Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    On top of this is the most absurd thing called "vote registration". How can the largest, richest so called democracy in the world not know where people live? Here in my country we see on our voting papers where we can go and when. If you live in the same area as last time you voted, you just go to where you last voted.
    Why is there this blatantly redundant step to voting?
    Presumably to reduce fraud, they've got the same thing here already which recently changed to individual registration. I think they were even going to fine people for not registering.

http://www.markpack.org.uk/27056/wha...egistration-2/

The current old electoral registration system is based on one registration form being delivered to each household, with the head of the household completing the form on behalf of everyone there and sending it back (“household registration”).

One reason therefore for switching to individual registration is a point of principle: someone’s ability (if they aren’t the head of a household) to vote shouldn’t be dependent on whether or not someone else has filled in a form for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Then they'd probably be Republicans anyway, so it's just as well.
    That is funny, it is always the Dems claiming the Pubs are trying "trickery" to prevent people from voting. I don't support the Pubs either, but "voting rights" is almost always a Dem issue. An ID! You can't require an ID to vote! That disenfranchises these poor people that (for some reason) can't obtain an ID (sound familiar?) Go ahead, tell those people they won 1,000$ an need an ID to claim it...... Watch how fast they produce an ID.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    we need to force people to vote. make it illegal not to, and charge people steep fines if they don't.

also make it illegal to write in a stupid choice, like cat or something. it has to be someone on the ballot.
    Well we get fined for not having insurance now so why not fine people for not voting also.

Dont agree with the second part tho, you should be able to write in anyone you want not just whoever the powers that be decide you should choose between.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Chocolate and cocaine come from the same plant, after all, and chocolate isn't illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing about affirmative action that is "racist".

Because thanks to anti voter fraud laws they are making it that much harder for people to vote. It is such a huge problem we have to make it next to impossible for people to vote! IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO ENSURE DEMOCRACY STANDS INTACT!

Deleted
    democracy in America is broken, not for the lower voter turnout though, the entire electoral system is hugely flawed. these videos are pretty trite, but they sum things up nicely:

15+ Year Old Account
    And btw United States is not a democracy. It is a Constitutional Republic.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Those who don't vote are content. Make them mad and they'll vote.
    Not entirely.

Some of those who don't vote are content.

Most of those who don't vote either see nothing worth voting for or are too busy due to the economy they are stranded in to even take the time to look at those running to vote or take the time off from their normal duties to do it.

This will actually be the first election I will have voted in since becoming old enough to vote as Bernie Sanders is quite literally the only candidate I have found running who actually seems worth voting for who might actually make it to the general elections.

I am 34 years old, my first 8 years at voting age real life kept me too busy between work, school and general survival to even think about that kinda stuff, the next 8 years I felt like I was throwing my vote away just by casting it given my choices.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbear View Post
    democracy in America is broken, not for the lower voter turnout though, the entire electoral system is hugely flawed. these videos are pretty trite, but they sum things up nicely:
    The system is fine, it always works out overall as long as the voting margin isn't razor thin.

7+ Year Old Account
    A lot of people don't pay attention or don't care.

Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darchi
    Thx America for destroying Europe and world and all mess you cause bcs of your selfishness and only thinking abot yourself and of your interest, creating IS, killing in the name of democracy, etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    It's doing fine. If your person doesn't win it's because their ideas were not good enough.
    Or because it conflicted with the ideas of those in power who made sure to lie, slander or ignore it to the point no one even knows what your message is. We have had plenty of good ideas ignored because they weren't popular to the establishment.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    we need to force people to vote. make it illegal not to, and charge people steep fines if they don't.

also make it illegal to write in a stupid choice, like cat or something. it has to be someone on the ballot.
    I thought torture was illegal and the information gained from it not deemed useful. How is forcing folks to vote any different?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Or because it conflicted with the ideas of those in power who made sure to lie, slander or ignore it to the point no one even knows what your message is. We have had plenty of good ideas ignored because they weren't popular to the establishment.
    What good ideas?

