Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New in the game/warlocks - best way to snapshot shadowburn?

Hey
    kinda new in game . got recruited by a friend .
    got Hunter and mage to 90 then i made a warlock (lvl 63) and fell in love.

im playing Destruction and i dont like affi

anyway. im trying to get better in the class , im using many addons like weakauras to track anything i need.

now i learned how powerful and important Shadowburn is - and how important it is to snap those adds to get embers for free.

but sadly i dont like/use any Nameplates addon so i have to keep switching targets and then Shadowburn if im lucky

i wonder- is there any way to get a notifaction above enemies to let me know i can shadowburn them ? so i will target them and insta shadowburn ?

if the only option is Nameplates - then i guess i'll have to get used to them and i would like an advice which ones would be perfect.

i also must add that beside shadowburn i dont need anything else to track . so lets say i must use nameplates i would like to see only Shadowburn and nothing else...

Thanks ! : )

Welcome to Warlock!

IMO, Nameplates are a must. I honestly don't know how people play without them. Tidy Plates is a nameplate addon that I think can change colour of the nameplates based on things like Agro or HP%. You can for example set them to turn a specific colour when in execute range.

I use two binds for Shadowburn. One is my original I used for years that Shadowburns my target, the second is one that shadowburns my mouse over target. Mouse over for Shadowburn and Havoc are a must. I dont have the macros handy, i'll post when I get home unless others here can toss some up. You dont need two binds, thats just how I have it.

If you are a new player to the game, I would recommend checking out ElvUI. The base setup will give you most everything you will need, and it is highly and easily customizable. Things like Boss frames as example are a great help.

I googled "Nameplate icon for shadowburn" and http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...help-requested came up. Someone recommends a couple addons for changing the color of nameplate based on % health. Sounds like a good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    Welcome to Warlock!

IMO, Nameplates are a must. I honestly don't know how people play without them. Tidy Plates is a nameplate addon that I think can change colour of the nameplates based on things like Agro or HP%. You can for example set them to turn a specific colour when in execute range.

I use two binds for Shadowburn. One is my original I used for years that Shadowburns my target, the second is one that shadowburns my mouse over target. Mouse over for Shadowburn and Havoc are a must. I dont have the macros handy, i'll post when I get home unless others here can toss some up. You dont need two binds, thats just how I have it.

If you are a new player to the game, I would recommend checking out ElvUI. The base setup will give you most everything you will need, and it is highly and easily customizable. Things like Boss frames as example are a great help.
    hey .
    thanks for the warm welcome
    i made my own ui which i will share later on to get feedback .
    i will install tidy plates as well to test it out , i plan to make the plates change color to warlock purple when monsters at 20%

also if u can share those mouse hover macros for both havoc/shadowburn that would be gr8

i just hope that when there are like 5-8 monsters the nameplates dont go crazy and mess up the screen because thats the reason i wanted to avoid name plates in the first place

- - - Updated - - -

a quick update
    i installed both tiday plates and kuinameplates but i liked tidy more.

i configured "healer health warning" in tidyplates
    and made full/medium health colors the same (green)
    and when enemy goes to 20% it changes to red so i know i can shadowburn it

i would like to get those hovermouse macros to see how it works
    i still need to test things in dungeons to see how it works.

i just wonder about few things.

for example - now because the tidyplates its hard to see my damage numbers because they show up right where the plates are.- any ideas how to fix that?
    and now i can see any debuffs i put on the targets- for example i can see my immolate timer !
    should i disabled the weakaura i use for immolate above my unit frames? or use both?

thx

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are other addons that can customise your damage numbers (http://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/mik...ng-battle-text for example)

However in my opinion, those big floating numbers just add to screen clutter and make it harder to see anything that is actually important. IMO the only numbers that should be on your screen during combat is hp% and Dot Timers (and stacks of Hand of Guldan, Conflagrate, Molten Core etc).

hey i must you guys something
    im already lvl 80 with the warlock and i wont lie im having a blast playing it

but i tried to play with the nameplates addons and combat text addons and i just could'nt stand how ugly and not comfort is it for me.
    so i deleted them both

im used to switch targets with tab and most times im lucky enough to switch to 20% target and shadowburn it

my question is - if you gonna tell me that without nameplates addon for shadowburn/havoc im gonna have trouble maxmize my lock damage or something like that

i think i will main an hunter instead or fury warrior :<

but if its possible to play and main as destru lock without those addons and still be very very strong as i am now i would main the lock ^^

please let me know what you guys think ! , thanks!!!

I'd say just stick it out, I doubt you'll be doing Mythic raiding and in Lehion they're removing Shadowburn as an execute anyway.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You will struggle maximising damage without some way of tracking who is in Shadowburn range. HOWEVER, you will struggle just as much with most classes, as a huge amount have Execute abilities. Warrior has Execute, Hunter has Kill Shot, Paladin has that hammer thing (Hammer of Wrath?) etc.

The most important part is probably a mouseover macro

#showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover, exists, harm, nodead] Shadowburn; Shadowburn

#showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover, exists, harm, nodead] Havoc; Havoc

even with default nameplates you can see who is getting low on health and mouseover them, but addons make these things much easier. Tidyplates also can change colour depending on if you have aggro or not (which makes tanking SO much easier), can change colour depending on class (very helpful in battlegrounds)

I would seriously think about just not displaying the combat text. Do you really need to know how hard each spell is hitting for? Can you actually pay attention to that information anyway? If you get a kick out of seeing big crits then you can use the combat text addon I linked above and make it only display crits, or only display damage over x ammount so that when you get a huge chaos bolt it pops up nice and big, but other than that you have no distracting numbers (very very distracting with a dot class especially)

hey , thanks for the macros!
    i tried to configure tidyplates and it was a mess.maybe i need to watch a video or something on how to configure it correctly.

and disabling the damage text might be good but then i cant even see if the enemy is immune/reflect/miss and such...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I personally use Shadow Unit Frames to display my target and my own name plate, and tidy plates to display mob nameplates. I have SUF configured to who damage numbers on the target frame, and it will also display absorb/evade etc on the target frame there.

