Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i actually think monk is the easier of the melee now once you get positionals down. i may be biased though since it's my main.

every dps class got more difficult with heavensward though.

if you want something easy go with paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Cromatus View Post
    I haven't done the class quests since level 35 (either I missed it or nobody told me)
    Here's problem number one right here. You gotta do the class quests, which come every 5 levels (the game now gives a big wall of text alerting you to when you have class quests available). There are several skills that unlock only by doing the quests and generally they are pretty much essential to function at high/max level (BLM level 50 quest unlocks Flare, for example). While I don't have monk leveled up much (21 or 22, I forget), it's the same principle for every combat class I've leveled in this game.

For me personally I've found the following the easiest to play:
    Tank: Paladin
    Healer: White mage
    DPS: Machinist (Bard a close second)

The melee DPS classes I found a bit too complicated for my taste. Rotations which also require lots of movement and on top of that a lot of stuff you have to move out of to avoid death. There's just a lot of stuff to pay attention to.

There are certainly way more abilities than in WoW, I struggle to get them all on my hotbars where I can easily hit them.

Like people said, do your job quests every 5 levels and build up your rotation as you level.
    Wow has become way too oversimplified recently, and I found FF kind of goes the other way - it could do with some consolidation or replacing abilities. Keep at it though, once you get the hang of it it feels great.

Bard is my only main class so far at max level and its fairly simple (until the new expac job quests turned me into a caster - took some time to get used to!)

I find using a ps4 controller helps combat the large array of abilities. It's a lot more fluid and easier imo since you don't need a mass array of keybinds.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I find using a ps4 controller helps combat the large array of abilities. It's a lot more fluid and easier imo since you don't need a mass array of keybinds.
    I find it very cumbersome to use the controller, especially as a healer. I can not fit all the abilities I need in the limited space and have no interest in paging through 3-4 sets to find what I need at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I find it very cumbersome to use the controller, especially as a healer. I can not fit all the abilities I need in the limited space and have no interest in paging through 3-4 sets to find what I need at that time.
    If you can mesmerize all your 30+ keybinds you can remember what ability you need is where on the ps4 ability sets. And if you shuffle through all your sets instead of actually picking it then idk what to tell you lol
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If you customize the settings you can just swap between vars 1 and 2 then say hold l1 and then r1 to access the first half of a bar you specify

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    If you customize the settings you can just swap between vars 1 and 2 then say hold l1 and then r1 to access the first half of a bar you specify
    Yes, I know, that's still not enough for me, I have tried it. I looked up several guides on setting up a controller for FFXIV. I even made it so certain bars show in combat and others don't to help remove some of that clutter. No matter what I did it still felt clunky and wrong to me. Plus, I played SCH. Mouseover heal macros. Can't do that with a controller. I can not set up a macro that will throw a heal on my mouseover and have my fairy heal the tank at the same time. Hell, just targeting the right person for a heal takes too long with a controller IMO. I like the fact that the option is there and it does work surprisingly well, just not for me. Again, perhaps if I had used a controller when I first started playing I would be ok with it, but I got to end game first and then tried to use it and it was just too drastic of a change at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Doesn't Monk have any usefull AoE for trash? Because it's not listed in the graphic.
    It's in the "Applications of One-Ilm Punch" section, which is (in my opinion) the only section that isn't really clear, as it doesn't say if it's suggesting that you use One-Ilm Punch in front of each of those abilities (which doesn't make sense), or just being cheeky while listing the selection of situation abilities and their recommendations...which include calling One-Ilm Punch "trash."

Basically replace Snap Punch/Demolish with Rockbreaker, or use Arm of the Destroyer for 5+ enemies and/or need a silence instead of a stun (and be prepared to chew through TP).

