Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

HB 6064: illegitimate children could be denied a birth certificate, financial aid

http://chicagoist.com/2016/02/20/law...n_that_wou.php

Two Republican lawmakers in Illinois have proposed a bill that would deny children who have been born to fathers who cannot be identified a birth certificate and access to financial aid, in the event that a father cannot be identified via DNA evidence.

From the bill:

“Provides that if the unmarried mother cannot or refuses to name the child's father, either a father must be conclusively established by DNA evidence or, within 30 days after birth, another family member who will financially provide for the child must be named, in court, on the birth certificate. Provides that absent DNA evidence or a family member's name, a birth certificate will not be issued and the mother will be ineligible for financial aid from the State for support of the child.”
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...ionID=88&GA=99

What is your opinion regarding this piece of legislation?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    That's what I love about good Christian lawmakers. Always following Jesus' example doing everything they can to make sure children get nothing!

Yeah, it's all about helping the kids! Kids, man.. ahhhhhh.

And men. Because pushing forward legislation that incentivizes women to put the first name that comes to mind won't hurt child support laws at all either.

Wait what? I thought this was another attack on mexicans but this is targeting loose women and rape victims?

What the fuck republicans?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see what on Earth they're trying to achieve with this, other than an attack on single mothers.

If you father a child you have to pay for it's upbringing.

We'll throw you in jail if you father a kid and don't support it.

This is just part of that, name the father and well put him in jail until he pays child support.

Taxpayers don't want to pay to rear your brats.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

This is just part of that, name the father and well put him in jail until he pays child support.

Except all this does is push people to throw darts at a wall for kids they don't know the father of and stick someone with payment rather than any of the things you outlined.

Except that's not what this bill is doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

If you read the bill closely, you will see that they want to push the cost onto other family members, such as the womans siblings, parents, etc.

Deleted
    What is the point of such a law? Scare people into not getting illegitimate children, because that has sure as shit not worked the last thousands of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    pro life my behind...

I dont see any legit reason to deny a kid their birth certificate. Also, now lets play "who can I name that can possibly be the dad so I wont be screwed by this law" roulette!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    If you read the bill closely, you will see that they want to push the cost onto other family members, such as the womans siblings, parents, etc.
    and if they are also in poverty, they wont be able to cover that cost. Or they could, but then require more govt assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    pro life my behind...

I dont see any legit reason to deny a kid their birth certificate. Also, now lets play "who can I name that can possibly be the dad so I wont be screwed by this law" roulette!
    Read closely.

or, within 30 days after birth, another family member who will financially provide for the child must be named

This is really what it is all about. They want to push the cost onto family members, so they can prevent paying welfare, food stamps, etc.

I'm not seeing the problem?

I'd rather the family pay instead of me.

Also, now lets play "who can I name that can possibly be the dad so I wont be screwed by this law" roulette!
    The father has to be conclusively established by DNA evidence. Which could be extremely difficult to obtain, for a variety of reasons.

This is pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    I'm not seeing the problem?

I'd rather the family pay instead of me.
    Until your irresponsible daughter, grandaughter, niece etc comes to you wanting you to foot the bill, eh?

Deleted
    pro life my behind...

- - - Updated - - -

and if they are also in poverty, they wont be able to cover that cost. Or they could, but then require more govt assistance.
    I get that, but on the other side...all I read is, if the father won't pay...nobody has to. Which is bullshit. They need to find common ground on this one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read closely.

or, within 30 days after birth, another family member who will financially provide for the child must be named

This is really what it is all about. They want to push the cost onto family members, so they can prevent paying welfare, food stamps, etc.
    and if the family in general is in poverty, this law will help that...how? Hard to pay for others when you can barely pay for yourself.

Deleted
    Until your irresponsible daughter, grandaughter, niece etc comes to you wanting you to foot the bill, eh?
    That's kinda what family is for, helping you out of stupid shit you've done.

Deleted
    Okay, I can get wanting to push the cost onto someone, but what is up with not wanting to give a birth certificate?