Although tbh in PVE very few mobs are immune, you will not miss with the removal of hit rating as a stat, and only mobs that evade are ones that are resetting or bugged and only happens in questing really.

It is unfortunate, but it is pretty hard to play wow without a decent number of addons configured to your own preference, which can take a VERY long time!

Quote Originally Posted by nircc View Post
    my question is - if you gonna tell me that without nameplates addon for shadowburn/havoc im gonna have trouble maxmize my lock damage or something like that

i think i will main an hunter instead or fury warrior :<

but if its possible to play and main as destru lock without those addons and still be very very strong as i am now i would main the lock ^^

please let me know what you guys think ! , thanks!!!

To be more specific, I think its critical for any dps class to maximize damage. To use hunter as example, instead of Shadowburn mouseover you would have a Kill Shot mouseover. Instead of Havoc mouseover you would have Aimed Shot mouseover (for tier 4p and guaranteed crit on targets above 80%).

I used to tab target swap a lot, but its felt completely unreliable in WOD. Nameplates are extremely important imo

omg fellas
    i just finished a lvl 80 dungeons with the mousehover macros
    what a huge boost to dps!!!!
    so fun and strong

i will install tidyplates again later
    i must practice and find a good tidyplates setup!!!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent they work very well together since shadowburn only uses one charge or havoc unlike chaos bolt which uses 3. If you can make the mouseover macro's work without tidyplates then great! Personally I have used tidyplates for years now and simply cannot function without it, but that doesn't mean you can't make the standard unit frames work. I would say that tidyplates is only essential for tanks in 5-mans due to the ease of tracking if any dps have pulled aggro so don't get too hung up on that would be my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Viggers View Post
    Excellent they work very well together since shadowburn only uses one charge or havoc unlike chaos bolt which uses 3. If you can make the mouseover macro's work without tidyplates then great! Personally I have used tidyplates for years now and simply cannot function without it, but that doesn't mean you can't make the standard unit frames work. I would say that tidyplates is only essential for tanks in 5-mans due to the ease of tracking if any dps have pulled aggro so don't get too hung up on that would be my advice.
    im not using the glyph for havoc . is it a must ?
    because usually the monster i havoc dead b4 6 spells can hit
    so im using siphon life / the one that slow the monster without immolate and the one that change the 40% dmg reduction spell to 10% passive.

i still want to retry tidy plates because now even with the macros i have to guess and "gamble" which mob i should snapshot

i just need to configure tidyplates correctly ...

- - - Updated - - -

i want to share my UI with you guys to hear suggestions
    but for some reasons i need to "post" more in order to be able to post images here :<

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    post the link to the image but put a change the "xxxx.com" to "xxx com" and we can put the "." in ourselves.

The glyph of havoc can be useful on raid boss fights where the fight lasts a lot longer than you are used to while levelling, but only if you aren't very good at getting the timings correct. IF you play optimally the glyph is a very slight dps loss. Havoc lasts 14s, and has a 15s cooldown once you acquire the Enhanced Havoc perk at level 92+ making this even more true.

post the link to the image but put a change the "xxxx.com" to "xxx com" and we can put the "." in ourselves.

The glyph of havoc can be useful on raid boss fights where the fight lasts a lot longer than you are used to while levelling, but only if you aren't very good at getting the timings correct. IF you play optimally the glyph is a very slight dps loss. Havoc lasts 14s, and has a 15s cooldown once you acquire the Enhanced Havoc perk at level 92+ making this even more true.
    i will send u a PM with my ui

- - - Updated - - -

pic upload

got it to work!
    Last edited by nircc; 2016-03-04 at 08:28 PM.

Use Tidy Plates, learn to love Tidy Plates.
    Seriously I was always on the "immersion breaking" bandwagon with enemy nameplates but now I've got used to them I can't turn them off, it's just too damn useful having that information (aggro status\health\your debuffs) showing over every mob in a pull. Makes it easy to switch to a different mob for an execute snipe, makes it easy to track how the pull is going so you know whether to blow a CD or not, makes it easy to see which mobs you might pull with undirected AE (I use them as my Barrage safety) basically I cannot say anything bad about having them on.

Quote Originally Posted by FertsBlert View Post
    Use Tidy Plates, learn to love Tidy Plates.
    Seriously I was always on the "immersion breaking" bandwagon with enemy nameplates but now I've got used to them I can't turn them off, it's just too damn useful having that information (aggro status\health\your debuffs) showing over every mob in a pull. Makes it easy to switch to a different mob for an execute snipe, makes it easy to track how the pull is going so you know whether to blow a CD or not, makes it easy to see which mobs you might pull with undirected AE (I use them as my Barrage safety) basically I cannot say anything bad about having them on.
    thats sound gr8 , but i just keep having trouble configure tidyplates .

i will search for some videos tomorrow to find more info on how i should configure them .

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    UI looks pretty nice. Can you show a link of one in combat as well? That is what really matters.

I'm ashamed too say it, but your ui look alot cleaner and more planned out than mine :P and I been playing warlock seens mop at a mythic lvl..