Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    "As you've almost certainly heard by now, the news regarding Sony's The Dark Tower adaptation is not good. After over a year's worth of production woes and what's turning out to be a fairly venomous response from critics (the film's currently sitting at an oof-inducing 21% on Rotten Tomatoes), things are not looking good for Sony's would-be franchise. So much so, in fact, that it wouldn't seem crazy to think that the studio's long-in-development Dark Tower TV series is all but guaranteed to be quietly dropped and never spoken of again.

And yet...

"As the long-awaited feature film take on The Dark Tower is poised to open at the box office, the potential TV series is taking a big step forward.

Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead) has been tapped to serve as showrunner on the TV adaptation of the ambitious Stephen King series. The TV take, envisioned as a straight-to-series project, is currently in its early stages and tapping a showrunner is the key first step."

That's The Hollywood Reporter insisting that, not only is the Dark Tower TV series not dead, but that it's also hired The Walking Dead's Glen Mazzara to be the series' showrunner. This is the same Dark Tower series which will allegedly be based on Wizard And Glass, and serve as a prequel to the film franchise. THR goes on to say that no network is yet attached to the production, but that cable networks and streaming services are being eyed for the job.

Will the Dark Tower TV show actually happen? It's honestly difficult to imagine, but I suppose it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility. Of course, this is what should've been done with the property in the first place (something I took pains to mention in my review of the film), and with that being the case one can't help but feel a faint glimmer of hope that someone might actually do it right this time. But given how poisonous the reaction to the film's been, this writer finds it difficult to imagine the studio shelling out the money for 10-13 more hours' worth of Dark Tower content at this time."

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/...take-from-here

imo the third season of walking dead was the best one outside of amc medddling with the finale and forcing them to keep the governor alive due to fans liking him so much. im pretty interested in seeing what he can do with the dark tower
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The director ruined the movie. Did a piss poor job putting the story together then also mad it short because he said he didn't want to confuse viewers. This could have been so much better then it is.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feederino Senpai View Post
    Yeah, we've gone through that in the previous posts.

To be honest, it hardly matters that Roland is played by Idris Elba, he is an awesome actor. And as many critics and reviews have mentioned - Idris Elba is one of the few things that actually went right with the movie. So don't even take that route
    This. Idris Elba can play any freaking role and make it amazing. He played a Norse god described as the "whitest of the white" and made it amazing.

A movie, even a movie series is really to short to really do it justice. They should have just taken it to TV first. This would be an awesome series in the right hands. If HBO would pick it up I can see it as being another stunning series.

Oh man, an HBO series of the Dark Tower? That would have been amazing. And all 7 books are actually written beforehand, what can go wrong?!?

Although it'd be a bit weird in later seasons when SK himself shows up in the show - don't know if he's any good as an actor.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Oh man, an HBO series of the Dark Tower? That would have been amazing. And all 7 books are actually written beforehand, what can go wrong?!?

Although it'd be a bit weird in later seasons when SK himself shows up in the show - don't know if he's any good as an actor.
    See personally the whole SK appearance in the last books did not really bother me. I mean sure, its a bit weird, like someone talking in the third person, but it was not that terrible.

I mean for as popular as it its, George RR Martin's writing style is fucking terrible to me. I love GoT the show, the books are just... ugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    I mean for as popular as it its, George RR Martin's writing style is fucking terrible to me. I love GoT the show, the books are just... ugh.
    He's not as hard to read as someone like Tolkien, but I have to agree GRRM is one of the harder authors out there.

Honestly, I know I've said it before... But Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen really is everything GoT wishes it was... Everything that people say they enjoy about GoT is there, and done far better in BotF, and the writing (outside of the first book, which is pretty awful) is worlds better.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    He's not as hard to read as someone like Tolkien, but I have to agree GRRM is one of the harder authors out there.

Honestly, I know I've said it before... But Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen really is everything GoT wishes it was... Everything that people say they enjoy about GoT is there, and done far better in BotF, and the writing (outside of the first book, which is pretty awful) is worlds better.
    Funny you mention this, because I just finished Midnight Tides today. This book actually made me put the series down for a while. Not that the book itself is bad, but I was not interested in a new set of characters/continent at first.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dwightyo39 View Post
    Funny you mention this, because I just finished Midnight Tides today. This book actually made me put the series down for a while. Not that the book itself is bad, but I was not interested in a new set of characters/continent at first.
    Yeah, Midnight Tides is an odd one... It comes totally out of the blue and seems to be of no reference to anything. Trust me though, it ties back into the main plot in the next book, which is back to the usual characters.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    This. Idris Elba can play any freaking role and make it amazing. He played a Norse god described as the "whitest of the white" and made it amazing.
    These were my thoughts exactly. I loved him in Rock n' Rolla. He was the only strong point of this film.

