Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Aren't Nose guards more like a 3-4 defense?

I played nose my senior year, which was lined up over the center. I hated it though because I always had a center and a guard to worry about.

4-3 was much better because you line up more outside the center.
    The nose in a 3-4 can line up directly over center or in one of the A gaps depending on the formation. In 4-3 over or 4-3 under one of the DTs lines up over an A gap while the other lines up over a B gap. I think the A gap DT (which Knighton did for Denver in his 2 years there) is technically a nose too in those situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    The nose in a 3-4 can line up directly over center or in one of the A gaps depending on the formation. In 4-3 over or 4-3 under one of the DTs lines up over an A gap while the other lines up over a B gap. I think the A gap DT (which Knighton did for Denver in his 2 years there) is technically a nose too in those situations.
    I like you, you can explain the details while I only knew the vague outlines. I hope you stick around this season, cause I love reading posts like that.

Obnoxious Patriots Fan Darth Belichick's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Patriots are clearly drafting a DB and O-Lineman in the draft. Only holes left, really.

10+ Year Old Account

Seahawks brought back one of my favorite "underrated" players of the early Pete Carroll days. His 2012 season was so good. It was incredible how bad the d-line was after he got hurt in that playoff game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Belichick View Post
    Patriots are clearly drafting a DB and O-Lineman in the draft. Only holes left, really.
    I wouldn't consider them holes, really. Holes are when you are missing starters or when you have unsuitable players at the position that really shouldn't be starting. Patriots have positions where they need depth, mostly with an eye on the future.

Corner and OT both have players with contracts ending after this season. We need players there but I don't think either position mandates spending an early pick. We can be flexible if there's a really good player that's slipped to us in a different position.

It's probable we'll spend some of our 4 picks in the top 100 on them though, absolutely.

- - - Updated - - -

Well then, Scott Chandler just had an operation on his knee that will keep him from playing this season, and pretty much ever again. Just shows how sneaky this game can be, when you lament someone playing badly down the stretch of the season, only to find out months later he's actually in need of surgery that will end his career.

Shame it had to work out this way fro Chandler, and I hope he can find some way to get healthy enough to enjoy his family again.

15+ Year Old Account
    True enough, they aren't holes per se, just areas that need depth. And those two areas are really the only place I can see that. RB could be a concern as well. While obviously just rumors and I apologize if I mentioned this before, however, I have heard an Amendola for Jamaal Charles trade as those are both needs for each team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Marquise Goodwin trading last year of NFL contract for Olympics!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...Lp5?li=BBnbfcL

Good luck to him. He made it in 2012 (didnt place but making it to the Olympics period is really good) which Mack Brown gave him time off to compete and practice for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Err? Knighton is a Defensive Tackle, the one that lines up over the C, known as nose tackle or nose guard. Not sure what you were thinking off, here.
    For some reason I thought he was an Olineman. I'll put it down to exhaustion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Kaepernick is gonna be a Bronco https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...78233743282177

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Looks like Kaepernick is gonna be a Bronco https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...78233743282177
    Last week it sounded like the ice had been broken between him and the 9ers, now this... not too sure what to believe. The roster implosion from the 9ers SB XLVII year is incredible. Then I look at the current Seahawks roster vs their own SB XLVIII team and it makes me thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Looks like Kaepernick is gonna be a Bronco
    Must be a slow day for him, because that is not even close to new (not a surprise given its ESPN). There is basically 0 chance it actually happens unless he takes a huge pay cut (basically Sanchez salary level is what is rumored to be the amount), and even then he would not be a guaranteed starter. He has no reason to take that much less to go to Denver either.

This is more likely to be a typical ESPN clickbait article than anything else, especially considering ESPN is the only place that even talks about Kaep to Denver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    I like the fans that expect him to take a 8 million dollar paycut to play for a "champion".
    Yeah, I'm guessing he has no problem leaving San Fran, but there's no way he's going into a QB competition in Denver with a grossly reduced contract. Denver wants him this badly, they can show it by paying him. And if they don;t well, have fun with Sanchez as your starting QB then, after you've shown to want to go to great lengths to get other QB's in to compete with him. Sanchez is not going to be happy either.

Fun fact: Mark Sanchez is only under contract for this year, if Denver screw up their relations with him then he has every reason to walk away next year. Even if they don't sign Kaepernick, they'll still have to figure out what to do long term.

Elway has proven he's personable and smart, but he's gotten himself into a problematic situation that's he's not just going to talk his way out of. I suspect he'll stick to his guns on Kaepernick and not get him signed, but Sanchez is a long way from being Peyton Manning, declining body or not. If they stick with just Sanchez I don't think it ends well for Denver this year.

Not including Jordan Norwood's contract (no idea what it is, his last one was around 700k per year) and factoring in draft picks Denver would be 3-4 million over the cap. Clady leaving would free up 8.9 million leaving somewhere around 5 million. Kaepernick would have to take almost a 7 million pay cut to even happen.

Manning was the worst QB in the league last year, and sucked horribly the second half the year before and Osweiler was barely better. Not saying Sanchez is good, but he would be an improvement over last years QB play. People also seem to completely ignore Trevor Siemian. If he shows any improvement from last preseason, I do not think Sanchez will even beat him out to begin with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Broncos need to get rid of Clady if they're gonna get anything done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are the Broncos going to just play with Von Miller on the franchise tag this year? No way they can afford all this.

Clady will probably stay on the roster until his cap space is needed for something else.

Are the Broncos going to just play with Von Miller on the franchise tag this year? No way they can afford all this.
    No one has played under the franchise tag since Elway took over, and I don't think any of the other deals were done before the draft though.

10+ Year Old Account
    His tag number might be cheaper than what they can get done via extension.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Clady will probably stay on the roster until his cap space is needed for something else.
    Like a QB?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    His tag number might be cheaper than what they can get done via extension.
    That's actually what I meant. Let him play on the tag to save cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's actually what I meant. Let him play on the tag to save cash.
    That would just mean Miller's price tag goes up next year, since he'd want to recoup the money they screwed him out of. It would also piss him off and possibly impact his attitude/productivity this year. Hell, if he decided not to report to camp without a new deal I'd perfectly understand it.

This is what I mean that Elway is in a difficult situation he can't bullshit his way out of. He needs actual money wizardry right now, not sweet talking. You can't talk the best player on your team away from getting the 20+ million he deserves, just as you can't talk a QB into accepting 5+ million in salary reduction. He has no leverage in either situation and is just going to have to cough up if he wants these players and wants them to be happy.

Structuring the deal so Miller makes 14 mill this year (same as the tag) and more after will work out fine with how the roster is currently structured. There are bigger contract guys that will be replaced by recent draft picks that already have played well. Ware and Colquitt (if he even makes it through this offseason) will be gone, and I doubt Sanders will be back. Marshall and Stewart are the only other free agents that will attract decent contracts for their positions (unless Sanchez somehow does not suck).

As for the QB situation, there are no guys that can start long term available (Glennon probably could but he is not for sure available). Hoyer and McCown are the only guys for sure available through trades that are actually better than Sanchez too. I would feel better about Sanchez, Siemian and a mid round pick like Hogan or something going into camp this year than getting Kaepernick.