http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...mony-1.3475730

Prime minister granted honorary headdress and aboriginal name on First Nation just southwest of Calgary

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau received thanks for his commitment to indigenous issues during an elaborate ceremony on the Tsuut'ina First Nation near Calgary Friday, where he was bestowed with a traditional headdress and an aboriginal name, Gumistiyi, which translates to "the one that keeps trying."

Trudeau received the red carpet treatment as he arrived at Tsuut'ina for private meetings with First Nations leaders before he and Assembly of First Nations National Chief Perry Bellegarde were presented with the honorary headdresses.

Once the public ceremony began, Trudeau received applause and shouts of approval as he spoke of how important it is, in his view, to renew Canada's "nation-to-nation relationship" with its indigenous people.

"I commit to you that the Government of Canada will walk with you on a path of true reconciliation, in partnership and in friendship. I will not lose sight of that goal," Trudeau told the gathered crowd.

"I will remember the responsibility of the great honour you bestow on me today."

In his opening remarks, Tsuut'ina Chief Roy Whitney-Onespot thanked Trudeau and his government for committing to a national inquiry on missing and murdered indigenous women.

"Our women are central in our community and give you thanks for recognizing the importance of justice for our women," Whitney-Onespot said.

Trudeau had accepted an invitation from Tsuut'ina to formally meet with band leaders and be briefed on First Nations issues including missing and murdered women, adequate water, social programming and economic development.The headdress, or war bonnet, symbolizes accomplishment, respect, bravery and peace building.

Tsuut'ina member Hal Eagletail, who acted as the master of ceremony, said the headdresses are only bestowed upon recipients the band believes will be warriors for them.

"We have the right to give this headdress to who we feel is worthy," Eagletail said. "In our Tsuut'ina culture, when you're elected a leader, you've earned that right to receive the headdress, because you need to go do battle for us."

Among those in attendance at the ceremony was Isaac Crane, 18, who was pleased to see Trudeau visit the First Nation to speak with aboriginal leaders.

"It's better than the previous prime minister," he said.
I sure hope the PM delivers on his promises. Especially regarding missing and murdered indigenous women.