Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Larsadius Rex's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Getting real sentimental about WoW

Been getting the urge lately to come back (quit a few months ago due to no content and the game just generally not making me happy anymore). I even logged on and almost renewed my sub, but stopped and watched a few gameplay videos of both live and legion alpha to remind myself that I'll just be wasting my time and that I'll end up in the same boat I always do. Anyone else find themselves in this position? I play hots and see arthas and uther etc. but have to remind myself it's not like that anymore. This feeling sucks xD
    -----------------------------------------------
    “It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jaemeson Foster View Post
    Been getting the urge lately to come back (quit a few months ago due to no content and the game just generally not making me happy anymore). I even logged on and almost renewed my sub, but stopped and watched a few gameplay videos of both live and legion alpha to remind myself that I'll just be wasting my time and that I'll end up in the same boat I always do. Anyone else find themselves in this position? I play hots and see arthas and uther etc. but have to remind myself it's not like that anymore. This feeling sucks xD
    Happens once in a while, especially when friends ask me to return with them. Usually doesn't last long and quickly goes away just before slapping sense into my friends.

Understandable.

But at this point of the expansion the only things that are left to do:
    - farming HFC week after week to get minor/ring upgrades (unless you're still progressing)
    - preparing for Legion (gold farming, leveling/gearing alts, etc.)
    - doing stuff you wouldn't do otherwise out of pure boredom (old content, achievements, PVP, pet battles (ugh...), whatever)

If you're fine with this, go for it. If not, better wait until Legion pre-patch.

Currently, I only farm HFC 1-2 days per week and play the garrison/AH to make some more gold until Legion and to keep my Token-subscription rolling.

Psssh....I've started on that level 60 server that everyone's talking about, though...
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

I deleted the game, removed battle.net and deleted my custom UI amongst other permanent measures to ensure I would never, ever come back no matter what they claim to offer in the future. I recommend doing the same.

retired, another victim of warlords of draenor

Quote Originally Posted by Libretto View Post
    I deleted the game, removed battle.net and deleted my custom UI amongst other permanent measures to ensure I would never, ever come back no matter what they claim to offer in the future. I recommend doing the same.
    This

Also just wait for legion if you want to come back, right now WoW has absolutely nothing to offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will fail. You left your account, your characters, gold and history in place. Delete EVERYTHING- give the gold away, vendor your gear and delete the characters so you have nothing left to go back to when you inevitably break
    Wrath baby and proud of it

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    That's what caused me to resub not long ago, along with getting the moose.

You've just got to resist, there are better games out there, WoW does nothing perfectly.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're still posting here though weeks after you did all of this which means you haven't really let go yet. To truly let go, you do all those things you did and put it out of your mind, not make several posts a day about how done you are. Which is, frankly, a low on credibility stance. You're not done at all when you visit here nearly every day and talk about the game.

@JF: The game is fine to dip in and out of for a couple of months at a time. If you think you have a few things to do before Legion and have any interest in it them come back maybe a month before launch. I've suspended my subscription for the time being and will pick it back up a couple of weeks before Legion launch. It's not a big deal.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Was it that bad of an addiction? I personally see nothing wrong with coming back for a few months every few years after "leaving the game". Unless, of course, it's hurting your personal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaemeson Foster View Post
    Yes, I found myself in the same position twice after I unsubbed. Wanted to come back, thankfully, managed to hold my hand before resubbing in order to make a plan - composing the plan required checking what's new and how things are, and during these checks the desire to come back died both times (and quick).

There's nowhere to return. It's sad, but it's going to be worse if you find out after you resub.

You'll miss the game until you log in and realize how pointless it feels right now. There's nothing to actually return to, unless you just want to stand around alone in your garrison and look at your character or enter Hellfire Citadel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    @JF: The game is fine to dip in and out of for a couple of months at a time.
    One could argue that this is the way to go about playing World of Warcraft these days. Continued subscription is essentially pointless, as the content cycles are too few and never really built to last.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Yes, I found myself in the same position twice after I unsubbed. Wanted to come back, thankfully, managed to hold my hand before resubbing in order to make a plan - composing the plan required checking what's new and how things are, and during these checks the desire to come back died both times (and quick).

There's nowhere to return. It's sad, but it's going to be worse if you find out after you resub.
    Composing a plan to play a game, yeah.. that doesn't sound crazy at all..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    One could argue that this is the way to go about playing World of Warcraft these days. Continued subscription is essentially pointless, as the content cycles are too few and never really built to last.
    This is how me and most of the people I still play with play the game at the moment.
    I don't see anything wrong with that, I fill my time in between with Diablo 3 seasons, some league of legends (finally made it back into silver! eugh), some hearthstone when new things come out and playing some old school strategy games.

WoW doesn't hold me down as the only game to play like it used to back in Vanilla, TBC but that is ok.
    I was also in my teens back then and a fully functioning adult now, things change.

I am definitely in exact position but I think I will go for it today. I even checked ultimate visual guide (a visual book) yesterday.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I am definitely in exact position but I think I will go for it today. I even checked ultimate visual guide (a visual book) yesterday.
    Just don't stand in your garrison all day, you really have to make the game more social your self.
    Thats what keeps getting me to unsub because I am to lazy to leave my garrison :P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    This is how me and most of the people I still play with play the game at the moment.
    I don't see anything wrong with that, I fill my time in between with Diablo 3 seasons, some league of legends (finally made it back into silver! eugh), some hearthstone when new things come out and playing some old school strategy games.
    I think a lot of people struggle with this, particularly long-term players (I do), because they expect better. Paying a subscription for a game should mean a good provision of longer lasting content that keeps you subscribed, and many players are simply terrified of missing out on something that may well be miniscule in the grand scheme of things – thus, they’ll stay subscribed for that reason alone which just isn’t worth the money.