Our education system should prepare people to vote but it doesn't really. Most young people voting for Obama is proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    That is funny, it is always the Dems claiming the Pubs are trying "trickery" to prevent people from voting. I don't support the Pubs either, but "voting rights" is almost always a Dem issue. An ID! You can't require an ID to vote! That disenfranchises these poor people that (for some reason) can't obtain an ID (sound familiar?) Go ahead, tell those people they won 1,000$ an need an ID to claim it...... Watch how fast they produce an ID.
    Well since they could then afford to miss a day of work and go into debt purchasing the ID card as they will make up that lost money and time at work with that thousand dollars.

That argument of your is flawed from the start as the money offered fixes the main things that keeps them from getting it many times. That is like saying anyone can afford cosmetic surgery no matter how poor they are, just offer them a 10 million dollar job if they do and then watch how fast they get up the thousands of dollars it takes to get the surgery.

I'm having a look at voting turnouts for the last elections and parts of this one so far, and it's absolutely abysmal. How can anyone be called elected by the people when 48% eligible to vote in 2012 DIDNT?

Actually it was more like 45%, however you have to take into account how that percentage is determined.

It's determined just by taking the number of people who voted and dividing it into the number of people who are of [voting age] to vote.

This doesn't account for:

A) People who due to felony convictions aren't eligible
    B) The vast majority of senior citizens who don't vote for a variety of reasons, most of which is they don't care/aren't mentally all there to comprehend.
    Last edited by alexkeren; 2016-03-05 at 01:59 AM.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't think it's really trickery so much as plausible deniability on their part. If we're going to let people vote just by virtue of being a citizen over the age of 18, then we should stop bending over backwards to disenfranchise as many people as possible via indirect methods. If that's not what we want, then put into writing the new limits on who can vote. However, all of the fear mongering over voter fraud to hide their disenfranchisement policies is ridiculous. If they want to require an ID, then they should also make an actual effort to help people who do not have one obtain one.
    Citizen over 18... but how do we know who are citizens? No, seriously, without some way to identify folks how do we know who are citizens?

as far as Free ID...

Texas
    https://www.texastribune.org/2013/06...id-cards-week/

Alabama
    http://www.alabamavoterid.com/getfreephotovoterid.aspx

Wisconsin
    http://www.gab.wi.gov/node/1917

North Carolina
    http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/id/

Georgia
    http://www.dds.ga.gov/drivers/dldata...49371755&ty=dl

Mississippi
    http://msvoterid.ms.gov/

Rhode Island
    http://sos.ri.gov/divisions/elections/Voters/voter-id

Just to list a few.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm having a look at voting turnouts for the last elections and parts of this one so far, and it's absolutely abysmal. How can anyone be called elected by the people when 48% eligible to vote in 2012 DIDNT?
    Why is nobody in the US bringing up this horrendous failure? Is anyone going "Guys, what the fuck?"
    It's not an "error". They have the right to vote, but aren't required to. This way, only those interested in shaping the country actually get that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Nope, some people vote against a system they don't support by abstaining.
    Which is ridiculous and worse than ineffective. It directly contributes to the system you claim not to support.

It's the equivalent of wanting pizza for dinner at work, but the office is voting on whether they're ordering Thai, or deli subs. So rather than say "hey, what about pizza", you go back to your office and go hungry because fuck those guys.

Congrats, you gave up any chance for pizza without making any effort to bring it about, and now you're going hungry, to boot.

Vote for a third party candidate. Are they likely to win? No. If there's enough disenfranchisement, though, they can. If people vote.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    And btw United States is not a democracy. It is a Constitutional Republic.
    This is a pointless bit of semantics. It's a constitutional republic with a democratic elections process. When people say a country is a democracy, they mean it has a democratic process, not that it's a literal Athenian democracy, which hasn't existed since, well, Athens.

10+ Year Old Account
    - Make voting day a national holiday
    - Impose a $20 fee for not voting

Alaska called and said if it wasn't for the ability to write-in a candidate we would have had Miller instead of Murkowski as senator. It was already bad enough when Palin went batshit crazy after becoming governor (technically during that debacle of being a "VP" running mate. SMH)
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.

10+ Year Old Account

So you want to force people to vote for stuff that they don't care about. You don't think these people would just randomly pick choice or pick one out of spite because they're being forced to yote?

Resident Cosplay Progressive