Question Updating BC and Cata content on Azeroth.

TL;DR While BC content on Azeroth is outdated, is it viable for Blizzard to spend the time updating low level areas which most players will only see for an 4 hours, tops (lv1-20)? It may be a good segue for story and content progression.

I agreed with the initial reason behind keeping the lands in BC story, but at this point (anything past MoP because of faction changes and how they operate) the land has also changed significantly. From another troll invasion to several world wars which the Blood Elves and Draenei have helped back. On top, with a world destructive cataclysm and a troll invasion (during cata), the lands surely would have changed by now. Their culture and base of operations has changed. Their population is larger and the Branei+BE have intermingled so much it is strange how they both feel like they just got here.

Now I feel it can be argued that if BC content were to be changed to the Legion Azeroth, Cata would need to too. I don't necessarily think this is true. The BC worlds just need to reflect the Cata world since the Cata Azeroth has not necessarily changed geographically or even politically all that much (minus the wars mentions before).

I feel it would be great if the Draenei and the Blood Elves could join the world again. This would reboot their stories since they mostly fell off lore wise once BC ended (modern lore, not increasing backstory). It would also allow a segue such as helping the Exodar to be operation to go back into space or finally clearing out SMC of undead. Gnomergan was cleared out sooner than SMC was, and that took a long time!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by The3rdCatalyst; 2016-03-04 at 05:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They spent a huge amount of time and effort updating the old world for Cataclysm and most people zipped right through it. They've even said that in hindsight they wish that effort had gone into the 85-90 content instead.

So I don't imagine this will happen anytime soon.

Also, AU or not, draenei got a huge amount of attention in WoD. Their presence in the story is the reason that they (and ultimately, blood elves) had their models redone along with the classic/vanilla races, instead of at a later point as initially planned.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see some updated questing areas like Silvermoon being rebuilt and gnomergan turned into a city and perhaps turning Gineas into a dungeon to show how things have been progressing, and of course seeing areas like the dreani starting areas and Blood elves areas change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    They spent a huge amount of time and effort updating the old world for Cataclysm and most people zipped right through it. They've even said that in hindsight they wish that effort had gone into the 85-90 content instead.

So I don't imagine this will happen anytime soon.

Also, AU or not, draenei got a huge amount of attention in WoD. Their presence in the story is the reason that they (and ultimately, blood elves) had their models redone along with the classic/vanilla races, instead of at a later point as initially planned.
    I agree they gave 1-60 too much attention, but it was because they made way too many quests. You can do 1/3 of the quests and level out the zone, ironically it was the opposite before the change. But geographically and story wise it was right where it should be. Less quests would have allowed the player to enjoy the world. Leveling would have been a little slower, but the leveling process would be so much more enjoyable if it is savored.
    -------------------------------------------
    Having that said, I am also talking about building new content that is not necessarily going to be zipped through, but additional high level content.

For the BEs I am talking about the Horde and Argent Crusade go into clearing out the scar while killing off any remaining undead forces in the north. Alliance would assist with the Argent Crusade and Horde with Horde forces. While doing this the Horde tries to build up some buildings to carry out future BE industry. While this is happening the Argent crusade sets out to recover undead and BE artifacts that have been recovered. Story segues from there to bigger things for Horde and Alliance.

For the Draenei, they want to make the Exodar operational again for a plan B scenario if they so needed to leave Azeroth because of another full-scale invasion. The Horde spies hear about this and go on a reconnaissance, hired by Gallywix, to steal Dranei schematics if he needed to make his own evacuation ship on that scale. While on this mission the Horde would learn about future Alliance plans. For the Alliance, they also learn more future plans about the Alliance, increasing Dranei industry to be less tribal (cultural shift).

These are off-the cuff ideas, but you get the idea on how this can be a viable event to update old content while enjoying it, like Gnomergan was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since we are running out of new zones to adapt, we COULD use phasing tech no make zones usable twice. Revamp Outland for 58-68 questing and throw in more quests for 110-120 or whatever. Instead of burning through 100 bland zones we can actually spend some time in and love a select few for longer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The3rdCatalyst View Post
    I agree they gave 1-60 too much attention, but it was because they made way too many quests. You can do 1/3 of the quests and level out the zone, ironically it was the opposite before the change. But geographically and story wise it was right where it should be. Less quests would have allowed the player to enjoy the world. Leveling would have been a little slower, but the leveling process would be so much more enjoyable if it is savored.
    I would like bigger and more lively world, but it would be waste of resources since everyone and their mothers wants to rush as fast as possible to max level

You want the world, and they only have cheese.

keeping a consistent and evolving world should be one of their top priorities.

a living, evolving world is something that adds so much life to the game. it makes it so much more than just a dick measuring contest that's not even fucking fun anymore, which is kinda what it is currently, with all the focus on raiding.

Without a strong design for level scaling and timeless content, no, there is no merit in going back to update the old zones, including the Belf/Draenei zones. It just doesn't make any sense when those areas are deserted, especially when the zones reach the level 10 and level 15 breakpoints where people go off to do pvp or dungeon queuespam to level.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

It is as if all of you read the title, then posted.

So if I'm gleaning your meaning well enough, you're concerned about the Draenei and Blood Elf starting areas being dated. The thing about that is they're even worse than you seem to know. Those areas involve doing the things that were relevant to the time period in which they were first added but dialog and the introductory cinematic imply they take place after the death of Arthas.

Even worse: The Draenei have a Pandaren monk trainer who describes seeing the Exodar fall from the sky.
    Quote Originally Posted by The3rdCatalyst View Post
    It is as if all of you read the title, then posted.
    That's the standard for this forum.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    So if I'm gleaning your meaning well enough, you're concerned about the Draenei and Blood Elf starting areas being dated. The thing about that is they're even worse than you seem to know. Those areas involve doing the things that were relevant to the time period in which they were first added but dialog and the introductory cinematic imply they take place after the death of Arthas.

Even worse: The Draenei have a Pandaren monk trainer who describes seeing the Exodar fall from the sky.
    Oh, the horror! It is worse than I believed!
    But I think it goes beyond a thing of "well it would be nice" kind of thing. The Draenei did get a lot of love in WoD, but there is still a gaping hole in these two factions. They are sorta of there in the world, but not really, yet are one of the most played races. If there was made a phased questing progression to finish off rebuilding BE and Draenei lands much like the retake of Gnomergan, it would make these two factions relevant again. On top of that, I feel the value of these two events would be equal to 2 dungeons being released, but with more social-appreciation longevity for the game. X event happened is more valued than I ran X dungeon, in my opinion.

tl:dr Lore benefits as well more in-game appreciation than a dungeon or two added to the game. I believe this would be a net profit.