Poll: Do you believe the Ferguson Effect is real?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The high price of Black Lives Matter

Black Lives Matter, arriving in 2014 and expanding greatly in 2015 has made a pretty large impact in the media. It's no secret that the group has been met with hostility and has lost respect with most people (even on this site) during that time. How is this possible though? How has a group that states they are against police brutality towards blacks gotten such a bad reputation? There's a wide variety of choices:

- Demonizing police officers regardless of the evidence in trials
    - Rude behavior towards whites
    - Assaulting whites
    - Encouraging rioting and looting

That being said the biggest problem I think with Black Lives Matter is that through their actions and "beliefs", they've essentially made the communities they are acting in less safe. The accusations of racism do get public attention, often while BLM disregards evidence in individual cases and tries to lump up the organization of police as a whole as "racist", despite cases that involve black officers or cities that have a proportional number of black officers (such as Baltimore). By doing this, BLM has created an environment where cops are scared to do their jobs. An honest mistake can be misconstrued as "racism" and from there can get an officer fired, despite working in some of the most dangerous cities in the US. At the same time it appears BLM has made it unpopular for blacks to cooperate with the police. Because of this, the homicide rates have sky rocketed in many of the cities BLM has been most active in.

Take Baltimore for example:

2014 - 210 murders - (prior to the BLM protests)

http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2014/0...-list-and.html

2015 - 344 murders - the deadliest year in the history of Baltimore (the year Freddie Gray died and the BLM riots ensued)

http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2014/1...esmurders.html

2016 - 41 murders thus far, more murders have occurred at this point this year then the previous year, suggesting 2016 will be the new deadliest year

http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2016/0...-list-and.html

2015 for St. Louis (very close to Ferguson) was the most deadly year in the last 2 decades:

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsb...in-two-decades

Chicago in 2014 had 407 homicides:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...101-story.html

2015 Chicago had 488 homicides and just like Baltimore, the statistics suggest that 2016 will have more homicides then the previous year:

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/homicides

Cleveland (home to Tamir Rice and many BLM protests) had 88 homicides in 2013, 102 in 2014, and 120 in 2015.

The most recent statistics I've found for Cleveland (from January) also suggest 2016 will once again be more deadly then 2015:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/cleveland-h...rates/22989305

The end result: Black Lives Matter has weakened the police's ability to keep their communities safe and in most cases these homicide victims are black themselves, essentially Black Lives Matter is indirectly causing black people to be killed. Critics will say "correlation does not imply causation", however we've seen hundreds of law enforcement officials directly state that the "Ferguson Effect", as most call it, is very real.

Agree? Disagree?

Post your thoughts!

The news did a story about Baltimore and how they have destoryed the city and caused crime to sky rocket but it was quickly swept under the carpet. They even did a story about how majority of the city,gov,police are black and how they were protesting their own race but blaming whites but it was quickly swept under the rug. stats show alot of shit but are no match for stupid people.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always wondered where the narrative came from that cops were working oh so hard to protect inner cities until Ferguson (da da dun!) happend.

Before Ferguson, most police work was with the pastors that nobody gave a fuck about. And even then, that was a farce that burned brightly and dimmed out like a fire.

After Ferguson, it's pretty much the same. Nothing has changed.

Isn't that like blaming the smoke detector when a fire breaks out ?

These problems have been smoldering for a long time, the fact that they've gotten so bad its resulted in open rioting generally doesn't make itself conducive to a quick fix, so the momentum of crime and "less than effective police" will be hard to turn around.

And homicides being what they are, it seems like its more difficult than simply issuing some tickets to bring down the murder rate overnight. If people have no faith in their justice system, they'll find their own justice more readily.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    I always wondered where the narrative came from that cops were working oh so hard to protect inner cities until Ferguson (da da dun!) happend.

Before Ferguson, most police work was with the pastors that nobody gave a fuck about. And even then, that was a farce that burned brightly and dimmed out like a fire.

After Ferguson, it's pretty much the same. Nothing has changed.
    Basically. If cops can't do their jobs without fear they'll get in trouble for breaking the law then good riddance to those officers as far as I'm concerned.

Beyond that this is more correlation as causation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Basically. If cops can't do their jobs without fear they'll get in trouble for breaking the law then good riddance to those officers as far as I'm concerned.

Why is that a good thing? Looks like a bad thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Because cops shouldn't be afraid of getting in trouble for breaking the law because they ESPECIALLY shouldn't be breaking the fucking law. Unfortunately that's not the case in a plethora of instances where they get off scot-free because their job is "hard."
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Black Lives Matter*

*to non black people

Blacks murder blacks in alarming rates. Why do I as a white guy have to sit and listen about this one white cop who killed a guy was attacking him? If you care about Black Lives, look inwards, not outwards.

You are being murdered by your own. Almost all of the crimes happening to black people, are committed by black people.

Sorry, but, i've got enough to care about, without having to then to baby sit (thats what you're asking for, BLM, be honest.) an entire skin colour as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrayu View Post
    Black Lives Matter*

*to non black people

Blacks murder blacks in alarming rates. Why do I as a white guy have to sit and listen about this one white cop who killed a guy was attacking him? If you care about Black Lives, look inwards, not outwards.

You are being murdered by your own. Almost all of the crimes happening to black people, are committed by black people.

Sorry, but, i've got enough to care about, without having to then to baby sit (thats what you're asking for, BLM, be honest.) an entire skin colour as well.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

We as intelligent mammals are capable of addressing two issues at the same time.
    Games I'm playing right now (not necessarily literally):
    D3, CS:GO, TF2, Hearthstone
    Hit me up if you wanna play sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sister View Post
    Security at the cost of police violating civil rights isn't security.

- - - Updated - - -

Black Lives Matter*

*to non black people

Everyone is "murdered by their own".

And yes, red herring.

Its ok, Wells believes that there isnt a situation in the world that justifies police using deadly force against african americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    Its ok, Wells believes that there isnt a situation in the world that justifies police using deadly force against african americans.
    Stop making shit up.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Black Lives Matter*

*to non black people

Yeah, hard to babysit a race while actively killing it.

Yes we can address two problems at once, however I think what most people really have issue with is the manpower and attention is being given to the problem that one might consider the minor of the two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Stop making shit up.
    Well is there Wells?

Michael Brown seemed like the perfect case study for when deadly force is justified. Hell facts and numerous investigations backed it up too.
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.

If its a red herring, then explain to me the significance of BLM bringing race into it?

Unless they're suggesting black people kill each other because they hate other blacks, then I see no significance to it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well is there Wells?

Michael Brown seemed like the perfect case study for when deadly force is justified. Hell facts and numerous investigations backed it up too.
    I'll quote what I was replying to in case you're choosing to ignore that.

"Its ok, Wells believes that there isnt a situation in the world that justifies police using deadly force against african americans."
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Yeah, hard to babysit a race while actively killing it.
    Thats why i can't babysit it. My time is all taken up by my nights out murdering black people. I'm trying to clean up the 91% statistic for black on black murder a bit.

Well is there Wells?

And literally the only position I had on the case was that there was sufficient cause for a trial.

Of course the police can justifiably use force. That doesn't mean its always justified when they do. Stop asking stupid questions.

And literally the only position I had on the case was that there was sufficient cause for a trial.

Of course the police can justifiably use force. That doesn't mean its always justified when they do. Stop asking stupid questions.
    Ok I will bite, when is it justified. Do something besides patently disagree with and be hostile towards law enforcement.