Yeah rotations in this game are terribly designed, they are complicated for the sake of being complicated. I used to play Dragoon a class that already had many abilities in 2.0 and they just added 4 more, now you have like 20 dps buttons and a bunch of positional requirements for what? Most of the players you encounter in pugs have no idea what they're doing and do pretty mediocre dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    Yeah rotations in this game are terribly designed, they are complicated for the sake of being complicated. I used to play Dragoon a class that already had many abilities in 2.0 and they just added 4 more, now you have like 20 dps buttons and a bunch of positional requirements for what? Most of the players you encounter in pugs have no idea what they're doing and do pretty mediocre dps.
    Some are absolutely more complicated than the others, most of the melee jobs mainly. I found all the ranged jobs and Paladin to be quite simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    Some are absolutely more complicated than the others, most of the melee jobs mainly.
    I've been mostly playing NIN since I found that it's quite simple actually. I can just stand behind boss and DPS there, with only Armor Crush having slightly higher potency from flank.

Tried Monk earlier, but it was way too much dancing around the target for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    i actually think a lot of them are much better designed than WoW atm.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    i actually think a lot of them are much better designed than WoW atm.
    Agreed...

Ninja is personally my favorite at the moment. Really fun and involving job. Also more than Armor Crush benefit from positional requirements for Ninja ;P. Dragoon is a close second. Lots of stuff that I have to keep tracking during a busy encounter makes it fun. Bard is pretty decent too.

WoW on the other hand? They've really gutted a lot of classes in the last two expansions. I really miss my old Warlock.

no - but Dragoons rotation was hard for me at first. FFXIV has a more complicated rotation pattern than lets say WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Beardimus View Post
    no - but Dragoons rotation was hard for me at first. FFXIV has a more complicated rotation pattern than lets say WoW.
    I thought the 2.0 rotation was extremely simple once you got the skeleton of the rotation down. Weaving the off-gcd abilites in was really smooth. 3.0 introduced a lot more positional awareness. I don't mind that I need to move from back to side frequently, but I don't like that I don't know which it's going to be until right before I use the ability. I wish the 4th combo in the dragoon rotation wasn't random. That's my only complaint. Although I'm getting pretty close to my limit on comfortable keybinds. If they add new rotational abilities in 4.0 I'm going to have to figure something new out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeba View Post
    I thought the 2.0 rotation was extremely simple once you got the skeleton of the rotation down. Weaving the off-gcd abilites in was really smooth. 3.0 introduced a lot more positional awareness. I don't mind that I need to move from back to side frequently, but I don't like that I don't know which it's going to be until right before I use the ability. I wish the 4th combo in the dragoon rotation wasn't random. That's my only complaint. Although I'm getting pretty close to my limit on comfortable keybinds. If they add new rotational abilities in 4.0 I'm going to have to figure something new out.
    I've noticed this with a few classes in FFXIV. The classes are designed well, but they are slowly falling into the trap WOW fell into at the beginning - ability bloat. 2.0 was fine. 3.0 is still *mostly* ok but a couple classes are suffering from ability bloat. If they go the same route of leaving everything intact and adding new abilities in 4.0 there are going to be problems. I don't really know what they can do to fix it at this point. Part of the problem is having to have old spells that you don't use anymore at high levels on your bars, because you will need them in level scaled content.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I've noticed this with a few classes in FFXIV. The classes are designed well, but they are slowly falling into the trap WOW fell into at the beginning - ability bloat. 2.0 was fine. 3.0 is still *mostly* ok but a couple classes are suffering from ability bloat. If they go the same route of leaving everything intact and adding new abilities in 4.0 there are going to be problems. I don't really know what they can do to fix it at this point. Part of the problem is having to have old spells that you don't use anymore at high levels on your bars, because you will need them in level scaled content.
    From a BLM PoV, I simply don't see a need for additional buttons going forward; 3 full bars of spells at this point is more than enough. I've noticed SMN has just as many buttons.

The amount classes have now seems good to me. I state that on a small sample size, though.

To be honest the biggest offenders are cooldowns. Think about just how many rotational abilities there are and then compare them to the amount of cooldowns. I mean holy crap my Bard I believe has 6 +damage cooldowns. A Summoner probably has more. Half of my Paladins abilities are situational abilities.

Of course I say this but in the end I don't think I want it to be changed from how it is at the moment for the sake of simplification. I really like that there's a button for every situation. If anything maybe something like combing the two main debuffs from Warrior abilities into two but even that is eh for me.

The problem is 4.0. I really REALLY hope that they forgo new abilities and update the trait system. Add some new interesting traits that aren't just +20% duration on a buff.