakes happen and people change, there's no harm in marrying a divorcee. If you're a woman.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't be surprised about this stigma. Just came back from an East Asia trip and the rural communities hold a lot of older, less informed traditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    What if it's her who bumped him for cheating or being a violent asshat? Do we have to assume that if a woman is a divorcee, it can only be her fault?
    1. She'd still shown herself to make terrible decisions, i.e marrying a man like that.
    2. Your gamble is at the best of days 50%, given the rammifications of marriage in the west and to how much backlash you're exposing yourself to. That's not really a good idea at that point.
    3. Add children to the mix and stuff gets even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Only a few states honor common law. Here in Texas this what it says
    To have a common law marriage in Texas, the couple must: Agree to be married, Live together in Texas as husband and wife, and. Tell other people that they are married.
    Wow. Here, you might not know you are. Last I heard and I could be misinformed, you are if she has stayed over a few nights per week for 6 months or gets her mail sent to your address - she'd be entitled to half your stuff.

meh, cultural norms like that can die for all I care. the male to female ratio is only going to become more of a problem for them as it goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I didn't say it was but it seems like in China this is an issue.
    The Chinese are also afraid of bones and perfectly willing to eat dogs, so take anything they care about with a huge grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    Welcome to what the one child policy was meant to do, lower the population.
    Yeah. Since couples could only have one kid, they would abort female fetuses or kill them off once they were born to try and have a male to carry on the family name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The Chinese are also afraid of bones and perfectly willing to eat dogs, so take anything they care about with a huge grain of salt.
    There are stigmas against divorcees in lots of cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by death87 View Post
    what the hell is wrong with marrying divorcees?
    a marrying a divorcee with a child is like playing someone else's saved game

15+ Year Old Account
    Divorced women are the best women. They've seen all the shit of a marriage - they just want to have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    just invade Japan, the women there do not want their men anyway
    I don't think they'd want Chinese men any more than they want Japanese men (my guess is they'd definitely want them less).

Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    The Chinese are terrified of the Japanese.
    ^ Also this. Japan is crazy and has tentacle monsters and robot armies - China wants none of that.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    just invade Japan, the women there do not want their men anyway
    japanese and koreans are not very fond of the chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    There are stigmas against divorcees in lots of cultures.
    Lots of dumb cultures.