I subscribe intermittently because of the sunk cost fallacy, but it’s a step in the right direction for me to unsubscribe and play other games when World of Warcraft has nothing going on… Such as now. I enjoy Guild Wars 2 for my MMORPG fix, while also enjoying the story-related aspects of Star Wars: The Old Republic. You’ll often catch me deck-tinkering in Hearthstone, lolzing around on my Diablo 3 demon hunter, and I spend a lot of time doing other things away from video games.

Ultimately, I think that’s the secret – finding something else to fill the time that used to be filled by World of Warcraft, and then simply unsubscribing when there’s nothing for you to do. I still feel it’s entirely appropriate to hold Blizzard to account for their lack of live content support, because it’s gotten absolutely terrible, but being able to disassociate from the fact that you’re bored actually makes your view of the subject more objective.

Alas, few can really cut the apron strings entirely and most attempts to cold turkey are doomed to failure. Personally, I reckon most people that quit for good just do so gradually because other things start to demand their time and one day they wake up, and realise that World of Warcraft isn’t worth the effort to fit into an otherwise busy life.

Just my two pence.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    You're still posting here though weeks after you did all of this which means you haven't really let go yet. To truly let go, you do all those things you did and put it out of your mind, not make several posts a day about how done you are. Which is, frankly, a low on credibility stance. You're not done at all when you visit here nearly every day and talk about the game.
    According to my post history, the last post I made on these forums was 5 days ago. And to be quite honest, I've never claimed to "let go". The state of the game that I invested a lot of time in and considered a hobby for a time left me quite unhappy, so I occasionally post my opinion on the subject or debate with people here and there as appropriate. As an unhappy customer, I tell people about my poor experiences with the company or its product - you would likely never tell someone who got bad food or service at a restaurant to "let go" and stop talking about it, or accuse them of having poor credibility because they do so. Feel free to do the same to the other thousands of posters on these forums who have also unsubbed or quit entirely and post about it, you'll be doing a lot of typing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    snip.
    I do agree that the game is not like it used to be, but on the other hand I am glad it isn't.
    If I would be playing like I used to.. id probably be losing my mind :P.

In my opinion Blizzard tried to attract even more groups of people and deluded the game more and more with every expansion.
    What made WoW great once is still there but they just trew so much useless shit in there that I personally dislike.
    For me pet battles are a giant waste of time, its still content but I will never use it.
    Same for Challenge modes, LFR and other raid tiers since I stopped raiding and a couple of other things.

So there might be more then enough content out there for me, nothing really appeals to me at this stage.

If they went back to the roots with - good raids, 10/12 good dungeons with replay ability (valor upgrades or whatever) with a few reputations that I could farm in dungeons (tabard) then Id be very happy.
    Release a few more bits and pieces in the mean time till the next exp and Id probably stay subbed for a good portion.
    Not because its more content, but its content id actually would enjoy doing (sending my butterfly to kill a rat is not my kind of fun in an MMO).

As I said, I understand you blame blizzard and to a certain degree you should but this community and the people that are in the game have changed quite a lot as well.
    The kind of people I used to play with are very few and far in between at this stage.

Anyway, im rambling time to head to the LoL forums and have a looksie around there!

Quote Originally Posted by FragmentedFaith View Post
    You will fail. You left your account, your characters, gold and history in place. Delete EVERYTHING- give the gold away, vendor your gear and delete the characters so you have nothing left to go back to when you inevitably break
    "Other permanent measures" covers this. Believe me, it's gone. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Was it that bad of an addiction? I personally see nothing wrong with coming back for a few months every few years after "leaving the game". Unless, of course, it's hurting your personal life.
    There was a period of time when I spent what I would consider too much time playing the game at the expense of other hobbies or social life, though that is long past and I don't blame WoW or Blizzard for that. Regardless, in order to "come back every few years" I would have to purchase expansions I am missing and game time, and I feel burned enough by the company to not wish to buy anything else from them.
    Last edited by Libretto; 2016-03-04 at 09:34 AM.

Deleted
    According to my post history, the last post I made on these forums was 5 days ago. And to be quite honest, I've never claimed to "let go". The state of the game that I invested a lot of time in and considered a hobby for a time left me quite unhappy, so I occasionally post my opinion on the subject or debate with people here and there as appropriate. As an unhappy customer, I tell people about my poor experiences with the company or its product - you would likely never tell someone who got bad food or service at a restaurant to "let go" and stop talking about it, or accuse them of having poor credibility because they do so. Feel free to do the same to the other thousands of posters on these forums who have also unsubbed or quit entirely and post about it, you'll be doing a lot of typing.
    Because people that had bad food would write a review and that be that.
    Or are you still on the website of that restaurant you had some disgusting food in every 5 days writing a review how bad it was 12 months ago?

And there are not thousands of people moaning and whining, its a handful of people.
    You see the same names every day.

Most people would move on after they had a bad experience with a product (I did the same with Apple, the brand of kitchen knives I had, SWTOR, the new settlers and DOTA).