Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Does this mean criminals can sue when police are called and end up shooting someone? Seems like about as much gross negligence there as owning a dog who defends your property.

People sometimes, honestly.
    This is Exactly why cops are trained to shoot to kill, all the news about people running away and the cops shooting them and end up dying, its because they are not allowed to shoot the perp in the legs to slow them down. Because by the letter of the law, the person that gets shot can sue, and the department loses case after case after case, So in the end, they way it goes, stop running or i'm going to shoot, if you don't stop... there is a really good chance your gonna die. end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoek1 View Post
    This is Exactly why cops are trained to shoot to kill, all the news about people running away and the cops shooting them and end up dying, its because they are not allowed to shoot the perp in the legs to slow them down. Because by the letter of the law, the person that gets shot can sue, and the department loses case after case after case, So in the end, they way it goes, stop running or i'm going to shoot, if you don't stop... there is a really good chance your gonna die. end of story.
    Police departments are not losing law suites left and right for using their guns.

I'm pretty sure most people are taught to aim for center mass because you're more likely to actually hit the person, among other reasons.

Police departments are not losing law suites left and right for using their guns.
    just a simple google search turns this up

https://www.pfoa.co.uk/110/shooting-to-wound

This is one of the dumber things I've read in my lifetime. Cops aren't trained to shoot to kill to avoid lawsuits, they're trained to shoot to kill because the most effective way to disable an attacker is also the most effective way to kill them, shots to center mass. Cops also aren't trained to shoot fleeing suspects, some do, but a suspect that is fleeing and does not pose a threat to the officer or someone else should not be shot at.
    Last edited by Deathquoi; 2016-02-29 at 07:47 PM.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Do we know anything about the intruder? Does he live in the area? Any reasonable excuse for being on your property?

Going to add another vote for documenting everything and at least getting lawyer advice. Don't get your dog destroyed because of a fuckbag and American courts that can be ridiculously stupid (especially if you're in the south).

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitw2636 View Post
    Do we know anything about the intruder? Does he live in the area? Any reasonable excuse for being on your property?
    Don’t know anything just yet, but there’s nobody that was authorized to be on my property that doesn’t live in my house.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

apparently your dog is not very well trained at all --- attacks on people are grounds for killing it

any reason why it was not tied to something inside your property?

what if it had been a child from the neighborhood trying to retrieve a ball or something they accidentally dropped in your property.... wouldnt want to be around that thing...

Quote Originally Posted by wowaccounttom View Post
    apparently your dog is not very well trained at all --- attacks on people are grounds for killing it
    Many dogs are bred and trained specifically to guard.

To counter your scenario (which would absolutely be tragic), I wonder how many dogs throughout human history have saved innocent children from criminal intruders?

what if it had been a child from the neighborhood trying to retrieve a ball or something they accidentally dropped in your property.... wouldnt want to be around that thing...
    Did you read the OP at all?

My dog was inside my locked home. In order to gain access to the dog, you need to break into my home or my garage. I don’t think a child wandering into my yard is going to suddenly encounter Cujo bursting through the wall of the garage like the fuckin Hawaiian punch guy.
    CPU: Intel i7 3770K Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO GPU: 2X Asus GTX 770 OC SLI Heatsink: Hyper 212 EVO RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 1600mhz SSD: 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO HDD: WD 2tb Caviar Black PSU: Corsair HX850 Case: CM HAF 932 Advanced

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    This gets misinterpreted all the time. You should read the case. They were serving coffee at extremely high temperatures. They It caused 3rd degree burns to her thighs and permanent scarring because they failed to put the lid on right I believe. Its not like she took a sip of coffee that was too hot and then sued.
    There is a difference between coffee that is hot and coffee that causes 3rd degree burns on contact. The fact that coffee is still served at nearly 200 degrees F at McDs and Starbucks amazes me

- - - Updated - - -

who the fuck keeps their dog tied up at night in their own house? the guy wasn't in his yard he broke into the guys house

Deleted
    if the dog is so well trained, then why did he not just shoot the intruder ?

Seriously though, I would speak to the trooper see what his take is on the matter, then speak to a lawyer. But if it was down to me then good old chester would be getting a massive bone and a steak for dinner

The guy had no right to be on your property, in your garage without your consent.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    I can control him just fine, as well as any member of my household. What I said was that I couldn’t control him physically; he’s way too big and strong. T
    So you can't control him, like I said.

My dog was inside my locked home. In order to gain access to the dog, you need to break into my home or my garage. I don’t think a child wandering into my yard is going to suddenly encounter Cujo bursting through the wall of the garage like the fuckin Hawaiian punch guy.
    Hawaiian Punch guy surfs, it's the koolaid guy that busts through walls.

Yo motherfucker, it's the KOOLAID guy. OH YEAH!

You should buy the dog a big cake

Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post

who the fuck keeps their dog tied up at night in their own house? the guy wasn't in his yard he broke into the guys house
    Actually he was in the garage, and nobody was home. He’s not allowed in the house when nobody is home because he’s also not allowed on the brand new couches. We are currently training him to not jump on the couches, but it’s tough because it’s a brand new rule, and he was allowed up there for the last 4 years. In the meantime until he’s trained, he has his bed, food and water in the garage when no one’s home.

Also, it’s a heated / cooled garage. Inb4 someone chimes in with some crazy animal cruelty bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Citation needed, or this is nation bashing and against the forum rules.
    Only nation bashing if it's Canada, Mexico, EU, or the Middle East.

On Topic:

State by state laws vary wildly on what would happen in the situation. Just like others have said, calling a lawyer to discuss it is typically free of charge and they'd be more familiar with laws in your particular state.

- - - Updated - - -

Yo motherfucker, it's the KOOLAID guy. OH YEAH!
    This. Hawaiian Punch guy(which is racist) just went up to people and punched them in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    So you can't control him, like I said.
    We’re arguing semantics here. Even medium sized dogs are too strong for most people to handle physically. Would you say the same thing if he was a 90lb Golden Retriever? I promise that a lot of people would have a very difficult time physically controlling a large male Golden, but they normally don’t need to.

I’m saying the same thing here. I have no need to physically control my dog, because he listens to me 100%. It’s part of the deal when you buy a large dominant dog; you need to train them well. If I didn’t have 100% confidence that I could control my dog through commands and leadership, I wouldn’t own this type of dog.