Deleted

[arcane] how much haste?

Hey... I'm kinda confused, how much haste do arcane mages need? I'm 738 with 4p set and class trinket and using unstable magic on most fights... is 2100 enough? Should i go for more or just hit 2100 and then enchant/gem anything over to mastery? Thank you!

Deleted
    Shouldn't you be at a skill and item level, where you don't need any help?

It all depends on the encounter and your talent use. Haste will increase your pure single target (a bit Multitarget too), Mastery will increase your single target and Multitarget Dmg. Some mages take 2100 haste some tqake 1800 haste and rest into mastery..... try for your self, depending on which encounter you are progressing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2Atronach View Post
    Shouldn't you be at a skill and item level, where you don't need any help?
    Mage is my 5th alt and I've always played frost, started arcane few weeks ago since for archimonde it's pretty much a must to go arcane or fire.

It all depends on the encounter and your talent use. Haste will increase your pure single target (a bit Multitarget too), Mastery will increase your single target and Multitarget Dmg. Some mages take 2100 haste some tqake 1800 haste and rest into mastery..... try for your self, depending on which encounter you are progressing.
    Well obviously I dont plan to change enchants/gems every time I do a different boss. :P I usually go unstable magic (and supernova on kormrok and maybe I should on xhul as well, not sure, been doing xhul without so far). Top 11 bosses are not a problem anyway, I'm wondering what is the best haste (and talents as well) for mannoroth and archimonde mythic?
    Thank you!

PS I guess archimonde is the biggest problem here, and since the biggest issue there is to push it fast into p2/p3 and kill infernals, single target should be preferred over multitarget... yes? Is there a cap limit to haste since u said this is the best star for single target? I can go over 2100 or its pointless?
    Last edited by mmoca542e793be; 2016-03-03 at 11:55 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    From everything I've gathered from conversation between other mages, 2100 is all you need with unstable. I've had some people say the true number is 2070, but and at most say 2150. There hasn't been much venturing into 2100+ far enough for other haste caps
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Deleted
    There is no "magic" 1800 or 2100 breakpoints for haste, it all depends how long fight will last, is it single or multitarget and so on. Best way is to actually sim your character.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokrei View Post
    There is no "magic" 1800 or 2100 breakpoints for haste, it all depends how long fight will last, is it single or multitarget and so on. Best way is to actually sim your character.
    Let's put it this way: for xhul, manno and archi mythic... what would u use for each of them?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rinelki View Post
    Let's put it this way: for xhul, manno and archi mythic... what would u use for each of them?
    More mastery imo, so 1800.

I think what was suggested earlier already is that it isn't fixed and depends on your raid and you should take the numbers (here your predicted killtime for example) that are true for your strategy and composition and maybe plug them into simcraft if you want to have a guideline.
    You can fill very different roles in each of these fights and your raid can take very different approaches to it which will lead to different fight lengths. For example I just recently killed mythic mannoroth on my mage in a guild using 2 tanks and 3 healers. It took us ~5:30. In another group on my hunter that I got to participate in they had chosen to go 3 tanks, 5 healers and the rest dps. The fight therefore lasted around 8:30. Both 1st kills for the respective groups but very different.

That said your gameplay (& some rng) in general will have a larger impact on your performance on any of these fights than 300 secondary stats that are differently distributed between haste and mastery or another stat.

On mannoroth specifically you may opt to tank the boss in the center of the plattform and everything will be nicely clumped with the boss every time. This would favor supernove I presume but if aoe is being handled by demonology warlocks or fury warriors reliably you may not need to do that as it would be overkilling those imps and more pure single target dps would get your raidgroup further. Other groups may not have them stacked neatly with everything which would devalue supernova as well.

On another talent tier you may try to immune every curse of doom to skip doomlords as a competing guild did. They didn't have a single doomlord on their recent first kill. In this case you'd spec into evanesce. Not very reliable to pull off if you are not blessed with very specific comps but great if it does work and more power to you.
    In my mage's group we opted to soak 4 of the 5 wrath of gul'dan via ice block simultaneously the first time wrath goes out so this would make you spec ice floes and anything in tier 60 as speccing into evanesce and ice block are mutually exclusive.

Similiarly on xhul you can consider different talents depending on whether you are on black hole or chain baiting duty.
    Last edited by Deiae; 2016-03-06 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rinelki View Post
    Exactly the same stats as the other 10 bosses. The gains to be made by worrying about secondary stats are small.

For example. My DPS with all Mastery enchants, all haste and all vers....

-300 dps is nothing. An extra crit here or there would produce the same variance.

Reading this thread makes me die inside.