I almost burst into laughter when McConaughey blocked the bullets with the glass, he looked so silly.

the tv series will be a total reboot starting from scratch

"You’re now on the other side of The Dark Tower, a movie that was so long in the making but didn’t completely work. What was the challenge there?"

"The major challenge was to do a film based on a series of books that’s really long, about 3,000 pages. The other part of it was the decision to do a PG-13 feature adaptation of books that are extremely violent and deal with violent behavior in a fairly graphic way. That was something that had to be overcome, although I’ve gotta say, I thought [screenwriter] Akiva Goldsman did a terrific job in taking a central part of the book and turning it into what I thought was a pretty good movie. The TV series they’re developing now … we’ll see what happens with that. It would be like a complete reboot, so we’ll just have to see."

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/steph...the-stand.html
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the tv series will be a total reboot starting from scratch
    That's the best news I've heard in a while!

Now the big question though... Will they cast it book accurate, or film accurate?

That's the best news I've heard in a while!

Now the big question though... Will they cast it book accurate, or film accurate?
    last we heard idris and the kid who payed jake were contracted to do the show.

if its a reboot who knows if the plan is still to base it around wizard and glass or not, if its not that would likely be more than the limited appearances they were contracted for, if its starting with book one it would also be too expensive to redo their contracts.

personally if i were doing it id do it like arrow and take all the stuff from wizard and glass, the comic books, and wind through the keyhole and have them be flashbacks interspersed throughout the series

10+ Year Old Account
    last we heard idris and the kid who payed jake were contracted to do the show.
    If they make the show based on Wizard and Glass and they use adult Roland, I will legitimately be so angry, blood will shoot from my eyes.

If they make the show based on Wizard and Glass and they use adult Roland, I will legitimately be so angry, blood will shoot from my eyes.
    well idris wouldnt have been the main star, it wouldve been cameo appearances at the beginning/ends of episodes (or so they said)

basically the tv show was meant to be inbetween the first movie and the next movie and be about roland telling jake about his past so it wouldve been wizard and glass and occasionally idris elba says some stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    basically the tv show was meant to be inbetween the first movie and the next movie and be about roland telling jake about his past so it wouldve been wizard and glass and occasionally idris elba says some stuff
    That could work. Have each episode, or maybe each other episode, have a "bookend" where Roland talks at the fireside with Jake, and sets up the episode, answers questions etc.

Although, seeing as the film died a worse death than Mordred, I honestly think they need to just pretend it didn't happen, and start from scratch with the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The director ruined the movie. Did a piss poor job putting the story together then also mad it short because he said he didn't want to confuse viewers. This could have been so much better then it is.
    One more example of hollywood getting their hands on an amazing story and butchering it in order to dumb it down for some theoretical 12 year old that can't understand basic concepts.

The Dark Tower should never have been a single movie. They wanted so badly to cram it into their stupid action film format that they failed to recognize that there's simply too much character and world development for it. At the very least it should have been a trilogy, filmed all at once like they did with Lord of the Rings. At best it should have been an HBO series spread out over the course of several seasons.

The movie was a cash-in on the series popularity. Nothing more.

That could work. Have each episode, or maybe each other episode, have a "bookend" where Roland talks at the fireside with Jake, and sets up the episode, answers questions etc.

Although, seeing as the film died a worse death than Mordred, I honestly think they need to just pretend it didn't happen, and start from scratch with the show.
    hopefully if they intend to keep it as a "sequel" they'll actually mention the fucking horn, and hopefully somewhere like netflix gets a hold of the show. we know sony greenlit it and that glenn mazzara who did the walking deads 3rd season is showrunner but no network has been attached yet

10+ Year Old Account
    hopefully if they intend to keep it as a "sequel" they'll actually mention the fucking horn, and hopefully somewhere like netflix gets a hold of the show. we know sony greenlit it and that glenn mazzara who did the walking deads 3rd season is showrunner but no network has been attached yet
    If they could do a total reboot, that would be great. Total recast (I can't fuckin stand Mcconaughey), none of this sequel nonsense, just give us a really solid, high quality adaption of the books.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the necro, i just saw the movie on cable TV.

What a total piece of crap. Only enjoyable thing were the gun-fu scenes. The rest was just a laughable excuse to use the book universe and main elements.

Let's hope the TV adaptation does better in storytelling.
    /spit@Blizzard