Are kids medicated too much?

I heard about a person who was prescribed meds by their psychiatrist. The psychiatrist told them that the pills would make them feel better but the meds ended up making the student sleep through class.

Is big pharma greedy? Is their relationship with the educational system puts the well being of America's children at risk.

Are psychiatrists evil?

Deleted
    You heard about something? So it's anecdotal, not first hand experience? Whatever your opinion is, it's not really going to be valid unless you can come to me with something more than anecdotal evidence.

This just in: Meds can have side effects.

This also in: You need to weight the pros and cons of a medication to see if it's worth using, or if you should try a different kind of medication.

INb4 thread dissolves in people talking about ADD medication.

So I herd u liek mudkipz.

I'd be inclined to say so. More to the point, anything to do with mental health tends to have pills thrown at it as a first course of action.

Antidepressants in particular, are pretty much the modern incarnation of lobotomies; in that there's no real understanding of how they work, or if they work. It's mostly one huge gamble on the serotonin theory.

Deleted
    it takes 3 days for the kid to not feel sleepy

I believe so, yes. Mental health issues aren't generally treated directly - and it's unfortunately very easy for doctors and therapists to give people medicine instead. Even if they don't work out you can still be stuck waiting around for actual meaningful aid.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Is big pharma greedy?
    Yes.
    Are psychiatrists evil?
    No.
    Are kids medicated too much?
    Maybe. There are problems with both over-medication and under-medication. The problem is that diagnosis is hard, so people that need meds don't always get them, and people that don't need meds sometimes do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Maybe. There are problems with both over-medication and under-medication. The problem is that diagnosis is hard, so people that need meds don't always get them, and people that don't need meds sometimes do.
    1st you dont need a diagnosis to prescribe , the person that asks help doesnt need to have a metal illness to get meds . A psychiatrist ( a therapist cant even give meds ) prescribe if there is a symptom big enough that stops you from having a normal life .

now about OP many psychoactive drugs makes you sleepy for 3-5 days max it will go away , better take this pills at night

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard about--
    Aaand so it begins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vain View Post
    1st you dont need a diagnosis to prescribe
    What the fuck?

1st you dont need a diagnosis to prescribe , the person that asks help doesnt need to have a metal illness to get meds . A psychiatrist ( a therapist cant even give meds ) prescribe if there is a symptom big enough that stops you from having a normal life .
    I don't know what country you're from, but in the United States, if there's no diagnosis attached to a prescription or procedure, insurance and/or the government will refuse to pay the tab for it. Do you just mean that you don't need a DSM psychiatric diagnosis? That's correct. You do need a medical Dx though, unless there's some roundabout prescription method that I'm not aware of. If there is, I'd be interested in knowing how that works.

Deleted
    I don't know what country you're from, but in the United States, if there's no diagnosis attached to a prescription or procedure, insurance and/or the government will refuse to pay the tab for it. Do you just mean that you don't need a DSM psychiatric diagnosis? That's correct. You do need a medical Dx though, unless there's some roundabout prescription method that I'm not aware of. If there is, I'd be interested in knowing how that works.
    here we use icd-10 and if you want insurance money for the meds you get a code that translate to " other type of ... " before the doc is sure about it

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe, but not always. Medicine effects everyone differently.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

here we use icd-10 and if you want insurance money for the meds you get a code that translate to " other type of ... " before the doc is sure about it
    Sure, but that is a medical diagnosis. Some of them are incredibly broad (F99 comes to mind), but they're still medical diagnoses.

I think I understand your point though - you don't need to have any specified mental illness to be prescribed medication. That's definitely correct.

Deleted
    Sure, but that is a medical diagnosis. Some of them are incredibly broad (F99 comes to mind), but they're still medical diagnoses.

I think I understand your point though - you don't need to have any specified mental illness to be prescribed medication. That's definitely correct.
    what he cares about is if its a anxiety , mood or personality symptom and if there is a psychosis . just more academic knowledge for you my friends

medicated with poison, then new medication for 'adverse drug reactions'